coffee arbitrage

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

coffee arbitrage

Postby Merwanseth » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm not necessarily suggesting it, but I think it is an interesting concept.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... rices.html
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Re: coffee arbitrage

Postby Morsecode » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 pm

Seems plausible. Couldn't you also do the same at Costco?

:geek:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Where do you sell this coffee? Your gonna have selling fees or some kind of overhead. That is certainly worth mentioning. Not bashing the idea really, but it was a poorly written article IMHO.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:14 am

If one was a coffee distributor, one should stock up, maybe... Maybe because most of your clients will also be stocking up since they all know the price increase is coming. Also as the article correctly notes, this is not arbitrage because you are buying and reselling later, not buying in market A and selling in market B seconds, or at least hours later.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:53 am

It's a form of bacon investing (which I noted some days ago) though perhaps on a larger scale if you are reselling. You can do coffee investing yourself on a smaller scale (presuming you drink coffee) if you buy low to stock, and drink (for yourself) high. I have a large stock - I only buy on sale, but that lets me buy the best coffees and enjoy the best all year long for the same (or slightly higher) price as average to poor coffees if I only bought on demand.

Buy low, drink high! (the corollary to buy low, eat high)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:47 am

I buy most of my food this way. Stock up with coupons or sales and always have a food (and other consumable supplies) on hand. Ever seen extreme couponing? That is my basement.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:33 pm

The US tax structure punishes businesses that hold onto stock. The various gov'ts have not found a way to punish end consumers who stock up for their own use.

Be wary of anti hoarding laws, if things go gunnysack.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About