Smartphone App Called "Tunity"

The Education Area. By request, this forum is for posting and discussing articles written by realcent members on forum related topics.

Authors should start a new thread for each article, blog post, or how to guide. All Members are encouraged to comment on and discuss the posted piece.

Smartphone App Called "Tunity"

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:24 am

I just found a very impressive app that some of you might like called Tunity.

On Thursday I saw a friend at work pointing his cell phone at a muted TV we have in our work area. I asked him what he was doing and he explained that he installed this new app (works on iPhones- not sure about Samsung Galaxy). Anyhow, the app is called Tunity (think Opportunity with the first part chopped off).

First you install the free app. Then you point your cell phone at a TV. Somehow it knows what channel you are watching and, voila, you have the sound from the TV on your cell phone. Keep in mind that it is sound only, not a picture (to reduce the demand for bandwidth).

There are lots of possibilities. Imagine going into a sports bar. There are 10 TV's tuned to different stations and the one game with volume is your home team. You, having grown up 1,000 miles away want to listen to a game that nobody else will likely want. So you point your cell phone at the TV with the game you want and all of a sudden you have the sound on your cell phone. I was at a sports bar recently and the noise from the crowd was so loud that I couldn't hear the game itself. This would have really come in handy for that game.

This would also work at airports, the waiting area in a doctor's office, a fitness club, etc.

Regarding the distance you can be away from the TV and still get reception, I went to the Men's room at work and had no issues. Break room- no problem. Went out and walked around the parking lot with no problem. Once I was in my car and got onto the nearest street I lost the signal. At home you could have the TV on inside and be out in the yard doing work but still listening to the audio.

There is one other thing I thought of for those who are really frugal. You could go to a sports bar and take a picture of the game you want to watch. Then go sit in your car and you've got the game for free.

There was no static whatsoever. I believe they have about 100 channels available right now.

I'm super impressed with this free app.

I went on their website Thursday night to read up a bit on it, but by Friday I couldn't get on the site at all. I'm guessing it may have crashed from all the people trying to access it.

Has anyone else seen this app and what do you think about it? Do you think this is a product with staying power?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Smartphone App Called "Tunity"

Postby Saabman » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:17 am

I just saw
This at the gym I go to. Looks interesting.
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:57 pm

I tried this Saturday at a sports bar. I was watching Cubs-Dodgers Game 6 being aired from Wrigley Field. The people in the bar were so loud that at times it was impossible to hear the TV. But with Tunity I had the sound at my table and could just hold it up to my ear. Heck, I could have worn earbuds if necessary. That little app worked just great.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justoneguy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:40 am

I've installed it but,
haven't had a chance/need to use it yet. Thanks
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:19 pm

For those who choose to live the life of "the plugged it" this just has to be nirvana. I prefer to be one of "the aware" instead. But, thanks for making me aware . . . :lol:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Guides/Articles/Blogs Written By Realcent Members