What Could You Do For $20 In a Day?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

What Could You Do For $20 In a Day?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:06 am

I want to start a bit of a different kind of thread to stimulate some thought... What could you do in a day to scrape up an extra $20 if you had to? I don't want this to get too intense and there is no prize for the winner. The purpose is to stimulate creative thought and perhaps teach others.

Guidelines- 1) You can't do more of what you already do for a living (I.e., working OT at your job). 2). Assume that you have a vehicle full of gas that you can use. 3) assume that there are no chaotic or unsafe conditions you need to be concerned about. 4) unlike the real world, if you make $1,000 or more it is no better than earning $20. 5) I'm not gonna score all the responses, but you get one point for realistically having the potential to earn $20 in a single day. You then get one additional point for each type of income stream. 6) don't make up stuff that's you'd never do (or at least mention that you wouldn't really do it). 7) you can't sell or barter anything you already own 8) you can't get coins from a bank and look for silver or wheaties or coins of value.

I'll start. I think I could find some spare change at a Coinstar machine or in a vending machine or pay phone. Then I could give blood. And then I could do some scrapping from trash bins of local businesses or Craig's List curbside pickups.
Getting $20 gives me 1 point. The three different ways of making money gives me three additional points for a total of 4 points.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What Could You Do For $20 In a Day?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:36 am

Cut your own hair.

Mow your own lawn. (Or shovel your own drive, for those up north.)

Change your own oil.

Only buy food on sale, in bulk.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby knibloe » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:45 am

Sell fire wood
collect and sell hickory nuts and/or walnuts
collect cans and bottles from the roadside
curbside pickup of scrap metal.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:42 am

Walk through bars on a Friday night with your eyes on the floor - I worked in a bar for 9 years, can't tell you how much money I found on the floor

Sell hugs for $1 outside bingo hall

Challenge drunk people to feats of strength for $

Tomorrow in particular, shovel snow

Slip and fall in the mall, settle out of court for $20

Catch perch and sell

Visit nursing home, claim it is my birthday

Find lonely man, have wife show boobs

These are all things that I could do tomorrow to make $20 that I feel pretty confident would work. Would I do all of these things? I suppose it would depend on how badly I needed $20!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppernickel » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:12 am

Sell plasma.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:36 am

coppernickel wrote:Sell plasma.

Took my idea. But does selling plasma/blood break the rule about not selling things you already own?
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:46 am

Drive around to different Goodwills, find valuable items for cheap, and sell them on ebay.

Drive around the morning of trash collection with your truck, load up on anything/everything you can find, then put it all in a yard sale.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:36 pm

brian0918 wrote:
coppernickel wrote:Sell plasma.

Took my idea. But does selling plasma/blood break the rule about not selling things you already own?

I think that selling plasma or giving blood would be ok.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Treetop » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:29 pm

This one is very regional and seasonal but in many places there are wild foods you could collect for good money. As a kid I would find mushrooms for a local guy for 30 bucks a pound. Out here in the SW I can collect pinon nuts and readily sell them. A guy in west virginia I know from gardening forums makes a few k a year collecting various herbs, all legal stuff. Some of these things are rather valuable since they are wild and seasonal.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:57 pm

I know old ginseng roots can bring big bucks.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby brian0918 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:58 pm

:(
Thogey wrote:I know old ginseng roots can bring big bucks.

I tried digging some up but the ground's frozen solid! ;)
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Recycling.

I can not even start to try and count the times I have just walked into small businesses and ask them if they had any metal junk to get rid of. You can make a ton of money just by doing this. Once I walked into a dog kennel and asked them if they had any junk they would like hauled away. Yes, back in the shed there was some stuff left by the last owner of the property. Showed me two siding brakes with stands and told me they were mine if I wanted to haul them out. Three days later I had them both sold and pocketed over 600 in cash. This is America guys, it's out there just waiting to be found!
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby plus1hdcp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:40 pm

In a larger than normal portion of the US today, shovel a driveway.

Good one Silversaddle
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Now that shoveling driveways has been mentioned, I may as well add pulling weeds (or spraying them).

Recyclersteve

Postby Engineer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:48 am

If you live in the northeast, fill nylons with salt and sell them to people with ice dams.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Go to golf courses and pick up stray golf balls. Leave behind any that belong to the golf course driving range. Sort through the rest picking out the most popular brands and sell those on eBay.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:53 pm

Find old folks neighborhoods and offer to take them places or do errands for them. Accept old coins for payment!
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Recycling part 2

Walking the roads for junk to recycle. With a big bag you look just like a clean up crew member.

When I was a kid we would collect aluminium cans, and not to date myself, but glass Coke bottles for deposit.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:22 pm

coppernickel wrote:
When I was a kid we would collect aluminium cans, and not to date myself, but glass Coke bottles for deposit.

you could still do that in ohio when I was a kid in the 80s. It was sweet as heck, there was a bar right next to a convenience store I was allowed to walk to. Id collect the bottles from their trash that I was able to turn in and could get myself something basically anytime I went. Well if my mom didn't know she hated me doing that.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Recycling bottles was worth 10¢ each, and a two dimes was enough for a candy bar. It was worth it.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:33 pm

coppernickel wrote:Recycling part 2

Same here. We (friends & I) used to collect soda bottles and turn them in for Baseball/Football card money. On Saturday and Sunday mornings around parking lots, we could usually find enough to buy a half box of card packs, until they went up in price to a dime a pack. Then we could only get half as many packs! Good memories!
Last edited by Shazbot57 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Go around to construction sites, looking for scrap lumber. Sell the things that you build with the lumber.

A lot of sanding, a little stain, and some patience can make pine look a bit better than it did in a dumpster.

"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:Go around to construction sites, looking for scrap lumber. Sell the things that you build with the lumber.

A lot of sanding, a little stain, and some patience can make pine look a bit better than it did in a dumpster.

Nice! :thumbup:
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby coppernickel » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:15 pm

I asked Mother if she had any ideas, and her off the cuff comment was, "steel it from Dad's wallet."
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugi » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:50 pm

I know several people who drive downtown everyday to go to work, and each pay $10.00 a day to park. I could offer to drive them to work and drive them home for $5.00 round trip. So, I would take all three of them at the same time, and on the way I would stop at the dollar store and pick up 1 can of brown shoe polish, 1 can of black shoe polish, 1 shoe shine brush, 1 micro fiber cloth, & 1 bottle of shoe dressing. Drop everyone off at work, park my car in the garage for $10.00, and sit out in front of their building all day and charge $1.00 each for shoe shines. I would easily make $20.00
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About