Fake SILVER

Re: Fake SILVER

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Treetop wrote:I honestly think modern commem dollars are about the least likely to be faked. Premiums are pretty low on most of them, and so are mintages.

so buy it....my philospohy? keep it simple. there are only 10 silver coins i buy.....Barbers, Standing Lib's, Walking Libs, Merc's, Roosies, Washingtons, Franklin's, Kennedy's, Ike's and Eagles....thats it....and i do have two Morgan rolls, GEM/BU's

and boxes and boxes of 25% nickel nickels and buckets of 95% copper's.....ALL which say "United States of America" and "In God We Trust".

very very simple.....i'm not going to be running around with an assay kit when i trade.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby fasTT » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
I have heard that old British gold sovereigns are the most faked coins in the world, but I don't know how accurate that is. But I haven't ever bought one for that reason, even though they are awesome looking coins with a great history.

The sov's that were counterfeited were primarily in the 40's and 50's and were usually made out of gold, identical in weight and purity to the real thing. The coin traded for above gold value at the time, and it made it worthwhile for counterfeiters to use the same materials to make them and still make a profit.

We have had a few fakes show up, but pay the same for the better ones, as they are still 22k gold.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bluegill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 pm

neilgin1 wrote:first off, i never call 90% silver pre-1965 American coinage "junk" silver.......JUNK is this fake counterfeit crap floating around.

i know to some people i might seem kind of goofy, "entertaining" as has been put to me, whose 'analysis' is really not that worthy for anything but a laugh, but i been maintaining all along, the only silver i buy HAS to either be 90% American pre-1965 rolls, 40% 1965-70 Kennedy Halves, or 40% "blue" or "brown" (proof) silver Ike's, 1971-1974....as well as American Silver Eagles....THAT IS IT.

no foreign coins, no ignots, no 'rounds'............it has to say "United States of America" and "In God We Trust", and with the two exceptions, it has to be pre-1965....even the Morgans, the FIRST whispers i heard of those counterfeiting bastards playing games with the 1921's, were a big warning to me. i only got two rolls of Morgans, an 1882, and 1889, and believe me, i weighed them and danged them and dinged them...they are real.....plus thats why i always deal with the same people, and i WILL pay up, for that security....i'm not looking for "bargains"........i'm looking for the finest rolls i can find, and when i read those ebay things, i'm so cautious, if EVEN ONE WORD spooks me, or a picture looks off, or they put too many "!!!!!" with it, i NO BID.

coz stacking silver is no game or hobby, this is life or death....in this window i got, before frn's go down the toilet, i am stacking silver, nickel, copper and lead with intensity, which is why i didnt appreciate when i wished i had an extra 10 to 20k, this minute , some poster thinking they were being funny, by suggesting i "rob some a##hole"...maybe he said "rich a##hole", i forget.

and like i wrote back, "i HOPE your joking", coz there's a time for humor and laughs, but when it comes to robbing or ripping off folks, or counterfeiting, or any such wickedness, all i see is RED...bright liquid RED.

Dude, knock it off with the racial slurs. Not cool...
Last edited by Bluegill on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 pm

What was the "racial" slur?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ZenOps » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 pm

It will probably get me into trouble, but I have noticed the quality of circulating US coinage deteriorating over the decades.

Quality seemed to have peaked somewhere around 1969, and then it kind of dramatically nosedived somewhere around the year 2000.

Meanwhile, fakes from the rest of the world weren't that great up until about a decade ago, and have dramatically improved in quality in the last five or so years.

Sign of the times I guess.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:56 pm

For those of you that have an Iphone (don't know about droid), there is an app by NGC, which allows you to either enter the serial code or scan the bar code on their slabs.

NGC is the ONLY grading company that has this app (as far as I know)!

That is one way to know whether NGS has actually graded the coin or it is a fake!

BTW... can the guy in the video get a better file! I almost fell asleep!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 pm

I just ordered examples of six different fakes. Thirty 1 oz "silver" pieces for $90, including express shipping direct from China. Took all of about an hour to find a Chinese seller and work out a deal for these lovely "silver bars." When they arrive I will document the weights and dimensions, take side-by-side comparison photos, and do some non-destructive and destructive testing. Also working on getting a hold of some fake 90% for the same purpose (yes, it does exist). Hopefully it will be an educational endeavor for all and will raise some awareness on what to look for.
natsb88

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 pm

natsb88 wrote:I just ordered examples of six different fakes. Thirty 1 oz "silver" pieces for $90, including express shipping direct from China. Took all of about an hour to find a Chinese seller and work out a deal for these lovely "silver bars." When they arrive I will document the weights and dimensions, take side-by-side comparison photos, and do some non-destructive and destructive testing. Also working on getting a hold of some fake 90% for the same purpose (yes, it does exist). Hopefully it will be an educational endeavor for all and will raise some awareness on what to look for.

Very cool Nate. Looking forward to this. :thumbup:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:21 pm

natsb88 wrote:I just ordered examples of six different fakes. Thirty 1 oz "silver" pieces for $90, including express shipping direct from China. Took all of about an hour to find a Chinese seller and work out a deal for these lovely "silver bars." When they arrive I will document the weights and dimensions, take side-by-side comparison photos, and do some non-destructive and destructive testing. Also working on getting a hold of some fake 90% for the same purpose (yes, it does exist). Hopefully it will be an educational endeavor for all and will raise some awareness on what to look for.

:clap:
TXBullion

Postby Treetop » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:

Very cool Nate. Looking forward to this. :thumbup:

definitely cool. Seems likely these issues will be more common, and that fakes are continually better. If anyone has one of these high quality fake maples Id like to get one, maples are one of my favorite forms of .999(9)
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:09 am

Thogey wrote:What was the "racial" slur?

Chink.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:12 am

And now I'm worried about my silver again. I was worried about this when I started buying silver and then I just kind of forgot about about for the most part. Like someone (I think it was Ray?) said, you probably have to just buy from the mint. Or a mint. It needn't be the governmint, as long as you trust that they make real stuff. Sunshine or wherever...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:02 am

scyther wrote:

Chink.

Wow, 47 years on this Earth and I didn't know chink was a problem. I just Wiki'ed it and learned. I always thought it referred to the CRAP they make in China, like fake coins, not asians.

Did you know the Indians (East) came up with that one? Thanks for the education. I would have had no problem describing a load of chink morgans to an asian. Now I know. I'm probably walking around all day offending people :oops:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 am

Bluegill wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:first off, i never call 90% silver pre-1965 American coinage "junk" silver.......JUNK is counterfeit coins floating around.

i know to some people i might seem kind of goofy, "entertaining" as has been put to me, whose 'analysis' is really not that worthy for anything but a laugh, but i been maintaining all along, the only silver i buy HAS to either be 90% American pre-1965 rolls, 40% 1965-70 Kennedy Halves, or 40% "blue" or "brown" (proof) silver Ike's, 1971-1974....as well as American Silver Eagles....THAT IS IT.

no foreign coins, no ignots, no 'rounds'............it has to say "United States of America" and "In God We Trust", and with the two exceptions, it has to be pre-1965....even the Morgans, the FIRST whispers i heard of those crooks playing games with the 1921's, were a big warning to me. i only got two rolls of Morgans, an 1882, and 1889, and believe me, i weighed them and danged them and dinged them...they are real.....plus thats why i always deal with the same people, and i WILL pay up, for that security....i'm not looking for "bargains"........i'm looking for the finest rolls i can find, and when i read those ebay things, i'm so cautious, if EVEN ONE WORD spooks me, or a picture looks off, or they put too many "!!!!!" with it, i NO BID.

coz stacking silver is no game or hobby, this is life or death....in this window i got, before frn's go down the toilet, i am stacking silver, nickel, copper and lead with intensity, which is why i didnt appreciate when i wished i had an extra 10 to 20k, this minute , some poster thinking they were being funny, by suggesting i "rob some a##hole"...maybe he said "rich a##hole", i forget.

and like i wrote back, "i HOPE your joking", coz there's a time for humor and laughs, but when it comes to robbing or ripping off folks, or counterfeiting, or any such wickedness, all i see is RED...bright liquid RED.

Dude, knock it off with the racial slurs. Not cool...(i re-edited this quote too....very sorry)...neil

your exactly correct in calling me on that.....thank you, and please forgive as i go back and re-edit. There's no excuse for that, except i was in a sour frame. chastened, neil

later add....hey bluegill, can you do me a HUGE favor, in your post quoting my foulness, could you take out the offending words?

Guys, i'm not trying to be "PC", its just that Bluegill was correct. If i say, "i follow Jesus" and i love God, what a TERRIBLE witness it is, just hypocritical on my part, to use such hard hearted slurs against ANY man, or race...thats not PC, thats Holy Spirit conviction....sorry to throw the thread off like that ya'll.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Fortunately, I have gotten nearly all of my silver either through the US Mint, Provident or my LCS. The issue of fakes is getting more attention and will continue to do so as the price of silver goes up. I would imagine that my LCS would already be ahead of the curve on this issue, but I may have a chat with them about it anyway just to see what procedures they use detecting fake coinage and bullion. ;)

Can't be too careful these days.... :?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JobIII » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:13 pm

I feel like I need to apologize for causing any distrust amongst the people here on RC. I was scammed into buying counterfeit silver from a major con-artist here in New England. For more on that issue check out this post, http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21313.

To anyone that is finding it hard to trust people here on RC as a result of that mess last month. I do want to offer my sincere apologies. I also want to stress the fact that no one was sold these fake bars.

Thanks,
~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Thogey wrote:
scyther wrote:

Chink.

Wow, 47 years on this Earth and I didn't know chink was a problem. I just Wiki'ed it and learned. I always thought it referred to the CRAP they make in China, like fake coins, not asians.

Did you know the Indians (East) came up with that one? Thanks for the education. I would have had no problem describing a load of chink morgans to an asian. Now I know. I'm probably walking around all day offending people :oops:

I know the word "chink" has been used as a racial or derogatory word. However, when I think of it's more common use, such as the expression "a chink in the armor"....meaning that the armor posesses some kind of weakness or vulnerability in it.
I suppose it may offend some people, depending in what context it is used.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:29 pm

there's gold in them thar bars!!!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:47 pm

I'd say that saying something like "chink coins" should be permitted, but referring to all Asians as such is a bit different. Maybe I am wrong, but who knows in this PC world. ;)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 am

This post has been edited to be politically correct.
Last edited by Engineer on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 93_Confirmed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am

JobIII wrote:I feel like I need to apologize for causing any distrust amongst the people here on RC. I was scammed into buying counterfeit silver from a major con-artist here in New England. For more on that issue check out this post, http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21313.

To anyone that is finding it hard to trust people here on RC as a result of that mess last month. I do want to offer my sincere apologies. I also want to stress the fact that no one was sold these fake bars.

Thanks,
~JobIII

No worries on my end. I read through your blog explanation and completely understand how you were caught off-guard and have an appreciation for how professionally you handled an incredibly stressful situation. I'd buy from you anytime and hope the rest of the RC/BS community will as well.
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 am

If you check Alibaba.com and search "Maple Leaf Replica Coin" you will get a huge list of suppliers of both gold and silver maples for $0.50-0.85 each. I'm going to put in a substantial order for my fake safe. I live in Western Canada. If you'd like to piggy pack on my order, let me know via DM and we can work something out.

Once I pick up some Chinese gold and silver maples, and put them in the safe with my big bag of nickel "silver dollars", I'll be totally prepped for a home invasion!
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby Catfish4u » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 am

JobIII wrote:I feel like I need to apologize for causing any distrust amongst the people here on RC. I was scammed into buying counterfeit silver from a major con-artist here in New England. For more on that issue check out this post, http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21313.

Thanks,
~JobIII

Sorry to hear about your experience but at least your money was returned. I bought 100+ fake Morgan's and involved the Secret Service. I set the perp up for another buy but the Secret Service agent quit returning my calls. I am amazed at our government's lack of involvement at protecting taxpayers.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 am

Catfish4u wrote: I bought 100+ fake Morgan's and involved the Secret Service. I set the perp up for another buy but the Secret Service agent quit returning my calls. I am amazed at our government's lack of involvement at protecting taxpayers.

Yeah they are too busy busting that poor honest fellow who was minting the Liberty rounds and stealing his hoard under the auspices of cracking down on "counterfeiting" to care about the real thing.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby 93_Confirmed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:41 am

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:
Catfish4u wrote: I bought 100+ fake Morgan's and involved the Secret Service. I set the perp up for another buy but the Secret Service agent quit returning my calls. I am amazed at our government's lack of involvement at protecting taxpayers.

Yeah they are too busy busting that poor honest fellow who was minting the Liberty rounds and stealing his hoard under the auspices of cracking down on "counterfeiting" to care about the real thing.

The government probably welcomes the influx of fake silver with the hope that it deters new investors and keeps them tied to their worthless fiat.
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

PreviousNext

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion