How to profit from the dealer "junk box"

The Education Area. By request, this forum is for posting and discussing articles written by realcent members on forum related topics.

Authors should start a new thread for each article, blog post, or how to guide. All Members are encouraged to comment on and discuss the posted piece.

How to profit from the dealer "junk box"

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:15 pm

UPDATE 2/5/16

Almost every brick and mortar coin dealer has a foreign junk box. Usually 10, 8, 7, or 5 for a dollar, something like that. You know the deal.

Here is how to profit....

SOP:
-Don't tell the dealer you are buying them for the purpose of re-selling for profit, most 'brick n mortar' dealers are weird and would rather lose money than make money but see you make even more money. :shh:
-If there is a coin that obviously shouldn't be in there, like a giant silver coin, do the right thing and tell them and offer to buy it at a higher price - this will go a long way.
-If there are American coins in there, pick them out and give them to the dealer as a courtesy.
-Always get at least 10 coins no matter what or you look like a cherry-picker, which you are, but you're not a jerk. :P

Now, the source of profit:

1. Numismatics: obviously this is very broad and compasses hundreds of countries over hundreds of years. You will have to do your own research on this category because no post I make is going to cover even 1% of the possibilities. Old does not always mean rare and rare does not always mean valuable. Trial and error is not very painful when its 10 cents per trial, so have fun.
2. Silver: this is pretty obvious. Lots of old Scandinavian stuff is 40% and doesn't ring much, so it falls through the cracks.
3. .999 Nickel - French, Dutch, Belgian, Canadian, Bahamas, French Polynesia, etc. See the RC post on .999 Ni
4. Cupro-Nickel - Anything equal to or bigger than a Kennedy Half Dollar is worth over 12 cents, as of this post ***UPDATE - THAT WAS IN 2011 - METALS ARE NOW IN THE TANK*****
5. Copper - Old British Pennies and Mexican 20 Centavos come to mind.

6. Most importantly, Face Value coinage. I have an interest in teaching everyone this since I hope you will sell it to me. :D You can find absurd amounts of FV coinage in junk bins. Most dealers are already pulling out Euros, Pounds, and Canadian, but you can generally find tons of other stuff. Look for everything that I have listed here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34277 and mail it to Portland to get paid 8-)

Enjoy the thrill of the hunt !!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Re: How to profit from the dealer "junk box"

Postby Slaphot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks for the post. I went to the coin shop this Saturday and got a few Canadian dollars, a few German Marks, a large British penny, and a Silver Netherlands Gulden worth over $7 melt. All for less than 3 dollars. I'm working on a package for you, but I'd like to get a large amount before I ship. There is a big show in a few weeks and I know a dealer there who always has some goodies in his junk box.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jmaii » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Every time I go to the coin shop somebody is already looking in the junk box. I'm afraid when I finally get to look it's going to be picked clean! Biggest problem is after I look through circulated coins my wife won't let me touch her, our son, or my lunch until I wash from fingertips to elbows. :sick:
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 8bluecrayon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Not a bad idea.. think i will give it a try.
My 2 cents...
8bluecrayon

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:13 pm

jmaii wrote:Biggest problem is after I look through circulated coins my wife won't let me touch her, our son, or my lunch until I wash from fingertips to elbows. :sick:

In New Jersey, this is probably appropriate protocol :P :lol:

AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 am

I've done this and found quite a few foreign nickel coins from places like the Netherlands and France (and only occasionally Ecuador and So. Africa). Some of the smaller sized ones aren't worth buying with metals prices being so depressed. You will want to have a good foreign coin catalog to differentiate between the contenders and the pretenders. If you can, in the interest of being discrete, you might want to create a cheat sheet with 1-2 pages of notes on the really good stuff. This way, if you don't flash your notes conspicuously, you won't look like someone cherry picking.

I haven't really had too much luck finding foreign silver in the junk boxes.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:33 am

updated this post a little - can't believe its been up since 2011!

AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Silver4face » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:57 pm

Now is the time to attack these junk boxes!!!!! :mrgreen:
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!