How much drinking water do you currently have?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: How much drinking water do you currently have?

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:40 am

Is anyone doing anything different since Wuhan?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Changechecker » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:35 am

I plan to do some prepping. Pre buy some extra items in advance. Having prepped for Y2K I had no regrets. I converted savings in the bank into pantry stock and found myself thankful in many ways. If this virus becomes an event I would rather have it now than complete later with other procrastinators
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Changechecker wrote:I plan to do some prepping. Pre buy some extra items in advance. Having prepped for Y2K I had no regrets. I converted savings in the bank into pantry stock and found myself thankful in many ways. If this virus becomes an event I would rather have it now than complete later with other procrastinators

I'm just back from the drugstore. Got a bunch of over the counter flu meds and Vitamins D3 (immune system) and C. I haven't made the leap to masks yet. I may be too late.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:49 pm

If you can't find N95 disposable masks, check out harbor freight or other hardware store to see if they still have dust masks - if nothing else they can help if someone at home is coughing. On Monday my local HG still had the dust masks as well as low end (higher dollar) N95 respirators.

The media and medical professionals are telling you a lie when they say not to wear a mask if you aren't sick. Initial studies in the Chinese outbreak hospitals showed that no staff in the ICU and respiratory disease sections (who wore N95 masks and implemented good hand washing practices) got sick even though they were in frequent contact with the infected, while a number of other staff caught the virus even though they were only rarely around the infected. They are telling you this to reduce runs on masks (but too late for that).

I'm not wearing a mask yet when I go out but I'm not out much and am trying to make sure I don't touch my face and use sanitizer.

I don't think we'll see utility outages so while stock piling a couple weeks of bottled water isn't a bad idea I think other plans are more important. Get a couple weeks of decent food (that you really want to eat) and a month of meds - including pet supplies. Make sure you have OTC meds suitable for cold or flu and tissues and toilet paper etc. Get a good thermometer - may be several , and or a non contact IR thermometer.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:59 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Is anyone doing anything different since Wuhan?

Brother, I been in doing this since 2008.....in 2011, I moved to "Mount Zion", a township of 172 souls, and I sit atop an aquifer that stretches a hundred miles circumference. Family members said that I was "nuts", "paranoid", but I never been one to care what any dear soul thinks about my actions, I still love them all. and I aint 'lone wolfing' it either. I love people, and I make TRUE friends easy, so, thank God we got a 'crew' of GOOD folks here, we watch out for one another.

'since wuhan'....I was on that situation from early jan, when the first alt-news came out, and what didn't smell right was the asymptomatic period of 14 days plus, factor into that the CCP mindset.....then I came across a report, (downloaded it) that an indian lab had torn apart the covid 19, and found 4 strands of non-natural HIV1 and HIV-GAG, inserted. in same report, two Thai doctors, used an anti-viral, and two retro-viral medicines, and cured 6 patients in 48 hours. i'll post the meds:

oseltamivir, lopinavir, ritonavir

that's from a brief i prepared for my rural county hospital,(with citations) over a month ago. like my family, they rolled their eyes, and put me on the pay no mind list. okay.

But, i'll tell you what my brother, the best case of anything I bought, was a case of Bibles...oh yeh, I have my Bibles, which I read and soul feast over, pre-dawn, with a strong cup of coffee......i'll tell you the proper mind/heart/body/soul set to have; this body is already dead....but my soul? He keeps......love, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:07 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Changechecker wrote:I plan to do some prepping. Pre buy some extra items in advance. Having prepped for Y2K I had no regrets. I converted savings in the bank into pantry stock and found myself thankful in many ways. If this virus becomes an event I would rather have it now than complete later with other procrastinators

I'm just back from the drugstore. Got a bunch of over the counter flu meds and Vitamins D3 (immune system) and C. I haven't made the leap to masks yet. I may be too late.

I haven't bought masks yet for this scare, but I have a small stash that I bought a year or so ago when the big fires that burned Paradise, CA happened. The whole Bay Area was like standing directly in the line of smoke from a camp fire. I'll dig them out if I have to. I'm not in any stockpiling panic yet, but may get a small stash of canned foods soon. Living close to San Francisco probably isn't good right now. This area seems to be the epicenter...first 'unknown cause' case is close by.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris6084 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:10 am

I did buy some disposable gloves yesterday. Something I can use to pump gas or anytime I'm touching anything a bunch of grubby hands touch but never gets cleaned.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Nickelless wrote:I'm building up my supply to about 330 gallons of bottled water (30 one-gallon jugs per metal shelving unit in my preps storage area, mostly to help anchor the bottom shelf of each unit, but also just to have water on hand) and plan to get some 55-gallon food-grade barrels soon.

With regard to bleach storage, I've got pool shock in half-pint mason jars with plastic lids (Tattler is the brand name of the lids). Word to the wise, use plastic bands as well, not metal ones--you'll inevitably have chlorine seepage from the jar which will corrode the metal rings. I didn't realize this until I opened one box where I was storing the jars and noticed it.

With things getting tense again in the world I've been rechecking preps to ensure that all containers are intact and that I have a good inventory count, and asking myself if I have all that I need.

With regard to HTH, a lesson learned, even after trying to store this stuff in what I thought were "safe" containers.

After a number of years I rechecked my stash of HTH (high test hypochlorite, aka calcium hypochlorite at 70% or higher) which was in the "back" of my storage area, and found that the containers had apparently diffused moisture through them - they were cloudy, clearly having been affected (and the granules inside were obviously affected). Acid gas then seeped out and corroded the front of the cases of #10 cans of long-term storage freeze dried veggies I had near them. So sadly I lost 8 cans of completely corroded cans of veggies, and I have another 6-8 cans that have surface rust on one end and will need to be used up sooner than later (8 cans were unaffected - the two cans in each box that were furthest away). The boxes were eaten up on one end and the front of the shelf itself was damaged.

So, I lost all my HTH and also probably $60-$80 worth of veggies. I'll have to look for a fully moisture-proof glass container that is designed for long-term storage of HTH, before I buy any more. And going forward I'll probably make myself be happy with a smaller amount of it, and rotated it every year or two. I really didn't need as much as I had. I'm just glad that the stuff didn't send any fumes further away, or gas us out. This is a precautionary tale - I thank God for the warning to myself and I want others to be aware.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm

To follow-up, I just ordered two Pyrex borosilicate glass chemical resistant jars with silicone seals, and two fresh pounds of HTH, and I will keep the jars in a separate impact resistant container, and store all in a separate area.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 am

I have a 150 foot water well and a 6.5 Kw diesel backup generator. I also have a 1,000 liter tote set up for diesel storage, in the shed. I'm not quite ready to have a home fuel delivery to fill it yet.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:05 am

Are guns and ammo scarce because anti-gun people have finally seen the writing on the wall?
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:55 am

shinnosuke wrote:Are guns and ammo scarce because anti-gun people have finally seen the writing on the wall?

Yes, but many are too late. The price of self-defense ammo has almost tripled since the pre-Floyd riots. Even FMJ (target practice) ammo has more than doubled since April/May.

Can't afford/find a gun or ammo? Get a few knives and a machete or two. I always carry a knife and keep a 14" machete under my car seat. I also carry a collapsible 21" police baton... just as damaging as a baseball bat, but totally concealable and much lighter.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About