For Those w/ Speculative $ for Stocks- Tupperware (TUP)

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

For Those w/ Speculative $ for Stocks- Tupperware (TUP)

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:20 pm

For those who have a speculative component to their stock portfolios...

You might want to consider Tupperware (Ticker: TUP). Right now it reminds me of the meme stock craze a couple years ago (AMC, BBBY, CVNA, GME, etc.). Look back and you will see those stocks went absolutely wild, but came down hard after sharp moves up.

Keep in mind that the New York Stock Exchange has threatened to delist TUP stock since the price fell below $1/share and the market cap fell below $50 million. TUP is expected to announce a plan for reversing course to the NYSE. This could potentially involve doing a reverse stock split to prop up the stock price. A reverse stock split is similar to having a single $10 bill instead of ten $1 bills.

In just 4 trading days this stock went from 61 cents a share to $2.13, before closing today at $1.90, up 42% for the day. Volume has skyrocketed along with the price which tells me this is being treated a lot like the meme stocks were a few years ago.

The company is still losing money and this is definitely speculative in nature. I'd be terrified to short this stock and bet on it going down right now. even though I am normally comfortable betting on stocks going down (see my recent comments on UPS, for instance). As a result, I decided to buy some stock. I am prepared to double down on a decent pullback if need be.

FYI- Competitor Newell Brands (Ticker: NWL) owns Rubbermaid.

Good luck to all.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: For Those w/ Speculative $ for Stocks- Tupperware (TUP)

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:10 am

Bump- this thing is flying!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:57 am

Up over 38% so far today. :shock:
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:42 am

Last week I was comfortable holding a modest sized position overnight. With earnings scheduled to be announced this week and earnings from previous years needing to be restated, I am no longer comfortable holding this overnight. Still, this is a fun stock to daytrade. I am in all honesty having a hard time seeing how this company survives long-term, so it is still VERY SPECULATIVE! Enjoy the ride!

Recyclersteve

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions