The Collapse of Complex Societies

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

The Collapse of Complex Societies

Postby Country » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:30 pm

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: The Collapse of Complex Societies

Postby Nickelless » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:23 am

Coming soon to an industrialized North American country near us...
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Great book. We should all read it. If you can find it.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to pick it up on Amazon. (I occasionally use coinstar to dump some zincs and pick up a fee free amazon gift card which allows me to buy interesting stuff like this)
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:03 pm

"Guns, germs, and steel" by Jared Diamond is also a good book. I'm going to try to get one of his other books, "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" some day.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:18 am

I've read enough of the "Collapse" books (including the fitctional one by Rawles, Patriot) to have a decent grasp of our pending possible future. I'm now looking for the "Post" (well beyond the initial) collapse type to get a better vision of this scenario. Currently reading Power Down by Heinberg.

I find work by Dmitry Orlov interesting but have not read his book Reinventing Collapse. He's into things like shallow draft concrete boats and saving brass nails (See his work- Sailing craft for a post-collapse world).

Here is a youtube with the popular anamated people that did the Ben Bernank thing, explaining more of Dmitry's views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCasHOQYYzs

Currently looking forthe book After Collapse: The Regeneration of Complex Societies.

And found this website with potential http://www.postcollapse.org/org/index.html

Forgot to add Fleeing Vesuvius to the must read list. Another great one.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About