What have you done to prep today?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: What have you done to prep today?

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 am

100 pounds of wheat fits nicely in a 35 gallon blue plastic barrel. I put 1/4 pound of dry ice in the bottom, then fill with the wheat. Put the cap on a few turns, but not tightly sealed. The CO2 sublimates, its heavier than air, so it pushes all the oxygen out of the barrel, from the bottom up. Next morning tighten the cap to seal the barrel, and stash in the preps. Stores very well for 10 years, with no bugs or weevils. This trick also works for beans, corn, oatmeal, any cheap, dry bulk food.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Whinstone » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:04 am

Just searching my pennies and waitin for the wind to blow
Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you. You will only double trouble and trouble others too.........anonymous
Whinstone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Repaired an old fishing rod, bought a new reel, went through my fishing gear and bought replacement parts and supplies. Researching squid fishing, both commercial and "sport". Patching up an old canoe.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rob72830 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:17 am

Reading RC posts and learning. Thanks guys!
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby texcollex » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Bought a roll of Merc dimes at just below spot.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby franklin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:02 am

I attented a 1.5 hr course at a local shop about canning meat products (ham,venison,chicken). Very informative.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:29 am

franklin wrote:I attented a 1.5 hr course at a local shop about canning meat products (ham,venison,chicken). Very informative.

I suggest using two canners at a time. One can be cooking while the other is cooling, being refilled, and heating up. Do not use steam canners or hot water baths for meat or fish, they are only for high acid foods, and some of the newer tomatoes do not have enough acid in them. I've always used Mirro, but that might not be so good an idea for long term in bad conditions as they require consumables to keep in operation (gaskets and blow outs). You could stock up, but I don't know how to store rubber long term. There are canners that do not require consumable, "All American" for example, but they cost more.

If you find someone tapping a spoon on the side of a pot to knock food off, do not allow them anywhere near your canners. Break their fingers, if necessary. They simply will not believe that the canner can be made useless that way unless they destroy a couple first.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby franklin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Mossy:Thanks for the pointers. I will most likely start with one as I have a good bit of time on my hands. My folks told me they still have my grandmother's old pressure canner put back somewhere. It is likely ancient and might not be usable but I will find out soon. A friend of mine is moving next month and when I saw him in church yesterday, he asked me if I would like to take some jars off his hands as he doesn't want to move them. Some are full, some empty.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby texcollex » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Bought a couple of extra bottles of iodine. Took the wife and kids on a "Nature Walk", with a plant identification guide for reference. Practiced my sling shot. Anyone have idea for good supply of surplus steel bearings for sling shot ammo? Before I started prepping I had about 100 I picked up here and there. Not sure what I did with them.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:53 pm

texcollex wrote:Bought a couple of extra bottles of iodine. Took the wife and kids on a "Nature Walk", with a plant identification guide for reference. Practiced my sling shot. Anyone have idea for good supply of surplus steel bearings for sling shot ammo? Before I started prepping I had about 100 I picked up here and there. Not sure what I did with them.

I bought some buckshot for that purpose. Should be easier to find than ball bearings.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mercuryman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:08 am

texcollex wrote:Bought a couple of extra bottles of iodine. Took the wife and kids on a "Nature Walk", with a plant identification guide for reference. Practiced my sling shot. Anyone have idea for good supply of surplus steel bearings for sling shot ammo? Before I started prepping I had about 100 I picked up here and there. Not sure what I did with them.

Marbles at the dollar store work great.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GTOJohn » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:48 pm

check with your buddies that shoot black powder - they usually cast their own lead.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby franklin » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:58 am

attended a local shortcourse, sponsored by an agricultural retail outlet, on how to cook with freeze-dried and dehydrated foods. It mostly turned into a discussion on how to dehydrate and store properly. Very interesting application of long term stored foods.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelless » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:54 pm

I just ordered 10 Faraday flashlights:

http://www.outletpc.com/we8974.html?gcl ... z1bViWGf3b

I've had one of these flashlights for a couple years--I think my mom had given it to me a while back--and from what I've read online, these flashlights should be good for thousands and thousands of recharges, albeit never needing batteries.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rosco » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Took Wife to Sewing Machine Store When She buys the $3,000 machine I'll get some Goodies an ammo :?:

Her Plan is not until we get back from trip to sunny South say in April but I can Wait :P Just not Patiently :lol: Some prepping is long term Goals 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby texcollex » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks for the ideas, bought some marbles but theyseem a bit slow. Better than rocks.

Today I brought out the 1100 and showed my wife how to shoot it. We shot about 2 1/2 boxes at clay targets. By the end she was hitting fairly well. Took my gun and my dads completely down and cleaned them.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Rosco wrote:Took Wife to Sewing Machine Store When She buys the $3,000 machine I'll get some Goodies an ammo :?:

I have one of these:

http://www.sailrite.com/Ultrafeed-LSZ-1 ... ng-Machine

Real good machine, and the Sailrite people are top notch for support.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelless » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:00 am

Nickelless wrote:I just ordered 10 Faraday flashlights:

http://www.outletpc.com/we8974.html?gcl ... z1bViWGf3b

I've had one of these flashlights for a couple years--I think my mom had given it to me a while back--and from what I've read online, these flashlights should be good for thousands and thousands of recharges, albeit never needing batteries.

Well, it appears that this particular brand of these flashlights has some issues. I got my shipment yesterday, and the light only appears when the magnet is right in the middle of the copper coil, but the shaft of the flashlight is long enough that the magnet falls past it when the flashlight is held upright. I'm going to get in touch with the company's customer service department and see what they'd recommend.
Nickelless

Postby Mossy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Nickelless wrote: I'm going to get in touch with the company's customer service department and see what they'd recommend.
"Buy ten more." "Not our fault, you are doing it wrong." "You have to read the instructions in all 150 languages the instructions are written in."
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby franklin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Answered a local ad: Old Coleman Stove for sale. Turned out to be a model 413 which is the big 2 burner. Met seller nearby and she said, "I'm sorry it's so dirty but it probably works OK. We've had it in storage for 20 years and don't need it." I opened it and, besides the dust, it was pristine, probably never used. Still had the paperwork with it. I fished out the fifteen bucks she wanted for it and smiled.
Yes, it works just fine, ma'am. It will go well with the fuel I have squirrelled away.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby justoneguy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:46 pm

franklin wrote:Answered a local ad: Old Coleman Stove for sale. Turned out to be a model 413 which is the big 2 burner. Met seller nearby and she said, "I'm sorry it's so dirty but it probably works OK. We've had it in storage for 20 years and don't need it." I opened it and, besides the dust, it was pristine, probably never used. Still had the paperwork with it. I fished out the fifteen bucks she wanted for it and smiled.
Yes, it works just fine, ma'am. It will go well with the fuel I have squirrelled away.

that's a really great stove.
everyone should get one like it.
it will burn regular unleaded gas without any problems
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby purple and gold » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:36 am

i have been stock piling high protein foods that dont need any prep or heat to eat,,ie sardines, tuna, Mres,these stack well and dont take up alot of space either 8-)
purple and gold

Postby Nickelless » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:48 am

purple and gold wrote:i have been stock piling high protein foods that dont need any prep or heat to eat,,ie sardines, tuna, Mres,these stack well and dont take up alot of space either 8-)

You want to be careful with tuna because of the mercury risk. I've got a lot of canned mackerel and salmon (mackerel is about half the price of salmon) and several cases of canned chicken as well. If you want to stretch your budget for protein, you really can't beat rice and beans.
Nickelless

Postby franklin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Was at feed store today and saw they had 30 percent off all fruit trees. For $16 apiece they had 2-3 yr old trees in 5-8 gallon containers, mostly pear, apple, plum and peaches. Got 10 including a fig for the new section of my orchard. All of them need a good pruning.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:27 pm

franklin wrote:Was at feed store today and saw they had 30 percent off all fruit trees. For $16 apiece they had 2-3 yr old trees in 5-8 gallon containers, mostly pear, apple, plum and peaches. Got 10 including a fig for the new section of my orchard. All of them need a good pruning.

You must be in the South at home recent temps 20s not good time to plant fruit trees. Here in AZ it gets to low 40s
its warmed up some :)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About