Beyond hoarding: What skills are you learning?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: Beyond hoarding: What skills are you learning?

Postby pitw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:37 am

Butchering, knot tieing, welding, gardening, first aid, ammo reloading, tool fabricating, raising all our own food, plant identification and bartering horse trading.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:59 am

pitw wrote:Butchering, knot tieing, welding, gardening, first aid, ammo reloading, tool fabricating, raising all our own food, plant identification and bartering horse trading.

Good stuff!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:43 am

thought this was fairly interesting... worth reading :shh:

http://www.silverdoctors.com/12-bad-strategies-that-will-get-preppers-killed/
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby pitw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:51 am

68Camaro wrote:
pitw wrote:Butchering, knot tieing, welding, gardening, first aid, ammo reloading, tool fabricating, raising all our own food, plant identification and bartering horse trading.

Good stuff!

Seems to me if a person can't depend on oneself then he shouldn't expect help.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:09 am

pitw wrote:
68Camaro wrote:

Good stuff!

Seems to me if a person can't depend on oneself then he shouldn't expect help.

it's certainly a great asset to have the skills you're learning... but groups of like-minded survivalists will last alot longer than individuals. Trouble is... I can't even find any local start-up groups in central California. I think
the apathy and ignorance that affects those who don't stash precious metals probably extends to preppers. :?
Last edited by beauanderos on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
beauanderos

Postby pitw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:18 am

beauanderos wrote:
it's certainly a great asset to have the skills you're learning... but groups of like-minded survivalists will last alot longer than individuals. Trouble is... I can't even find any local start-up groups in central California. I think
the apathy and ignorance that affects those who stash precious metals probably extends to preppers. :?

I'm old and still learning but where I live my neighbors are like minded as it is a necessity. I've posted tutorials on how I live with just my knowledge and experience. Teaching my kids and others just helps me learn more. A person who can shoot an animal but has no idea what to do next is lost. If you want I'll copy and paste a few in a thead if there is any interest.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:35 am

I'm sure there would be interest :thumbup: :clap:
beauanderos

Postby pitw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:46 am

beauanderos wrote:I'm sure there would be interest :thumbup: :clap:

So can I do it in this section of the forum?
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:04 pm

pitw wrote:
beauanderos wrote:I'm sure there would be interest :thumbup: :clap:

So can I do it in this section of the forum?

post here... and if the Mods think it is better elsewhere they will move it. ;)

probably create a new thread for it tho :shifty:
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Ok this thread hasn't seen use in 5 years so time to dust it off. Today I baked fresh bread from scratch for the first time in my life, and I just cut a piece and tried it - really nice! Smells great and tastes quite good. I could easily survive on this bread - would make a decent sandwich, toast, French toast, or as bread alone.

The next step was to break out the wondermill junior deluxe flour mill that I bought 8 years ago and get it ready for electric drive. It was a bear to get the pressed on manual handle off - the method they created didn't work, so out to the shop to put it in a vise and drive it off with a hammer and punch. I will open a can of wheat berries and run a break in pound through it to take the edges.off of the burrs and throw that pound away (and play with the adjustments to get the fineness needed) before I grind enough to make a whole wheat loaf, after I eat up what I just made.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:29 am

Today I juggled watermelons while riding a unicycle backwards- under water... :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pitw » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:09 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Today I juggled watermelons while riding a unicycle backwards- under water... :)

15 years ago I bought a unicycle and it proved to be probably the dumbest purchase of my life :shock: . I never broke anything but my pride :thumbup: .
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:21 am

68Camaro wrote:Ok this thread hasn't seen use in 5 years so time to dust it off. Today I baked fresh bread from scratch for the first time in my life, and I just cut a piece and tried it - really nice! Smells great and tastes quite good. I could easily survive on this bread - would make a decent sandwich, toast, French toast, or as bread alone.

The next step was to break out the wondermill junior deluxe flour mill that I bought 8 years ago and get it ready for electric drive. It was a bear to get the pressed on manual handle off - the method they created didn't work, so out to the shop to put it in a vise and drive it off with a hammer and punch. I will open a can of wheat berries and run a break in pound through it to take the edges.off of the burrs and throw that pound away (and play with the adjustments to get the fineness needed) before I grind enough to make a whole wheat loaf, after I eat up what I just made.

We also made some Quarantine Bread a couple months ago. We ended up making about 15 variations on the very simple recipe we started with -- add nuts...add cinnamon...add raisins. Almost every loaf deserved two enthusiastic thumbs up. Ha. I can now say I know how to bake bread.

For any first-timers, yeast and flour was initially hard to find. I recommend stocking up now.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:36 pm

:thumbup:
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:29 am

Larger stores with bulk bins usually have wheat berries. Save those sealed cans for famine, it is way to soon to be opening them today.

I bought some plastic 35 gallon water barrels some years ago. I put a 1/4 pound of dry ice in the bottom of each, then poured 50 lbs of wheat in on top. I set the bung on the hole, then next morning, after the CO2 had displaced out all the air and O2, screwed in the bungs tight to seal. This keeps the insect eggs from hatching. Fifty pound sacks of wheat is the cheapest way to buy bread.

I have a Nutrimill to grind the wheat, and a breadmaker machine to do the hard work of kneading. I turn out the dough into standard bread pans, let it rise and bake it in the conventional oven.

The local store is now limiting yeast to one strip of 3 packets per customer. I buy one every visit, and store them in the refrigerator.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:25 am

True that (on saving the cans of 30 year shelf life berries). I opened a couple to make sure they truly were none the worse for their age (now 8 years old for the oldest). But since the prior post of mine I moved to buying 25 lb bags directly from the single family organic wheat farm of eastern Oregon* (not far from you). Great wheat berries! Triple cleaned. They log the exact field each bag comes from (interesting). And free delivery. A bit over a buck a pound. And since the price of LDS cans went up - they are a competitive price. I have them on automatic reorder with about 100 lbs in stock. Two 2-lb loaves of cranberry orange nut loaf are in the oven as I type this. Tomorrow night is pizza night (homemade whole wheat crust) and Sat will be whole wheat bread baking day.

If you are still having problems sourcing small packs of yeast (they are starting to reappear on shelves) you can get yeast by the pound (2 year expiration - and if you are baking each week you'll use it up before then) on Amazon for good prices.

*sorry - I believe they are actually eastern Washington state, not Oregon. Though I'm sure the wheat farms cover that entire area.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:36 am

IdahoCopper wrote:I bought some plastic 35 gallon water barrels some years ago. I put a 1/4 pound of dry ice in the bottom of each, then poured 50 lbs of wheat in on top. I set the bung on the hole, then next morning, after the CO2 had displaced out all the air and O2, screwed in the bungs tight to seal. This keeps the insect eggs from hatching. Fifty pound sacks of wheat is the cheapest way to buy bread.

That's a good way to do it. :thumbup:

I did a intermediate length storage setup with 5 gal buckets (25 lb bags) using oxygen absorber packets. I wonder how long you can keep a bag of wheat without using o2 absorber or your co2 method before the intrinsic insects become a problem?
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:47 am

Without oxygen, the eggs will never hatch. I read that the CO2 method is good for 10 or more years. I packed mine in '08.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About