Buyer Beware: Fake Silver Eagles Surface...."

Re: Buyer Beware: Fake Silver Eagles Surface...."

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:37 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:They might be made in China, but I would bet JP Morgan & cohorts are the parties ultimately behind it. If they can scare the sheeple away from silver, their racket will continue to manipulate the market.

Yeah? Well, they can just bite me! :lol:

I'm not going to let them scare me away so easily....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:00 am

neilgin1 wrote:"An unknown number of counterfeit 2011 silver American Eagles have been introduced to the marketplace. Many are believed to have originated from China and sold to unsuspecting buyers via online auction sites. But now the coins are popping up at local gold and silver shops around the country, suggesting that holders of these fake coins are likely selling them into the domestic US market."

rest of article:

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/buyer-be ... ues_022013

okay....maybe it is, maybe it isnt....doing my early roll scan on Ebay, and i find this single coin listing.......all sorts of warning bells....first the offer.....$40 opening bid.....OR you can buy this beaut for the reasonable buy it now price of $200......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-American-E ... 3f2210d5c4

now lets see if i can link the photo of this beaut......

besides the utterly INSANE "bin" price, listen to this: the seller says: (you're going to love this)

"This coin has never been taken out of its casing. The box is missing the description card."

and "Seller Notes: “No defects. Missing the description page.”
Circulated/Uncirculated: Uncirculated Composition: Silver

what might be the tell is the star field to the right of the head.

what do you think?

heres the side by side in the OP

if you notice, the "E" in the fugazi is off a bit, the "E" in the offering LOOKS right on, it was the star field that picqued my curiousity....let me ask you all, whats this magnet thing we should do....how does a magnet help us tell c-feits?

in short, the whole pisser is this....NOW, we got to be both eyes open on what i adjudge to be one of the finest bell weather silver American coins minted.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:04 am

the above is not a fugazi.....but i sure would like to give these Chinese counterfeiters a bad day.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:32 am

Fugazi, haven't heard that in a while.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:13 am

For others that think Neil is referring to a band (good grief) it's Vietnam War slang for a messed up situation. F**ked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In. Now also used for reference to a fake.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:54 am

Hey Fugazi is a great band! I saw them in my college days, lots of fun!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:07 am

If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Thogey wrote:

oh! Major Tee...nice, a slight veer off the OP....in my HUMBLE opinion, of ALL the celluloid mafioso's portrayed?......hands down. Johnny Depp was the best.......because he underplayed it...so subtle...everything, and if you've known "guys who know guys".....you'd agree....NOT that every player in that film wasnt top rate, it's just that Johnny...had something special going on, which was to forget all the stereotype's....

tell ya a true story, and its kinda sad...in LA, you'll notice you see the same second tier character actors, who keep re-appearing in mafia based films or TV shows...same guys. and the sad thing is, these guys actually get to believing that they are half-a$$ed "connected"...i kid you not....there was one guy, no names, but you would recognize him....he actually tried to sell me a purloined directv access card, this was in the mid 90's....and it would allow me to get all channels, everything, and i forget the price....but here's this poor guy, been in academy award winning films.....and he's playing like mafioso in "real life"...it was just sad. Of course, i said no thanks, its thievery.

anyway, that story just came to mind, for some reason i never forgot it. probably because the guy WAS engaging in some form of theivery, or crookedness. i dont understand why people do stuff like thieve or counterfeit, front run stocks, etc etc ...dont they realize that in the end, one always comes to a bad end, from the lowest to the highest, Bernie Madoff will die in jail, he left in his wake,broken people,shattered dreams. i dont mean to stand on a soapbox, but a man's honor is priceless, honor cannot be bought, and if not guarded with care, its gone.

why'd i write all that?...because i believe at the core, of what ails this nation, is that men, leaders, dont hold honor as a precious attribute, which leads to public trust eroding to the point of rot.....a national blight. Once that blight and rot take hold....how can they be stopped?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver Runner » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks for keeping us informed. 90% junk silver is looking better and better.
Silver Runner
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion