I’m Thinking About Starting a YouTube Channel

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

I’m Thinking About Starting a YouTube Channel

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:49 am

I’m gonna take probably 2-3 months or so before considering whether or not I should start a YouTube channel.

I’d like feedback from anyone on this site who has a YouTube channel or knows of someone who does.

My subject matter is going to be about the stock market and managing a stock portfolio including setting up a portfolio where you can potentially profit whether the market goes up or down. Sorry, but crypto is NOT going to get more than just a casual mention. I feel there are others who would run circles around me on Bitcoin and, frankly, I have no desire to get into it.

For my first video I am leaning towards asking the audience a simple question that I’ve brought up on this site. I’ve asked literally hundreds of people the question and that includes LOTS of genius level IQ types along with people who have 10-40 years of experience in the biz.

The question…

Consider two people sitting side by side. One has a $10,000 brokerage account and the other has accounts totaling $100 million. What is the one area (the ONLY one I and hundreds of people I’ve questioned can come up with) where the person of modest means has A DISTINCT ADVANTAGE over the guy with $100 million?

The answer: ODD LOT TENDER OFFERS. These are corporate actions where companies are looking to do things such as buy back undervalued stock at a premium over the current market price or exchange stock in their company for stock in a smaller company spun off from them.

These deals are often oversubscribed by factors of 4x to over 10x, which is a fancy way of saying the company making the offer will only take a small percentage of your shares and return the vast majority to you.

What is the good part for the small guy? Often (but not always) there is something buried in the fine print which says that for those who have 99 or fewer shares (a so-called odd lot) and validly tender all their shares, they will ALL BE ACCEPTED.

So the little guy can go around looking for these deals on Google or a good quality search engine, buy 99 or fewer shares and have a very good chance of making decent money on a short-term commitment of, say, 2-5 weeks. Often times the profit is 7-1/2% to 10% or more. No, this is not a sure thing, but probably a trade with an 85-90% chance of being profitable.

Think again about the guy with $100 mil. He’d like to buy 100,000 shares of the stock, but he might make $ on 10% of his shares and lose on 90%- not a recipe for success IMHO. So the rich guy does nothing and the little guy is very happy with how things work out.

I just wrote on this site about one of these going on right now (Cummins (CMI) exchange for Atmus Filtration (ATMU)), but it is too late to act on this now. A bunch of my friends will likely be quite happy with this one in 7-10 days when they get their payouts.

If you don’t follow the stock market, that’s ok. But I’d like feedback and advice about this potentially big endeavor for me. Thanks in advance!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: I’m Thinking About Starting a YouTube Channel

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:03 am

I've been thinking about doing this, but travel related. Its a lot of work but there are a lot of benefits

I've heard that its difficult to make much money from a chanel unless you are the top 1%, but finance related channels get higher rates because advertisers pay more.

In addition to money, having a channel where you are teaching something forces you to learn the subject better. It can also create a community where you learn from others.

In my case, it will force me to document my travels.

A side benefit is it will present you as an instant authority. This can open doors. For me, with a travel site, I'm hoping it will give me behind the scenes access to certain sites, things like that. In other contexts, it might give you the opportunity to meet or interview certain people or celebrities.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:07 am

:clap: Yes, please, to both. :clap:

Real sound money thinking is missing in the world. You are both amazing people with excellent understanding of real money items. Some common sense would be very helpful.YouTube is an excellent format to share ideas.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:24 pm

Steve do it!!! I have nothing to offer except that I watch other youtube channels. I would imagine you'd have a couple of dozen initial subscribers right here. I'd certainly tout you to my family and friends.

I wish you the best and I look forward to good content!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:24 pm

What do you think of Chipotle Mexican Grill’s board has approved a 50-for-1 stock split? And I do think you should do a YouTube
hobo finds

Postby Saabman » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:55 am

Great idea, Steve! I would subscribe to your channel.
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:12 am

Sorry, but this is officially going to the back burner. My wife and I are totally different with our comfort levels in giving fairly intimate details about things. I don’t mind telling some pretty interesting feast or famine war stories about the stock market. She would likely blow a gasket if she saw (or even heard about) something fairly revealing I said on YouTube. And it’s not worth risking a 30+ year marriage over this.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:27 am

hobo finds wrote:What do you think of Chipotle Mexican Grill’s board has approved a 50-for-1 stock split? And I do think you should do a YouTube

PLEASE don’t get overly excited about this. This is exactly the same as having 50 $1 bills instead of 1 $50 bill. There literally is no difference. That said, a roughly $60 per share price opens the stock up to people who can’t afford to pay close to $3,000 a share for a single stock. When they made the announcement, I literally shorted CMG stock to bet on it going down. I traded only 4 shares in extended hours and it was nearly $12,000. Profit on the trade during regular market hours was $111.90. To me it was a pretty obvious trade on a stock that is up sharply recently and probably double or triple a fair market value.

Oh yeah, the split has to be shareholder approved AND can’t occur until LATE JUNE, an eternity from now. People got WAY TOO EXCITED about this one. If I was worth $10-20 million, I’d be betting heavily against this one right now. I don’t care how good their food is. Please don’t fall for this one. If it had a P/E ratio of 15-20, that would be a different story. But a P/E of 64? Not a chance!

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:10 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Sorry, but this is officially going to the back burner. My wife and I are totally different with our comfort levels in giving fairly intimate details about things. I don’t mind telling some pretty interesting feast or famine war stories about the stock market. She would likely blow a gasket if she saw (or even heard about) something fairly revealing I said on YouTube. And it’s not worth risking a 30+ year marriage over this.

After reading this post, I would not take the risk either. Besides, you have plenty of other things to do including but not limited to searching halves! Lol. And for that matter, scrapping! (you did mention that in other posts). But if you do launch the channel, then I wish you the best of luck.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About