Maine credit union won't accept coins

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Maine credit union won't accept coins

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:04 am

I expect other credit unions and banks to follow:

www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/maine-cre ... 007f&ei=12
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Maine credit union won't accept coins

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:44 am

A few months back, I cashed in some coin at my CU. They have a lobby coin counter. I had about $0.36 that was rejected. When I gave the teller the receipt for the counter, I also handed over the $0.36. They refused, and said they don't accept any coin.

It was one of those moments where I wished I was ridiculously wealthy, and could have used the bludgeon of pettiness and asked to close my account holding tens of millions.

Instead, I put the coins back in my pocket, and grumbled passive-aggressively as I walked to my car.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:06 pm

You don't have to be wealthy to stand up to bullsheet. Just close your account and open a new one with one of their competitors!
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:23 pm

Silver4face wrote:You don't have to be wealthy to stand up to bullsheet. Just close your account and open a new one with one of their competitors!

Admittedly, I often let principle lose out to potential inconvenience. Closing my account would have been less than a rounding error on their balance sheet, and every direct deposit and direct withdrawal is wrapped into that account.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:02 pm

It is definitely a sign of the end when a financial institution gives you pushback on depositing U.S. Currency.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:22 pm

thecrazyone wrote:It is definitely a sign of the end when a financial institution gives you pushback on depositing U.S. Currency.

VERY INTERESTING POINT! Well said and brief.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:16 am

Afterthought. I wonder what the credit union does when a member wants to cash a check there and the amount has a decimal amount of dollars in it -ie- $234.56 vs $234 . They won't round up that is for sure.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:07 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:Afterthought. I wonder what the credit union does when a member wants to cash a check there and the amount has a decimal amount of dollars in it -ie- $234.56 vs $234 . They won't round up that is for sure.

Maybe they might try a split transaction, giving the person $234 in cash but then depositing the remaining 56 cents into an account. Just a thought.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Silver4face » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:51 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
JerrySpringer wrote:Afterthought. I wonder what the credit union does when a member wants to cash a check there and the amount has a decimal amount of dollars in it -ie- $234.56 vs $234 . They won't round up that is for sure.

Maybe they might try a split transaction, giving the person $234 in cash but then depositing the remaining 56 cents into an account. Just a thought.

That's not a bad thought and not really a bad idea either. However, I have a feeling that this is a corrupt CU. If corrupt, they will/would pocket the 56 cents.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions