Survey: Could You Come Up with $500 in an Emergency?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Could You Come up with $500 in an Emergency?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:59 pm

Yes, easily (assume that it is a Monday and you've got plenty of time to go to a bank, etc.)
88%
Yes, but it wouldn't be easy
No votes
Yes, but I'd have to get a loan from a family member or friend (or sell something of value to get the money)
8%
Not sure
No votes
As of right now there is no way I could quickly come up with $500
No votes
Other (add remarks below)
5%

Total votes : 40

Survey: Could You Come Up with $500 in an Emergency?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:59 pm

I am very curious to see how people respond to this survey. On another part of the RC site it mentions a survey which says that something like 57-58% of people could NOT come up with $500 in an emergency. I know my survey results may be somewhat biased (since this site includes a lot of preppers and others who stack PM's), but I am still curious to see what the results will say. Thanks in advance to all who participate. Only one response per person please.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Survey: Could You Come Up with $500 in an Emergency?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:02 pm

I was even thinking that some of the scrappers here (hobo finds and cwgii) might even be able to find $500 of scrap materials in a few days in an emergency.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:10 pm

You're polling a highly atypical population so while it might be interesting to see how rc fares I would be shocked if the percentage of rc ers isn't at least 95%.

In contrast, just looking at my wife's immediate family, neither her mom nor her aunt could do it, nor any of her 3 siblings, and of the next generation only one nephew (who technically is still at home so not on his own), plus her dad could do it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:17 pm

What's an emergency?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:37 pm

The concept of what is an emergency is certainly debatable. Let's assume that it doesn't include paying a cable bill, but something like a hospital demanding cash or bailing a (hopefully innocent) loved one out of jail or perhaps an electric bill during the hot summer months.

Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:25 pm

68Camaro wrote:You're polling a highly atypical population . . .

Truly, not typical of the general population.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:55 pm

you are correct...
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:21 pm

I also expect 95 % yes

Perhaps more

Rosco
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby alpacafarmer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:06 pm

in cents!!!
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:27 pm

$500 emergency I feel would be like a car problem, but when you start getting into $15000 and higher I would need to sell off a lot more than scrap metal.
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 pm

hobo finds wrote:$500 emergency I feel would be like a car problem, but when you start getting into $15000 and higher I would need to sell off a lot more than scrap metal.

Cmon, you mean you don't have $15k in aluminum cans just sitting around?!? :D
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recyclersteve

Postby misteroman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:40 pm

I would hope most on here woudnt have to go to the bank to get $500.......
misteroman

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Bumping for some more votes.

Recyclersteve

Postby Shazbot57 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:58 pm

I chose OTHER but actually it's a YES without any qualifiers like those added. 'Nuff said...
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About