How much drinking water do you currently have?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: How much drinking water do you currently have?

Postby Nickelless » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm building up my supply to about 330 gallons of bottled water (30 one-gallon jugs per metal shelving unit in my preps storage area, mostly to help anchor the bottom shelf of each unit, but also just to have water on hand) and plan to get some 55-gallon food-grade barrels soon.

With regard to bleach storage, I've got pool shock in half-pint mason jars with plastic lids (Tattler is the brand name of the lids). Word to the wise, use plastic bands as well, not metal ones--you'll inevitably have chlorine seepage from the jar which will corrode the metal rings. I didn't realize this until I opened one box where I was storing the jars and noticed it.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Rosco wrote:What causes the bleach to break down as I have about 5 Gal Bleach holding for over 4 Years/

Is there a test for the bleach, would it be PH test?? Thanks

Rosco dump the bleach...it is mainly salt water. Bleach off gases...so in about 6 months it is at half strengh...one year less than 1.5%.

If ya'll are purchasing factory sealed water containers they will last a very long time...its the containers you fill that have a shelf life....or need to be maintained.

Double3 wrote:About 100,000 gal or more...

until there is no power and/or run out of fuel for the generators.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby midiglass » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:17 pm

The earth is covered by 2/3 WATER

Boil any water source and it is safe to drink, If a crisis happens you won't really care
what it looks like as long as it does not make you sick. The radiation is what will end up killing you
when the terrorist finally take out a major city.So stock up on that $4+ a gallon gas instead so you
can get the heck out of there, Now dehydrated gas is something worth looking into LOL!
midiglass

Postby Rosco » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:20 am

Up graded my water storage :? now storing filtered thru Big Berky filters in washed 3 quart & one gal Juice Jugs have about 20 Gal now, plus 65 gal in Motor home fresh water tank this is filled thru carbon filters. Considering Bugging IN in MH at friends to fort up. Most preps will fit
inside for the move then shuttle for remainder. Need to convince him to allow me to tap in his Septic
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:27 pm

fasteddy wrote:we actually experienced a "wshtf scenerio" with hurricane Ike...to be prepared I had a 275 gal tote tank in the back yard along with a 500 gallon spa for non-potable use and we stock about ten cases of the small water bottles. Our municipal water system purchased large generators for each pumping station just before hurricane Ike hit, what foresight. The only utility working was our water system we never lost pressure so the lack of water, I think, will not be a problem for wshtf for us. I am looking at a whole house water filtration unit...will pull the trigger on that purchase soon, not for a "wshtf" but for peace of mind and body. Everyone should have drinking water stored for use...it does not go bad as long as you keep the container sealed. Rotate your stock so your water supply doesn't get to old.

How does water go bad, exactly? Not like it has a "born on date" like Budweiser, right? Bottled in an air tight container...especially if it's "Pure"

Gotta say though, it's probably not a bad idea to have some around the house anyways.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:30 pm

I typically like to keep 2-3 cases of bottled water on hand.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Look for something called an IBC tote. Most of you should be able to find them locally. They are 275 gallons, and can often be had for 60-90 bucks depending on where you live. Lots cheaper then 55 gallon drums, made from food grade plastic. They arent as beefy as 55 gallon drums, but I know people who have used them outside in the sun for 12 plus years and still going strong. I think spray paint to block the UV would make them last even longer. A few of these around the homestead have eased my mind a lot.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:49 pm

http://www.arizonabarrels.com/275_gallon_totes.html

The link above is what I was talking about. I just grabbed the first link with good pics, dont pay the crazy prices they have listed!!!! I live in the middle of nowhere and got them delivered at 75 ea. I know people close to larger cities that get them at 60 ea.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:27 pm

What type of business deals with them used, locally? I wouldn't even know what to google.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Treetop » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:31 pm

hmm... Im not even entirely sure. I found them on craigslist. aquaculture folks use these often, and few people on forums for that topic have trouble finding them. usually under 90 bucks. A friend of mine in ohio pays 55 if he picks them up, and 65 delivered.

Im not sure what industries use them though, its food grade plastic though, so Im betting its food/beverage related.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:54 pm

68Camaro wrote:What type of business deals with them used, locally? I wouldn't even know what to google.

I've seen quite a few of them for sale around shipping ports.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 am

I've seen these things at oilwell sites and they have liquid chemicals in them that are used for fracing the wells. Make sure you know what was in the vat prior to using. I think they would be great storage for water as they are portable and stackable.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:40 pm

If water is good going into a dark container and if the container is made of a good material, the water will be good until the container falls apart. Keep the water dark so algea does not grow in it, set up the tank so anything that settles does not get stirred up, and I'd say even polluted water (unless the pollution is chemical) will probably be okay to drink in a few years. Not that I want to try it.

There are several low tech ways to purify water well enough to drink. All on the net. Don't fall for the idiocy about needing to purify rainwater. Just let the first few minutes run off whatever you are collecting the water with and save the rest.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverSnake » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 pm

I may be the odd man out, but where I live I store no water because there are plenty of bodies of water around my house.
SilverSnake

Postby Mossy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Lots of water around, lots of it polluted. Store some drinkable to tide you over until you get a purification setup.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:58 pm

John_doe wrote:I typically like to keep 2-3 cases of bottled water on hand.

I have upped this amount. I now have 7+ cases on hand. I may start stacking. :lol:
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby jcz1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:34 pm

1-2 cases of bottled, bought when on sale for $4/case.
jcz1

Postby beauanderos » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:11 pm

I have about 180 gallons in one gallon containers (that I get free) and about 200 sixteen ounce bottles (save one a day from my costco green tea)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby frugi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:28 am

Can a reverse osmosis membrane (under-the-sink) machine replace the necessity of boiling water during a boil order?
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:49 pm

All this talk about water....I'm drinking some right now from my US government issued green canteen!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugi » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 pm

frugi wrote:Can a reverse osmosis membrane (under-the-sink) machine replace the necessity of boiling water during a boil order?

still looking for answer to this question. I just bought a reverse osmosis machine, havent hooked it up yet, it takes an actual plumber to do it, and I am too busy to schedule that right now. I did buy last night 360 (16oz.) bottles of purified drinking water last night to put in my prep. hoard. And I am buying about 50 gallons of spring water to go in my prep. hoard this week to be used for bathing and cooking. Then I will be covered on water for 2 people for a bit over 1 month. Still need preps for pretty much everything else though.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:45 am

frugi wrote:
frugi wrote:Can a reverse osmosis membrane (under-the-sink) machine replace the necessity of boiling water during a boil order?

still looking for answer to this question. I just bought a reverse osmosis machine, havent hooked it up yet, it takes an actual plumber to do it, and I am too busy to schedule that right now. I did buy last night 360 (16oz.) bottles of purified drinking water last night to put in my prep. hoard. And I am buying about 50 gallons of spring water to go in my prep. hoard this week to be used for bathing and cooking. Then I will be covered on water for 2 people for a bit over 1 month. Still need preps for pretty much everything else though.

Yes - It probably isn't recommended by the manufacturers for liability reasons.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/household_water_treatment.html
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 am

thank you very much.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:49 pm

This is my current choice of water stocking:

http://www.dollartree.com/office-school ... hod=search

If you have a Dollar Tree store near you, you get free shipping to the store.
Due to physical limitations, neither my wife or I am able to handle large bulk containers. These would be easier for small children to handle also.

Remember - water is 8lbs/gal.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Hey frugi...just so you know and others...RO systems dump down the drain 4 to 5 times the water volume for each gallon treated, reason for them to be point of use and not whole house units.

Water doesn't go bad, it will however grow bacteria and algea if not treated or kept under vacuum. If you are buying sealed water bottles, keep them sealed and all is good. If you are drinking from this stock pile it is good to practice first in first out. Drink the old stuff first. try to keep your stored water out of direct sunlight. This will cause container failure eventually.

I will give you all the 275 gallon totes that you can carry....come and get'um. Houston, Texas.

I use the 275 gallon totes for non drinking water supply.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About