Deep Freezer back up?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Deep Freezer back up?

Postby TXBullion » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:38 pm

I just invested in a deep freezer in an effort to have more food on hand/minimize trips the grocery store.

Being that it will have substantial $$ value in it while full, how do I protect this? I wasn't thinking like a back up generator, but is there a power supply that can juice it up for a couple days so that everything does not go bad or do i really need a back up gen?

thanks in advance guys
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Deep Freezer back up?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Frankly the cheap solution is a small gas generator that you run for a couple of hours a day.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:31 pm

68Camaro wrote:Frankly the cheap solution is a small gas generator that you run for a couple of hours a day.

And do not try to go cheap. That costs more in the long run.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:38 pm

They are not cheap but you might want to look into a propane gas Freezer...

http://www.lpappliances.com/Blizzard-freezer.html
Copper Catcher

Postby TXBullion » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:59 pm

I know they have those things for computers that will run them for a while after a power outage ( like a capacitor or something. ) I was also thinking something that turns on when you are not home.... if the power goes out .
TXBullion

Postby natsb88 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:59 pm

TXBullion wrote:I know they have those things for computers that will run them for a while after a power outage ( like a capacitor or something. ) I was also thinking something that turns on when you are not home.... if the power goes out .

What is the power consumption of the freezer? Have a model number or link?

A typical battery backup for a computer (also known as a UPS = uninterruptible power supply) would probably only last a few minutes. There are some larger battery systems out there but how long it would last depends on the freezer and ambient temperature.
natsb88

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Honda EU2000 generator. Super efficient on gas. Super reliable. I love mine. It runs my fridge, a couple lights, and a TV or computer all at the same time.

Battery back up for that is going to be tough and expensive. IMHO, it's either stay close to home or lay out the dough for an automatic back up generator.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Whole house generators are installed to turn on when there is a power outage and turn off automatically when electricity is restored. They are not cheap, but might be worth looking at.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby justoneguy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:13 pm

Xantrex Freedom 458 charger/ inverter with 2 deep cycle 115?? amphour
is what i have my freezer on.
It lets the main power pass thru until an interruption then uses the batteries.
I think mine would last a week with the power down and minimizing openings..
I got it on a trade and mostly use it to "equalize" the cabin batteries.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:42 am

Tesla has that hang on the wall battery backup system that would handle your freezer and more.

fwiw watts = volts x amps try to get some info from the plate on your unit to calculate how much battery you will need. more than a few days you will need to recharge the batteries.

I know you want to stay away from a gas genset but my 800$ unit ran for over 3 weeks after Hurricane Ike. I just ran it last month for an hour to exercise it.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:07 am

http://www.amazon.com/Danby-DCF072A2WDB ... B00O9ZKZHU

I think thats close to the unit right there

Thanks for the responses.

It sounds like generator might be the way to go.....

Is that Tesla thing a real product? I have heard about it but did not think it was to market yet.

Ok stupid question, if you get a generator and say i want to connect the deep freezer AND refrigerator to it, do I just need two extension cords that are long enough to run from the outside in? I suppose it would be beneficial for the unit to be able to also support a window AC unit in case you are without power during high heat summer?
TXBullion

Postby natsb88 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:38 am

TXBullion wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Danby-DCF072A2WDB1-Chest-Freezer-Cubic/dp/B00O9ZKZHU

According to one of the questions on that page the freezer draws up to 1.2A. Even something like this big power pack would only run the freezer for ~5 hours.

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-802-1500- ... ery+backup
natsb88

Postby TXBullion » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:51 am

And at that price, it probably makes sense to go for a backup gen.....

Probably posted here already , but does anyone have a recommendation on a generator then? Whole house one sounds great but I'm also not wanting to spend a ton for that setup so maybe just running a couple of items? I guess i would need to go through and measure power consumption of a few things and see what I would actually need then ?"
TXBullion

Postby justoneguy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:56 am

natsb88 wrote:
TXBullion wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Danby-DCF072A2WDB1-Chest-Freezer-Cubic/dp/B00O9ZKZHU

According to one of the questions on that page the freezer draws up to 1.2A. Even something like this big power pack would only run the freezer for ~5 hours.

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-802-1500- ... ery+backup

My unit has two 115 ah batteries [12 volt]
http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Freedom-I ... reedom+458
1.2 amp 120 volt is 12 amp 12 volt
drawing my batteries down to 50%, means I have 115 AH available.
Not quite a 10 hour run time,
probably figure 8 hours with the conversion waste.
But, and a big but at that,
my freezer compressor doesn't run constantly,
I'll throw a wild guess out their, that it only runs 10% of the time.
that gives me 80 hours down time.
It would be easy to add more battery capacity,
but I have a few solar {PV} panels laying around
Prices have really come down.

I have 1 of these kill o watt meters
http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electric ... watt+meter
that I used to use to check the draw on my system.
I am going to have to try to find it to see if it can record daily usage,
to get an accurate idea of actual demand from my freezer.
My new [tiny] inverters have a meter showing the draw and battery voltage.

justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:40 pm

natsb88 wrote:(redacted)

"May not"? Like "hardly ever. That setup is flat out illegal most places.

Mostly because some brain dead idiot (or in-law) is likely to flip the wrong breakers and load the powerlines, and electricute utility workers.

The patch cord used is also called a "suicide cord", for very good reasons.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:42 pm

TXBullion wrote:And at that price, it probably makes sense to go for a backup gen.....

Probably posted here already , but does anyone have a recommendation on a generator then? Whole house one sounds great but I'm also not wanting to spend a ton for that setup so maybe just running a couple of items? I guess i would need to go through and measure power consumption of a few things and see what I would actually need then ?"

When I was looking at backup power a long time ago, the generators on trailors were least expensive for some reason. Never make sense to me. Perhaps someone here knows why?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:52 pm

Mossy wrote:
natsb88 wrote:(redacted)

"May not"? Like "hardly ever. That setup is flat out illegal most places.

Mostly because some brain dead idiot (or in-law) is likely to flip the wrong breakers and load the powerlines, and electricute utility workers.

Definitely a do not do this at home thing, but if you know what you are doing and can turn off the street line there is nothing technically unacceptable with this.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby natsb88 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Mossy wrote:"May not"? Like "hardly ever. That setup is flat out illegal most places.

Redacted. And why I bolded "turn off the main breaker." Only two people ever touch anything in the panel and even know how to start the generator. When they move out, the cord goes with the generator, and there is nothing left of the "setup" for anybody brain dead to misuse.

People improperly installing solar panels and wind turbines causes the same problem.

Lots of things can be done safely if you know what you are doing. I'm not a big fan of legislating Idiot-proofing. That just brings everything down to the level of the idiots :lol:
natsb88

Postby Engineer » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:20 am

natsb88 wrote:
Mossy wrote:"May not"? Like "hardly ever. That setup is flat out illegal most places.

Redacted. And why I bolded "turn off the main breaker." Only two people ever touch anything in the panel and even know how to start the generator. When they move out, the cord goes with the generator, and there is nothing left of the "setup" for anybody brain dead to misuse.

People improperly installing solar panels and wind turbines causes the same problem.

Lots of things can be done safely if you know what you are doing. I'm not a big fan of legislating Idiot-proofing. That just brings everything down to the level of the idiots :lol:

I have a 220 outlet in the garage next to the generator...and might have a cord to connect them in case of an extended outage. In the wrong hands, it would be a bad idea to connect the two, but in the right hands it would power the furnace blower, well pump, and keep the refrigerator/freezer running in case of an extended outage.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 am

Engineer wrote:
natsb88 wrote:

I have a 220 outlet in the garage next to the generator...and might have a cord to connect them in case of an extended outage. In the wrong hands, it would be a bad idea to connect the two, but in the right hands it would power the furnace blower, well pump, and keep the refrigerator/freezer running in case of an extended outage.

Well This post has made me figure out what the double ended 220 cord that came with my generator is for. Thanks :thumbup: :thumbup:

justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 am

https://www.amazon.com/Generac-6552-Gua ... ds=Generac

Everyone in my area has one of these. Every year you can count on being without electric for a few days and as many as 10 days at time.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About