Self-directed IRA or 401k

The Education Area. By request, this forum is for posting and discussing articles written by realcent members on forum related topics.

Authors should start a new thread for each article, blog post, or how to guide. All Members are encouraged to comment on and discuss the posted piece.

Self-directed IRA or 401k

Postby commoncents » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:06 am

I would like to hear from those that have a self-directed 401k or IRA. The choices of my 401k are limited and vulnerable to counterparty risk. I need to know more about the experiences of people that have had a self-directed IRA for several years.
Did their fees go up each year? If so, how much?
Which company did you use to set up?
Who is your custodian?
How good has the service been?
What sort of non-stock / non-bond investments have you put your self-directed IRA into and how was the servicing and processing of your transactions?

In general, I need to learn a lot more about this than I can get from the New York Life agent (which is nothing) and from the advertising on the vendor web sites on the internet ( which is all written by the seller of the service - therefore of questionable reliability).
Don't make me hungry - you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry !
commoncents
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Self-directed IRA or 401k

Postby barrytrot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 am

The only thing that matters:

Do you get "employer matching" in the 401k. If so, do that at least up to the maximum level of employer matching for sure!

Other than that, there is not nearly as much difference as you might think. It's nice to manage your own investments but most people do that pretty poorly :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Self-directed IRA or 401k

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:20 am

I did a SEP a few years back when I was self contracting and used it to pour money into to lower my tax basis. If I recall the limits were around 25% of your income in a year you could direct tax free into it. Opened it with a large broker and never paid fees on anything. Looked into the self directed 401k but there were too many fees associated with it. The SEP is the simplest/cheapest self directed plan you can do I believe. Parked my money into a targeted retirement date plan and forgot about it. While you still pay fees to the fund you dont have any other fees.

From the US department of Labor website:

Simplified Employee Pension plans (SEPs) can provide a significant source of income at retirement by allowing employers to set aside money in retirement accounts for themselves and their employees. Under a SEP, an employer contributes directly to traditional individual retirement accounts (SEP-IRAs) for all employees (including the employer). A SEP does not have the start-up and operating costs of a conventional retirement plan and allows for a contribution of up to 25 percent of each employee’s pay.

Advantages Of A SEP

-Contributions to a SEP are tax deductible and your business pays no taxes on the earnings on the investments.

-You are not locked into making contributions every year. In fact, you decide each year whether, and how much, to contribute to your employees’ SEP-IRAs.

-Generally, you do not have to file any documents with the government.

-Sole proprietors, partnerships, and corporations, including S corporations, can set up SEPs.

-You may be eligible for a tax credit of up to $500 per year for each of the first 3 years for the cost of starting the plan.

-Administrative costs are low.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Guides/Articles/Blogs Written By Realcent Members