pitw's living poor.

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: pitw's living poor.

Postby pitw » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:44 am

Yesterday while picking up parts for the new tractors I got to talking to a fellow about poultry. Seems he is having a heck of a time with predators. He offered to sell me his 3/4 grown turkeys for $10 a piece and as that is what day old poults cost I drove out to his farm and picked his 6 largest that would fit in a box I snagged from the dealership. You ain't seen happy birds until you have witnessed pen raised birds turned loose with our free running flock. Them silly birds were up and out while it was still dark and have been 1/4 mile down the road twice.LOL The wife said I had to watch them but I figure they can watch themselves.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:59 pm

Today being as we got 3/4 inch of rain last night and it was pretty much to wet to any thing else, the wife and I decided to do surgery on two of the new piglets. They had hernias that required stiching them up after nutting them. Used some starting fluid to put them to sleep and did the deed. Cost us nothing but a little time and I learned a new swear word from the wife[At least I think it was a swear word]. Pigs are recuperating in separate pens and will go back in the sows pen around six tonight if they are still breathing[no sense feeding her her own babes if they ain't]. Kinda/sorta neat what one learns to do for oneself if one is willing to try. :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Today I got 2.5 hours of free entertainment.

What I learned from these guys was worth the price of admission.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:32 am

Yesterday the wife decided it was time to start doing up our meat birds for the year and we did half of them.
Old table I got for a few bucks and sold to a lady for $250 still works as she ain't picked it up yet.

Old wash tubs we've picked up over the years work great for a cheap operation.

What a good eating chicken looks like shortly before the entrails is removed.

Work and no play is boring as my son and the old Tom turkey have a waddle pulling contest.

Other son is 6'4" so the sunflowers is ?

Don hopes this hen makes the cut as one to have baby's next year.

Anyone like chicken head soup?
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:43 pm

Today I got done spraying by 2pm so the wife and I got to thinking we should pick some Chokecherries for syrup and Jelly. [It got down to 23F here last night which makes these things sweeter but finish's them in a couple days]
15 minutes of picking later.

She then got them in her juicer.

How much shrink there was.

Between 2 and 3 quarts of the worlds best juice.

With some 350 hills of spuds she better start looking for some help on the eating this winter.

Then as I plan on leaving one kid home to look after a little spraying and haying while the other and I go fishing for a few days, I went out and dug a hill of spuds for the trip.

That plan only half worked as it takes a fair sized man and boy to eat
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:50 pm

I love this thread
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:24 pm

That's the biggest potato I have ever seen......or is it the smallest soda can?

Seriously that is a massive potato. I need more info in your seed stock, soil, and anything else.

That would have one 1st prize this year by about a pound at the STATE level. Help me get that ribbon next year.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:58 pm

It looks like a walrus
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby pitw » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:09 am

Rodebaugh wrote:That's the biggest potato I have ever seen......or is it the smallest soda can?

Seriously that is a massive potato. I need more info in your seed stock, soil, and anything else.

That would have one 1st prize this year by about a pound at the STATE level. Help me get that ribbon next year.

Yukon Gold is the seed stock, soil is what we have on the farm which is a clay/sand mix and I believe our longer daylight hours through the growing season does much.. These guys were planted later than we have ever planted them too. The potatoes by the soda can are Russet Burbank which to me makes the best fried spuds in the world. Problem with these is the size of frying pan needed for cooking more than one slice. :evil: Seeing as we ain't cut the 4lber yet I could mail it to you for entry in the contest. :lol: I'm sure we will find bigger as we dig them for storage as I can't see the first hill giving the biggest. :shock:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:34 pm

So I get home from fishing to find

8 pints of heavenly syrup and 13 jars of jelly and fresh biscuits to try them on. :thumbup: Got lucky as one of the jars of syrup didn't seal or she woulda hid it toooooooo. :evil:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:32 am

Thogey wrote:I love this thread

Appreciate that. I really do. :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:05 am

pitw wrote:

Yup...me too...what Thogey said...

Thanks for joining the site....your pics are great.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:56 am

fasteddy wrote:
pitw wrote:

Yup...me too...what Thogey said...

Thanks for joining the site....your pics are great.

You are the first person who ever said I took a great pic. :shock: Most laugh at my photog skills. :roll: Thanks.
I just show stuff I do normally and know it is a mite different than some. I'd appreciate some story's/pics of stuff I know nothing about as learning is fun. :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:01 am

Yesterday was a dreery day with fog until after dinner. The fellow I had picked up the miss spraying called at 10am with the news that he had spilled a few bushels of tough wheat on the ground and I could have it for the chickens. Went up with about ten 5 gallon buckets to find about 30 bu on the ground :shock: . Shoveled it all in my Ford and the lads rolled it after their football game last night. :thumbup: Great part of this deal was I got free food for the flock and the other fellow got the pile cleaned up[he didn't want to take the time] so his cows can go out without fear of getting too much grain.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:16 am

The chickens love the wheat. :thumbup: Took a quart over to Gertrude who had one of the the piglets die yesterday and she inhaled it but I don't know if she liked it as she inhales everything except bagels. :lol:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:04 am

Wife picked some carrots today and I'll be danged if some of them roots didn't grow too.[squares are 3 inch's]
1lb 9 ozs
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:11 am

I'm finding it easier and easier to live poor as it seems most people don't value money as something they should keep. Most people make square bales in the 75-80 pound range and sell them for $5-7 each. I make them in 40lb and sell them for more and I cannot keep up with demand around here. Then I had a fellow call asking if my hay would be good for his freaking bunny so I said yes. I then went out and made 5 bales[I was baling anyway] that weighed less than 10 lbs of the greenest hay I had. He showed up and when showed the little bales he actually squealed in delight :sick: at the sight of them. Silly plick near broke his arm getting out his wallet to pay me $10 each for them :shock: :roll: :roll: .
A pic of what I do to actually pay the bills.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:05 am

I know you've said something about agri spraying, and one time I believe you showed a pic of plane (but I thought it was someone elses?) I can't tell in the pic above what that equipment is - is it on the ground or a plane flying low. Are you a crop-duster?

As to the hay thing... Well done. As I've often said (though I'm sure its not original to me) - common sense ain't all that common. You've found alternate markets where you can get more money for less and multiply. Do it all you can!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pitw » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:57 am

I run ground rigs.

A very good friend and now MLA is a crop duster.

or at least was.LOL

After I got the call to come help clean up the mess with my lads we went in the house for grub and I asked him to hold my milk for a few seconds. "Why", he asked. "I like milk shakes I replied" :lol: :lol:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:27 am

Good lord! Is everyone OK?
Thogey

Postby pitw » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:36 am

That is the pilot taking pics on the left. :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:48 am

That's a mess - engine mount broke so must've slapped down pretty hard on the nose when it flipped. It he getting it repaired?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pitw » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:54 am

68Camaro wrote:That's a mess - engine mount broke so must've slapped down pretty hard on the nose when it flipped. It he getting it repaired?

Yes he is getting the old Gruman repaired. It's nearing completion. I've sprayed his crops for 20 years as he knows I do a better job than him. :lol: He says he will go out and do at least one load so as to not quit on that sour note. Restoration is gonna be expensive but he's blown more money stupider. :lol:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:57 am

Living poor means you make friends where you find them.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cooyon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:30 pm

pitw wrote:Living poor means you make friends where you find them.

Joe Biden and Hillary?
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About