Question about "View Unread Posts"

All posts by members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.org are for your edification and amusement only. It is NOT the intent of realcent.org or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.

Question about "View Unread Posts"

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:44 am

I use the RC site quite a bit and think that it is a fantastic place to go to laugh, cry and become informed.

One question that has bugged me a bit revolves around the area on the Home Page which says "View Unread Posts".

For me this shows 34 pages of unread items and I noticed that page 34 has 11 unread items on it. That's fine, but what I can't figure out is this. It is late at night and I'm sure there is very little activity right now. Yet, no matter how many of the unread posts I look at, it still shows 34 pages of unread posts with 11 items on the last page. For those posts with multiple pages of responses, I am careful to go to each of the pages for the particular thread.

What stumps me even more is that after reading a lot of items that 34th page shows 11 DIFFERENT items than it did before I was reading.

Is it possible that 34 pages is the most that the site will allow to be displayed due to system limitations and that in reality there might be hundreds of pages of unread items? In other words, is it possible that there are really perhaps 200 pages or more of unread items and I will have to read A LOT MORE before I can get the system to show less than 34 pages of unread items?

If anyone (administrators?) has any thoughts on this, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Question about "View Unread Posts"

Postby natsb88 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:13 am

There is probably an arbitrary limit to how many are listed when you run the View Unread Posts search. There are 209,000+ posts in 17,000+ threads, so there are bound to be a LOT of results.

If you just want currently active threads, use View New Posts instead of Unread Posts.
natsb88

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:44 pm

Thanks Nate!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby knibloe » Thu May 12, 2016 5:44 am

Steve's post got me thinking that I might want to go back and look at a lot of the posts that I skipped in the past. Over the last several weeks, I looked at all of the post between now and last July. Yesterday all of the posts that I read came back up as unread. Anyone know how this could happen??
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu May 12, 2016 8:50 am

I was unaware of the "View Unread Posts" option until this post back in December. Since the posting on Realcent has been kind of sparse lately I have also been reading all of the old posts. I have worked my way back to Feb of 2014. I have found a number of good items that I missed the first time around. About your question, don't have an answer, but all of my reading history stayed the same. I am still where I was a couple of days ago.

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Realcent.org Operations and Policy Stmts