So...Anyone up for a Bank Run?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

So...Anyone up for a Bank Run?

Postby Morsecode » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:56 am

I'll go out on a limb and project that whatever comes out of Joey's mouth at 8:01 this morning will be designed to deflect and detract rather than address the underlying cause(s) for the current situation.

Never let a crisis go to waste. Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f things up. Remember those quotes this week as regional banks hang on by their fingernails.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: So...Anyone up for a Bank Run?

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:57 am

Not to mention there are now 2 banks with the problem. SVB and Signature:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/12/regulat ... -risk.html

First Republic is next.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:44 am

Morsecode wrote:I'll go out on a limb and project that whatever comes out of Joey's mouth at 8:01 this morning will be designed to deflect and detract rather than address the underlying cause(s) for the current situation.

Never let a crisis go to waste. Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f things up. Remember those quotes this week as regional banks hang on by their fingernails.

Trump would've allowed the same things to happen. You cannot have zero interest rates forever, that's what Trump wanted.

NO politician(s) can stop this. Some type of financial system crash is inevitable. The timing is impossible to predict.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:17 am

Morsecode wrote:I'll go out on a limb and project that whatever comes out of Joey's mouth at 8:01 this morning will be designed to deflect and detract rather than address the underlying cause(s) for the current situation.

His update was basically 10 min of my life that I won't get back. He reads out the same thing that was already posted online, ignores reporter questions, and tries to walk out of the room without falling down. I hope everyone who voted for him likes what they got.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:05 am

I think Americans are likely to be far more reactionary to perceived instability going forward. Everything (in this instance, deposits) will become COVID toilet paper panic runs. The rub is that it's sort of self-reinforcing, and even the level-headed are caught in a bind. If everyone else is making a run on a bank (or toilet paper, or gas); being the person who doesn't want to contribute to the panic to help maintain stability can mean you're the one person left empty-handed.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:52 pm

Diversify. Even with modest assets. Go with a credit union and or a local bank, a major regional with a conservative balance sheet, and a national or multi regional bank. Split up your money but only to the extent that you don't incur extra fees. Split up deposits. Transfer money between banks to keep funds balanced. Make sure you keep some cash in a hidden /safe spot that is not in a SDB.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:42 pm

68Camaro wrote:Diversify. Even with modest assets. Go with a credit union and or a local bank, a major regional with a conservative balance sheet, and a national or multi regional bank. Split up your money but only to the extent that you don't incur extra fees. Split up deposits. Transfer money between banks to keep funds balanced. Make sure you keep some cash in a hidden /safe spot that is not in a SDB.

Incidentally (and ironically), it appears that lack of diversification was SVB's downfall.

Individual, or institution -- heed 68's words.

"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:36 pm

Out of curiosity, I was spelunking the ole FDIC site. There have been over 120 bank failures in the last decade(ish). All of the assets of those banks combined doesn't equal the assets of this single bank.

Year : Number of Bank Failures
2012 : 51
2013 : 24
2014 : 18
2015 : 8
2016 : 5
2017 : 8
2018 : 0
2019 : 4
2020 : 4
2021 : 0
2022 : 0
2023 : 1 (so far... and it's a big one)

Combined assets (in millions) of the 122 banks: $35,455
Assets of the 1 (in millions): $209,000 :shock:

This is also (from what I can find) the first failure from a run on a bank since '08.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:35 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:Out of curiosity, I was spelunking the ole FDIC site. There have been over 120 bank failures in the last decade(ish). All of the assets of those banks combined doesn't equal the assets of this single bank.

This is also (from what I can find) the first failure from a run on a bank since '08.

Nice post!

Does anyone want to talk about this from a stock market standpoint and how to play it? If not, I won’t spend a lot of time working up names and a potential strategy.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:21 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:Out of curiosity, I was spelunking the ole FDIC site. There have been over 120 bank failures in the last decade(ish). All of the assets of those banks combined doesn't equal the assets of this single bank.

Billions, not millions.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:15 am

LOL just woke up and forget exact numbers offhand but I happened to look this up myself yesterday and it was something like 570 banks I believe since 01. (according to your same source) Mostly in the 08-09 range. So during that period it was a new bank every few days on average for over two years. Makes me wonder why people are hyping this up so heavily. A guess I have is a build up to more regulations on cryptos, but obviously just a guess.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:27 pm

It's getting attention because if it had been left alone (as it should have been) it would have left a trail of destruction from the knock on effect. But TPTB also know to use these events for their own benefit so they are looking for more control.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:11 am

68Camaro wrote:It's getting attention because if it had been left alone (as it should have been) it would have left a trail of destruction from the knock on effect. But TPTB also know to use these events for their own benefit so they are looking for more control.

Contagion! European banks getting dumped today. Credit Suisse will be gone soon. Hold on to your hats (and PMs).
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:51 am

Makes me wonder who is short selling Credit Suisse? George Soros? This isn't normal fear of bank runs; I smell something odd here. Like an orchestrated take down of major institutions.
68Camaro

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:12 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Billions, not millions.

I know it's clunky (that's the way FDIC had them listed), but the numbers were given in millions.

$209,000 in millions = 209,000,000,000

---------------------

Interestingly, FDIC's assessment of SVB's assets is about 3 billion less than SVB's website. I imagine once you get up into those numbers though, a tiny shift in rates makes billions appear and disappear in the blink of an eye.

Right now, it fortunately looks like the assets exceed deposits (by over 30 billion), so taxpayers might not be on the hook for this one.
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:26 am

Holy Cow! Just checked the bonds for sale in my TD Ameritrade account. In the "A3" rated section (INVESTMENT GRADE!) there's page after page of Credit Suisse bonds for sale at massive discounts. There's a May 2023 1% Credit Suisse bond selling for under 90 with a annualized yield to maturity of almost 83% !!!!!!! Wha........???

Looks like Saudi's announced they are not adding anymore of their money into Credit Suisse. With the number of bonds listed for sale at massive discounts and the CS stock now a penny stock, I think Credit Suisse might be next to fall my friends. So, Silvergate, SVB, Signature bank.....Credit Suisse? Hmmmm...

BUY GOLD!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:08 am

68Camaro wrote:Makes me wonder who is short selling Credit Suisse? George Soros? This isn't normal fear of bank runs; I smell something odd here. Like an orchestrated take down of major institutions.

Great googely-moogely, the CS stock in the last week has dropped almost 40% (if my dirty math is correct).
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:57 pm

Aaaaaand the Swiss National Bank comes in for the rescue of Credit Suisse with a $54 billion loan.

This world is warped.

Keep stacking gold.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:55 am

silverflake wrote:Aaaaaand the Swiss National Bank comes in for the rescue of Credit Suisse with a $54 billion loan.

This world is warped.

Keep stacking gold.

CS should've failed a long time ago. So many problems.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:49 pm

I have accounts in several different banks. Since the bank failures that took place just a week ago, I have gotten emails from ALL of the banks telling me how great of shape financially they are in and how stable they are. And that I have nothing to worry about and that my money and accounts with them are safe.

Funny before the bank collapses started happening, I never heard anything from them about what a great costumer I was and how glad they were to provide me with banking services.

I went to one of them today and the teller told me they have seen a lot of cash leave the bank in the last week.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:22 pm

Do you really feel safe. The FDIC has insurance funds of $128 billion for all the US banks. Silicon Valley and Signature had assets of $350 billion. In contrast much more highly regulated and smaller Credit Unions have $228 billion in the NCUA insurance fund.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:10 am

68Camaro wrote:Makes me wonder who is short selling Credit Suisse? George Soros? This isn't normal fear of bank runs; I smell something odd here. Like an orchestrated take down of major institutions.

Maybe something odd is going on, but shorting a $2 stock that was well over $70 back ca. 2007 just doesn’t make sense. The big money has already been made. Furthermore, I tried placing an order to short only 100 shares and my broker’s system rejected the order, saying it is Hard to Borrow, meaning all shares have been loaned out to other short sellers already.

Also, my understanding is that shares held in non-margin accounts such as retirement accounts are ineligible to be loaned out to short sellers.

I would almost always be VERY NERVOUS about shorting something so cheap already. If a $2 stock bounces to only $3, you are LOSING 50%. Ouch! No thanks!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions