Your Best Ever Coinstar Finds

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Your Best Ever Coinstar Finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:13 pm

There is a LOT of activity on the Coinstar thread- something like 1,000 posts and almost 100,000 views.

This thread is NOT for saying, "Hey, today I found 11 cents."

Instead, I'd like to know- what is the very best thing you found at a coinstar machine.

I'll start because mine is easy to remember even well after the fact. And I'm gonna cheat slightly because my find was on the floor next to the Coinstar machine. But my best find was a tougher date Indian cent (1872) in Fine to Very Fine condition. I can't remember anything else found that comes close.

Ok, on my 50th birthday many years ago I found a $100 bill on the floor of a local Sam's Club- ON MY BIRTHDAY no less! So I guess we can broaden this a bit and include other valuable finds that weren't necessarily in or on a Coinstar machine.

What were your historic finds?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Your Best Ever Coinstar Finds

Postby coindood » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:53 pm

ImageImage
Probably this from Feb 2022, which is simultaneously my oldest found US, foreign and silver coin.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:00 pm

I probably posted this somewhere here but a couple years ago I checked out at the Kroger with my wife and as we walked toward the coinstar at the exit, from 15 feet away I could see the reject bin filled with something. I mumbled to my wife to cover me, why I don't know. But she stood blocking anybodies view of me and I shoveled out a massive handful of what I originally thought was tokens but shoved the pile into my coat pocket and walked out. We reached the car and I pulled out 19 B.U. sacagawea dollars and 2 clad quarters! Ok, sure no collection value but come on, $19.50 sitting in the reject bin? Come on coinstar peeps, check your bin. But thanks for not!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:04 am

silverflake wrote:I probably posted this somewhere here but a couple years ago I checked out at the Kroger with my wife and as we walked toward the coinstar at the exit, from 15 feet away I could see the reject bin filled with something. I mumbled to my wife to cover me, why I don't know. But she stood blocking anybodies view of me and I shoveled out a massive handful of what I originally thought was tokens but shoved the pile into my coat pocket and walked out. We reached the car and I pulled out 19 B.U. sacagawea dollars and 2 clad quarters! Ok, sure no collection value but come on, $19.50 sitting in the reject bin? Come on coinstar peeps, check your bin. But thanks for not!

This makes me wonder if a CS machine would reject Ike dollars…
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:15 pm

My best coinstar finds:

1 1967 JFK
3 Mercs
3 Rosy's
2 Washington silver quarters
5 War nickels

Haven't found anything decent for a while now... just some ugly zincs and newer dimes.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About