I love using old stamps

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

I love using old stamps

Postby FatherRosado » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:22 am

A friend gave me a bunch of old .08 and .10 stamps. I love using them. Free shipping and definitely an eye catcher. One post man told me he never saw these kind of stamps. :angel:
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I love using old stamps

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 am

FatherRosado wrote:A friend gave me a bunch of old .08 and .10 stamps. I love using them. Free shipping and definitely an eye catcher. One post man told me he never saw these kind of stamps. :angel:

I guess that must make me ancient. :sick: I like using "old" stamps... two and three cent ones :oops: :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Country » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 am

Me too! :thumbup:

The best thing though is that you can get 'em on EBAY for 20% or better off face value.... :D
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:54 am

old stamps are cool :mrgreen:

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Country » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Of note: Special Delivery stamps - I see one there - are INVALID FOR USE on letters and packages anymore. :roll:

Old airmail stamps are OK for use as postage... :D
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby FatherRosado » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:17 pm

Country wrote:Of note: Special Delivery stamps - I see one there - are INVALID FOR USE on letters and packages anymore. :roll:

Old airmail stamps are OK for use as postage... :D

I got mine from an older priest who didn't want them. So when you get mail from me with old stamps it cost me nothing :D
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:28 pm

It is great to get a discount on postage using old stamps, and I like the art and history of them. People like getting them on packages too as it makes them more pretty and interesting. I sell a fair amount of stuff on e-bay and use them for my packages. I been buying them when I can find them for a good deal.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:39 am

blackrabbit wrote:It is great to get a discount on postage using old stamps, and I like the art and history of them. People like getting them on packages too as it makes them more pretty and interesting. I sell a fair amount of stuff on e-bay and use them for my packages. I been buying them when I can find them for a good deal.

I knew you would chime in on this one! I love getting packages from blackrabbit. The last couple were heavier, so they were almost totally covered with lower denomination stamps. Its funny to see the look on the mailman's face when he drops it off. It's also cool to check out the wide variety of old stamps. Trip down memory lane, haha.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:00 pm

I have been trying to revive the stamp collecting market by using up all the old stamps out there so the remaining ones become truly rare. :lol:
I do have a bunch of stamps that are around 100 years old that I got for less than face value. I can't bring myself to use those for postage but I have burned through a large amount of the ones from the 1940's and younger.

Forever stamps seem like the only stamps that are a good long term investment as they will actually increase in real value as the postage price goes up. I buy them when I can find a deal on them too, but you usually cant find them for too much of a discount.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby merchoarder » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:57 pm

I agree! They are cool! I've been a small time amateur stamp collector probably since I was about 4 or 5. Collected plate blocks for years, it was always fun going to the post office when I was a kid as the postmaster would save them for me.

Anyway, years ago I thought it would be fun to try and collect as many different cancelled blocks of four as I could. A labor love as I'm pretty certain they will never be worth much although I do have some higher value early blocks. Many of the blocks in this collection have come from eBay sellers and from members here. So in conclusion, I love using them and ESPECIALLY receiving them :thumbup:
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mishra142 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:06 pm

id like to tranlate that 20% savings from getting old stamps on ebay to shipping medium flat rates but it doesnt seem feasible to me. and you can't tape over stamps i dont think? thoughts?
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:36 pm

I've shipped plenty of medium flat rate boxes using old and newer stamps. I have bought big lots of stamps that have many different denominations for 70% or less and have got inverted Jennys for 83%. I just use some higher value ones to get somewhat close to the shipping cost and then finish off the space available using lower value ones. You cant tape over stamps but you can get away with taping just the edge of them if they are not sticking well. A glue stick also comes in handy sometimes. It takes more time to do this but buyers like the packages and you save some good money. I am now familiar with almost every stamp made by the USPS since the 40's!
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:57 pm

Yep a little glue helps as some don't have much gum left on them! Fun to use!
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:02 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I've shipped plenty of medium flat rate boxes using old and newer stamps. I have bought big lots of stamps that have many different denominations for 70% or less and have got inverted Jennys for 83%. I just use some higher value ones to get somewhat close to the shipping cost and then finish off the space available using lower value ones. You cant tape over stamps but you can get away with taping just the edge of them if they are not sticking well. A glue stick also comes in handy sometimes. It takes more time to do this but buyers like the packages and you save some good money. I am now familiar with almost every stamp made by the USPS since the 40's!

I've said before we send out lots of "good" stuff disguised in a box covered with old postage stamps! :lol:
hobo finds

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About