Specific Examples of Ridiculous Inflation

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Specific Examples of Ridiculous Inflation

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:59 am

I'm starting this new thread to provide a place for us to discuss specific examples where inflation has gotten out of hand. Please provide specific details rather than vague comments like "gas has gone up a lot lately." Here is my example:

At our local Walmart, a box of 18 Extra Large eggs (Great Value store brand) cost me $4.96 on 10/10/22. On the 23rd, just 13 days later the same exact thing cost a whopping $7.24. That is an increase of 46% in just 13 days, which would be an unbelievable 1,291% for a year. Put another way, that box which cost $4.96 would cost $64.00 in just a single year! Yikes!

What examples do you have where inflation has gotten out of hand?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Specific Examples of Ridiculous Inflation

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:59 am

Egg-flation! Our local store raised their prices by $1.00 on the same 18 pack of eggs in one week time. I tried a different store and they had followed suit. They said it was because of the bird flu. The producers have had to kill off whole flocks to prevent spread. Less birds/less eggs. I suspect it is more than that as well. Boneless chicken has increased from $1.99 to $2.99 just recently (less than a month time). They're saying Turkeys will be much more expensive this year and possibly hard to find. Plan accordingly if you're a traditionalist.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Specific Examples of Ridiculous Inflation

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:32 am

Wholes Foods has some brands of eggs that go for $10/dozen now. Last year, $6 was the high water mark for premium organic, cage-free, etc. egg dozen. Whole Foods here though has a dozen eggs going for $3.49:

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/produc ... b07pfdyt9t

Two other things. Egg producers inflated the description of egg sizes. The large is what medium used to be and x-large is what large use to be IMHO. I see it with all the store brand eggs. Second, I figured egg prices were going up simply because the producers realized people would substitute their meat choices with something cheaper as meat prices went up. I did not know that bird flu and maybe facility fires caused an egg shortage.

I did get some chicken breasts last night for $1.99/lb. I could not see myself spending $6,$7,...$10,etc. for a cut of beef. Chicken was on sale.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions