Buyer Beware: Fake Silver Eagles Surface...."

Buyer Beware: Fake Silver Eagles Surface...."

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:45 pm

"An unknown number of counterfeit 2011 silver American Eagles have been introduced to the marketplace. Many are believed to have originated from China and sold to unsuspecting buyers via online auction sites. But now the coins are popping up at local gold and silver shops around the country, suggesting that holders of these fake coins are likely selling them into the domestic US market."

rest of article:

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/buyer-be ... ues_022013
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Buyer Beware: Fake Silver Eagles Surface...."

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Not cool. I'm going to have to start being more cautious. Old 90% and Canadian 80% are looking better all the time.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:09 pm

They might be made in China, but I would bet JP Morgan & cohorts are the parties ultimately behind it. If they can scare the sheeple away from silver, their racket will continue to manipulate the market.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:41 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:They might be made in China, but I would bet JP Morgan & cohorts are the parties ultimately behind it. If they can scare the sheeple away from silver, their racket will continue to manipulate the market.

...and the secret service will turn a blind eye while the market is flooded with fakes.

I'd love to have the resources to dig into who owns the factory.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mbailey1234 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:36 am

Wonder why they didn't put a weight of the coin in the analysis from the article? Must have been ok?

I think the differences in those counterfeits would be fairly easy to spot. Wonder if the dealers open up every single mint tube when they get a sealed monster box in? Kind of makes me want to open up my new BU rolls and check them out.. :?

Scary times!
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:19 am

mbailey1234 wrote:Wonder why they didn't put a weight of the coin in the analysis from the article? Must have been ok?

I think the differences in those counterfeits would be fairly easy to spot. Wonder if the dealers open up every single mint tube when they get a sealed monster box in? Kind of makes me want to open up my new BU rolls and check them out.. :?

Scary times!

Wouldn't sealed mint tubes be the safest thing to buy?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 am

scyther wrote:
mbailey1234 wrote:Wonder why they didn't put a weight of the coin in the analysis from the article? Must have been ok?

Scary times!

I would think someone that is serious about counterfeiting would be able to duplicate those too.

I just don't understand why or how they are allowed into this country in the first place. And maybe they are not. Does anyone know? Is it illegal to import them into this country?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mbailey1234 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:05 am

scyther wrote:

Scary times!

I could take a mint tube, put about 3 foam peanuts in the top and some heavy scotch type tape and that to me is all a mint tube is. I have often pealed the tape back and opened them to take a look then put it back when I'm done and I can guarantee you nobody would ever know the difference. Now the monster boxes have the bands on them so a little more difficult but not impossible. If they go to the trouble of making the coins I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't faking the monster box containers as well. Heck, you can even buy those from some dealers that have opened them. They sell the empty boxes. Then you would just need the bands.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:16 am

could be propoganda to scare people from silver. even legit alt media that is on the correct side can be used by the PTB. if its easy to detect the fakes, then its a lot less scary and does not serve the PTB purpose
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:50 am

mbailey1234 wrote:
scyther wrote:

Scary times!

I could take a mint tube, put about 3 foam peanuts in the top and some heavy scotch type tape and that to me is all a mint tube is. I have often pealed the tape back and opened them to take a look then put it back when I'm done and I can guarantee you nobody would ever know the difference. Now the monster boxes have the bands on them so a little more difficult but not impossible. If they go to the trouble of making the coins I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't faking the monster box containers as well. Heck, you can even buy those from some dealers that have opened them. They sell the empty boxes. Then you would just need the bands.

Sure, but a lot of coin stores buy direct from the mint right? That's What I meant. Even if you have a coin shop that's too lazy to check the silver they buy and just says "I know what it looks like", if they bought from the mint it's pretty assured...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:

could be propoganda to scare people from silver. even legit alt media that is on the correct side can be used by the PTB. if its easy to detect the fakes, then its a lot less scary and does not serve the PTB purpose

It's not propaganda. It's real and it really stinks.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0&manual=y
http://www.alibaba.com/products/F0/10_o ... D1742.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/68481 ... _Coin.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Enge ... 09245.html
Last edited by Thogey on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 am

hmmm.... I have very little in the way of .999 one ounce stuff... just fractionals that I buy direct from each mint, and 90%. I might have to stop selling and just conserve what I have.

as others have hinted at... this may or may not be some massive conspiracy to flood the market with fake silver... but it achieves an unintended purpose that those who maneuver the price desire. Fake silver flows into the hands of small buyers, leaving real silver (1000 oz bars) going to the Silver Users Association and to meet other industrial demand. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby pennypicker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:16 pm

This is precisely why I focus my collecting on average circulated walkers & mercs. Sure I pay a small numi premium but its worth it knowing I have "real" silver coins. Plus when I sell them later on I'll make sure I retrieve the small numi premium.

Moreover when silver one day reaches the $100 mark there will be much more silver counterfeiting taking place such as with the '64 Kennedy half. I'm guessing at that point in time buyers will be very willing to pay me a premium over spot for my average circulated walkers & mercs for the assurance they are getting the real deal.

Just make sure when buying walkers & mercs you cherry pick your coins and stay away from moderate to heavily worn coins because in the future when silver is high enough coin dealers and the like will be selling 90% by weight and NOT by face. :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:

very vaild point, and makes me feel like a "tool" for even linking......but i felt i had to. i would be remiss, if i didnt.

y'know...the collective base of knowledge on this forum?....we are certainly not "babes in the woods".....they better wake up purty early in the morning to fool this gang...i'm serious.

when i get a roll, carefully...i check each and every coin, no exceptions......thats why i dont get a hard on, about those OBW paper rolls....coz i'm gonna look at every single coin inside.

now these SAE 'fiet's....arent that good, they are easily discernible, on a side by side match.

off topic for a second, (sorry)...you know what one of the aroma's in the world is? (imho)

bacon a-frying....followed closely by boneless beef rib-eye on the grill....and third, the smoke from a hickory/dead red elm stove fire, smelled outdoors in the winter air.

sorry....its the small things in life, i get happy about. God bless America!
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm

neilgin1 wrote:off topic for a second, (sorry)...you know what one of the aroma's in the world is? (imho)

bacon a-frying....followed closely by boneless beef rib-eye on the grill....and third, the smoke from a hickory/dead red elm stove fire, smelled outdoors in the winter air.

I like to burn leaves in my grill on halloween.
That smell sure takes me back.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm

"Buyer beware. As prices of precious metals continue to rise, more counterfeit coins will find their way into the marketplace."
beauanderos

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:31 pm

justoneguy wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:off topic for a second, (sorry)...you know what one of the aroma's in the world is? (imho)

I like to burn leaves in my grill on halloween.
That smell sure takes me back.

+1000
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:33 pm

beauanderos wrote:"Buyer beware. As prices of precious metals continue to rise, more counterfeit coins will find their way into the marketplace."

buyer beware.....no problem...or as Hunter Thompson said, "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro".....i cleave to this maxim.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:53 pm

I'd like to see one of the fakes. I'd like to think I know what a real eagle looks and feels like well enough that a fake would jump out at me. I would only be concerned if I couldn't easily tell.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:11 pm

68Camaro wrote:I'd like to see one of the fakes. I'd like to think I know what a real eagle looks and feels like well enough that a fake would jump out at me. I would only be concerned if I couldn't easily tell.

check out the link in the first post of this thread... they have a pretty good primer there. :thumbup:

We need to compile all these links into a sticky
beauanderos

Postby christostock » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:20 pm

68Camaro wrote:I'd like to see one of the fakes. I'd like to think I know what a real eagle looks and feels like well enough that a fake would jump out at me. I would only be concerned if I couldn't easily tell.

Did you check the ones that guy christock just sent you? ;) :lol:
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 pm

christostock wrote:

I didn't think they had progressed to counterfeiting milk spots yet! :LOL:
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby christostock » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 pm

My LCS showed me a fake ASE the other day.
It looked horrible. Easy to tell that it was sh!t.
I am sure the newer fakes look better and are harder to tell the difference.
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:28 pm

beauanderos wrote:

check out the link in the first post of this thread... they have a pretty good primer there. :thumbup:

We need to compile all these links into a sticky

yep...i think that is a very very good project to endeavour to do...i dont have a camera, nor do i have any fugazi's to side by side, but we should remember to get that one going...it might even be the grist for a really good online resource e-book, or pdf wrapped.

this is all asymetrical warfare, and the best way to counter adversaries in an asymetrical conflict is wide disemination of pertinent info.

shine a bright light on it.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 pm

68Camaro wrote:
christostock wrote:

I didn't think they had progressed to counterfeiting milk spots yet! :LOL:

what?....you serious?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion