Copper Pennies vs. Aluminum Cans- Which is Better?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Copper Pennies vs. Aluminum Cans- Which is Better?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:54 pm

It occurred to me just now that the value of a U.S. copper cent (1982 and before) generally ranges from around 2-1/2 to 3 cents. But that is approximately what the value of an aluminum can is!

So which is better and why?

Copper pennies take a lot less space than crushed aluminum cans and you don’t have to worry about them attracting bees.

Aluminum cans, on the other hand, can be legally melted and are on the U.S. government’s list of 50 critical minerals, so the government is benefiting by us recycling and melting down cans.

I personally do both. Another thing about the cans is that I don’t mind leaving them outside in my back yard. A potential thief would have to be really desperate to steal aluminum cans!

So, what do you guys think?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Copper Pennies vs. Aluminum Cans- Which is Better?

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:55 pm

I pick up every coin I see dosent matter where. For cans if I am on a walk I get them but in a parking lot they need to be by where I parked. Lol not sure why
hobo finds

Postby Silver4face » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:31 pm

I think the copper pennies are better exactly because of the reasons you mentioned. Let me add one thing: For those of us that roll search for copper, we have the advantage of pulling OLDER wheats and Indian heads. Those aluminum cans will never reach the value of a pre 1920 copper coin.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:37 am

With PK-99 looming on the horizon, copper is the better choice.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:00 pm

What is PK99? I tried to Google it, but was unsuccessful.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:33 am

Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:59 am

The link mentioned LK-99, but I didn’t see PK-99. Also, you’d have to be a scientist to understand what was discussed in the link. Anyone who can explain it in plain English?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:33 am

It is LK-99. I remembered it wrong and typed PK-99.

The highest use for a room temp superconductor is for magnetic confinement nuclear fusion.

If LK-99 is proved and fully characterized, it will be a really big deal, for everyone.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:10 pm

The best choice of the 2 is certainly the coppers without fail. The coppers are much more recognized as having a known (and understood) value whereas aluminum is recognized by almost everyone, but very few people really understand its worth.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About