Anyone used plastic buckets burried long term?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Anyone used plastic buckets burried long term?

Postby coppernickel » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:27 am

Think of doing a little "gardening," but not sure how plastic buckets would hold up. Has anyone burried plasitc buckets and left for a few years? How did they hold up?

:?:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Anyone used plastic buckets burried long term?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:49 pm

I'd think heavy duty PVC pipe would hold up a lot better with caps on each end and buried deep enough so that metal detectors couldn't register a reading. I remember speaking with a man from California who had a bunch buried in his backyard. I always wondered what he would have done if an earthquake shifted the position of his holdings. I don't claim to have any personal knowledge here, so you should get a second opinion before spending any money. And watch out for any drones flying overhead when you are burying your precious stash. It is amazing that we have to be so careful on our own properties now...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:45 pm

The buckets are not the problem; the lids are.

I find they become brittle in the garage, even when not exposed to UV. Buried, they might do better...not sure if there's any science to back that up.

If I were going to use buckets I'd slide one inside another, doubling up the wall strength, and use vacuum sealed bags for whatever I was stashing inside.

PVC on the other hand has been excavated after 50 years and found to be 100%. Some estimates say PVC underground might last 1000 years.

Which is good, cause I buried some "items" on my property on Cape Breton in 2005, figuring it was better than taking my chances at the border crossings back and forth. Then I unexpectedly spur of the moment sold the land 6 months later. Doh!!

Can't believe that it's been ten years since I've been back.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:45 am

You might consider going to an Army/Navy surplus store and asking what they have. They likely have something that can be buried underground for a long time that might provide safe and perhaps airtight/watertight storage.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Bucketgirl » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:46 pm

I've done some research on this plastic/PVC storage. I like the pickle barrels that you can get from Firehouse Subs. Food grade, yes they do smell like pickles but your food you store inside won't taste like pickles :)
However, the PVC pipe. I've heard that any metals stored underground in PVC will corrode. The PVC off gases something that reacts to metals (wonder about effects to other stuff, ie food...). My findings suggest going with the black sewer/water pipe, yet its hard to get the ends sealed up because the pipe isn't flat (wavy like).
I would agree with wrapping up whatever you put inside. I would think glass would be good to store food inside the bucket. I would like to do research on storing items (food) in plastics long term. I have heard a lot lately about how women shouldn't drink water from plastic water bottles that have been in your car for long periods.
Something to ponder.
Bucketgirl

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:12 pm

I have no idea what buckets are at the bottom of the pond!! :D

You could try something under the above ground pool.. Maybe a 2 gal inside of the 5 gal.. 10 years and counting. Maybe in another 5 or so when the new one goes in we'll see how they hold up. Err... Wondering how that safe is doing... Lol
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:01 pm

Bucketgirl wrote:However, the PVC pipe. I've heard that any metals stored underground in PVC will corrode. The PVC off gases something that reacts to metals (wonder about effects to other stuff, ie food...).

Gee. "Polyvinyl chloride"

Wonder what the problem might be. :D
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About