Library of Senior Discounts

The Education Area. By request, this forum is for posting and discussing articles written by realcent members on forum related topics.

Authors should start a new thread for each article, blog post, or how to guide. All Members are encouraged to comment on and discuss the posted piece.

Library of Senior Discounts

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:25 pm

I am recently retired but not yet 65. It occurred to me that there are probably tons of places out there which have senior discounts that many of us are not aware of. I want to refrain from discounts at places like Joe's Waffle House in Poughkeepsie, a one-of-a-kind place (just made up the name) or your local golf course. I'd like to publish discounts available from places that have locations either nationwide or in at least 20 or so states. I will look at this thread periodically and create a single list at the top of this thread which has things in order- alpha by name of business. Please provide the name of the business, age required for discount, amount of the discount, and any remarks (i.e., discount doesn't apply during dinner hours). You can also indicate details about loyalty programs (i.e., 1 free meal for every 10 purchases). Let's forget discounts that expire, such as 20% off til November 30, 2017.

I'm all about saving money when I can. This is an area where we can all help each other out. Thanks in advance. Here is the first one:

NOODLES & CO., 15% discount, no age requirement (manager said that anyone who asks for a discount gets 15% automatically- I never knew till today and I've been going there for years)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Nation of Panama

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:00 pm

While this is not a "seinor" discount IT IS a retiree discount. There just isn't any age requirement.

Pensionado Program: 50% off entertainment anywhere in the country (movies, theaters, concerts, sporting events); 30% off bus, boat, and train fares; 25% off airline tickets; 25% off monthly energy bills; 30% to 50% off hotel stays; 15% off hospital bills unless insurance applies; 25% off at restaurants; 15% off at fast food restaurants;10% off prescription medications; Phone, water, and electricity bills, dentist and doctor visits, and more can be discounted by varying amounts; 1-time exemption on the importation of household goods up to $10,000 and an exemption from duties on the importation or local purchase of a car (every two years).

Other discounts and programs may apply.

There is no minimum or maximum age.

$1000 a month is your minimum required monthly pension draw.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: Library of Senior Discounts

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 pm

That's Costa Rica?

Call me slow, but I just now realized that your post title says "Panama". I hadn't heard of the term pensionado, but I had heard of Costa Rica being a retirement haven. Searching for that term yields hits for both countries.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Guides/Articles/Blogs Written By Realcent Members