pitw's living poor.

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: pitw's living poor.

Postby pitw » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:18 am

When you live poor it can mean you eat good. With the Strawberries in season I figured we should enjoy some. The 15 year old and I whipped up a plain butter cake.

18 year old had took the calves off the cow and stole enough milk to get cream to whip.

Wife provided the berries.

When all added together makes.

I can assure you I would sooner live poor and eat good than be rich and not know what good food looked like.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:29 am

It doesn't get any better than that.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rum3002576 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:29 am

yumm :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
rum3002576
Penny Collector Member

Postby pitw » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:13 pm

Being poor allows one to learn and teach at the same time. Saturday the boys removed an engine from my favorite truck
The rear main seal had started puking oil at the rate of 1 quart per 15 miles so needed done. The look on their faces after the job was done and it actually ran was worth more than most anything money can buy.
Then we made some money by making some hay using this old unit

That cost soooooooooo much less than my neighbors unit he did the rest of my field with.

Hiring kids to help haul the bales is a win win situation as they need coin too and I need not broken back from lifting 1,500 bales myself anymore. :lol:

The young lady helping with the bales is as tough as any I've ever met as she was the only one besides me who didn't want gloves. I'd also be willing to lay wagers that she could take any average boy of her age in any fight.
We don't need to make the bales but do it because we can. We make enough for our own use and then sell the rest to pay for a ski trip to the mountains during the winter. This year we had a new wrinkle thrown at us as the wife had put the bales up for sale on some site and I received a call from a lady who lives 10 hours away. Seems she is getting married the end of August and wants bales for seating her guests[Weirder than a plaid rabbit]. She is getting married 20 miles away from our house and I asked what she planned on doing with the hay when done. she had no idea so I suggested we would charge her $2 per for the use of the bales[+ the dollar I paid the kids to haul,stack and tarp them] and she would also have to pay the lads $3 per to haul them to and from her venue. To my total amazement she called this morning agreeing to the terms. Works out to $6/bale and she wants 150 which made sure that what I seen Sunday morning at 5am is true.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 pm

I always enjoy your view of life. Does take me back to my late teens in the Midwest, when I felt indestructible - "like a rock". Put up a few square bales then, and could do it all day long. In the same times I remember tearing down the gearbox of an old Ford tractor in the barnyard and getting it running again - much like your kids. Wow, getting "old" sucks, but your note is a good reminder of good times. You've got some beautiful views there.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Renting your bales.....man that's great. Hope that it plays out as expected.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby wolvesdad » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:47 pm

$900 for loading and unloading!? Not bad.

Just have ghem sold when timd to 'pick them up' and their second delivery will be a breeze!!!
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:59 am

I just discovered this thread. Wow, thank you for posting, this was a great read, and I will definitely keep up now!
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pitw » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:09 pm

pitw wrote:
Then he ask's if I wanna buy a truck and I ask what kind. He says about a '62 International 2ton that got parked where it is 20 years ago. I suggest $200 and he held out his hand palm up, so I reached in the pocket again. When we picked up the baler I drove the equipment line and found my new truck.

Well the truck had a seized motor as I went down and tried her out today. Fella said he would give me my money back but I told him to keep it and the truck. Even Babe Ruth didn't hit all home runs.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:44 pm

This morning I was just headed out the door to go spraying when the phone rang. Was the neighbor lady from 2 miles East and she were some excited. Seems there was a fire going outta control in their yard and headed for the new shop. I'm coming I yelled and ran out screaming at the boys as I went. Fired up the old KW and started backing outta the yard while holding the air brakes controller until it built up enough air so i didn't need too. Took off down the road and found out right away my governor works well in all the gears I hit. Pulled into their yard and Todd
came flying at the truck to attack. Stupid bird. I pulled to a stop as close the fire as possible and the boys had the hose from the trailer pump hooked to the truck and were adding the fire nozzle to the discharge hose too. One pull on the rope got 2,500 gallons of water headed in the right direction to slow the fire. That little blaze was no match for our water and the young couple were happier than pigs in pooh that we came. After watering down everything so he could control his burn for the day we went to see what the [L] was with Todd. Crazy bird likes to chaw on ya while you stare in wonder.

https://youtu.be/Z3G4LqsZU0w

When you live poor you depend on your neighbors and they depend on you. In fact out where I live we look after those we don't even like so we got someone to dislike.LOL
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:48 pm

I think I heard the bird say "Every time you call me Todd, I will bite you!" Great photos.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pitw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Good food is cheap for those willing to just work for it. Wife went out with her 75 year old mother and 78 year old uncle for three hours and they picked 9 gallons of these.

Yesterday a lady we had allowed to pick 4 gallons of raspberries showed up with ten of these

that had been picked the day before near Creston BC. We rarely get peach's this fresh from a tree so a true treat it was. :thumbup:

Chokecherries are huge and I thought I had a pic but I guess I was to intent on filling my face. :lol:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sanford02 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:33 pm

I love this thread. Someone else already called it the best on the entire internets. I agree.

It made me realize that the plum tree behind the buildings at work never gets any attention and the plums all go to waste. I checked it out yesterday, and there are more plums on that thing than I could pick in a whole day. I spent about 10 minutes and got these. My 2 oldest kids ate 10 of them when I got home.

If I made the effort, I could pick gallons and gallons and gallons of free blackberries for several weeks during the summer. The kids love those too. Next year I will get more blackberries. For now, I will go fill up my bowl with plums everyday until I can't reach them anymore.

20160816_171902_resized.jpg
20160816_171902_resized.jpg (68.1 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pitw » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Sanford02 wrote:I love this thread. Someone else already called it the best on the entire internets. I agree.

It made me realize that the plum tree behind the buildings at work never gets any attention and the plums all go to waste. I checked it out yesterday, and there are more plums on that thing than I could pick in a whole day. I spent about 10 minutes and got these. My 2 oldest kids ate 10 of them when I got home.

If I made the effort, I could pick gallons and gallons and gallons of free blackberries for several weeks during the summer. The kids love those too. Next year I will get more blackberries. For now, I will go fill up my bowl with plums everyday until I can't reach them anymore.

20160816_171902_resized.jpg

Oh man if I had that tree I'd be closer to heaven than most anyone. I have always loved plum cake and only get it near this time of year. I even taught the wife to make it and will admit she does a very good job. Showed her your post and she laughed saying that tree would kill me. She also said she found 30 decent plums in town and will bake a cake tomorrow. :thumbup:
Thank you good person. :wave:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:14 pm

And she came through too. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Seconds after I spied the cake.

I'll eat this bab by tomorrow night. :roll:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:36 am

After a good day of work to come home and smell an amazing batch of aroma's sure caps off a great day. I walked in to discover these.

I'm liking this living poor. :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Are you in Alberta and without giving your address, can you say what town you are nearest to. There are lots of us following this GREAT thread and we don't know whether you are safe or not when we hear about things like the Fort Mac fires.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby rum3002576 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:48 am

those no bake cookies sure are the best :thumbup:
rum3002576
Penny Collector Member

Postby pitw » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:29 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Are you in Alberta and without giving your address, can you say what town you are nearest to. There are lots of us following this GREAT thread and we don't know whether you are safe or not when we hear about things like the Fort Mac fires.

Steve, I'm around 375 miles South of Fort Mac. Remember the little flood that some guy built an arc to avoid? We got 3/10ths of an inch that time so flooding is never a concern, never seen a tornado in my life, last hurricane here was something like 796,000,000+ years ago and we have few trees which limits forest fires. Prairie fires here are usually small and held in check by the roads and farming. Appreciate your worrying about me but the last murder in the MD was 32 years ago and that involved a woman. :roll: I kinda/sorta feel I may live in the safest place in the world and having a few hundred guns and a family/neighbors who know how to use them helps.

I've always loved unbaked cookies.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:26 am

rum3002576 wrote:those no bake cookies sure are the best :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:31 pm

NHsorter wrote:
rum3002576 wrote:those no bake cookies sure are the best :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

+1
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.
tdtwedt
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Looks like that pan would slide right into a Medium Flat Rate Box. Road trip to the border?
natsb88

Postby pitw » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:52 am

natsb88 wrote:Looks like that pan would slide right into a Medium Flat Rate Box. Road trip to the border?

When I went down to Ky/Tn in 2009 my wife made me 10 dozen butter tarts to take with. Now these tarts were made with as much home grown ingredients as we can and are theee best in the world. Things had progressed fairly well at your border when the lady asked what was is the containers and I showed her. She said she may confiscate them to which I replied, "If you think you are taking my butter tarts to fatten your friends I'll back up towards my border first and eat a dozen then piss on the rest before proceeding or you could ask nicely for a couple and see what happens". She sweetly asked if she could try one and I gave her four. She said, "Carry on and have a great stay in our country". :thumbup:
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pitw » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 am

One way of making sure you enjoy life while being poor is to make sure your office has a great view.
Straight ahead[a mite fuzzy as usual but I get to see it a lot clearer :lol: ]

Left

Right

Back

Further into the field

Also enjoy the little critters you may encounter
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:22 pm

Dang, nice! Nice desserts too, in the earlier post - I hadn't seen those pics yet.
68Camaro

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About