Fake 90% Silver

Re: Fake 90% Silver

Postby DuckTales253 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 am

natsb88 wrote:A comprehensive analysis will be posted on my website in the coming weeks.

I checked your web site and didn't see this page. Do you have a link? Or is it still in progress?
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 am

ZenOps wrote:Yes, plenty of dateless mercury dimes out there, slightly thicker rim usually, but very passable otherwise. Is the average person going to know that the rim is an indicator? Nope. My local coinshop guy even misses the occasional silver French franc (maybe he does just for fun) in the copper nickel bin.

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of fakes were originally produced in the US, it just makes sense as China really didn't have the expertise until about 20 years ago. The US landed on the moon, China is still working on it.

So Chinese fake is kind of a dual edged sword. In China it means a fake US coin produced in the US, passed off in China as a the real thing. Which is usually the exact opposite of what a person in the US thinks what "Fake Chinese coin" means. It probably just a Fake US coin produced in the US, passed off in China during 1948 to 2000 or so, being brought back to the US in 2000 to 2013.

I'm also pretty sure that 99% of US fakes in China were destroyed by Chinese in and around the 1960's era, and the few that remained are the ones that are showing up in the US again (I can only imagine how many millions of coins were fake before the great melt)

Heaven only knows how many illegitimate US 30 and 100 year million and billion dollar bonds were passed off as legitimate by unscroupolous US banks. I mean really, who is going to know after 100 years what a bond is supposed to look like for certain? And how are you going to chase down the guy who sold you a 100 year bond, 100 years ago?

Now that China has some expertise and is producing more copies, some would say that China learned all its lessons from the US.

Whether or not anyone in the US has mass-produced fake American coins is up for debate, simply saying it is so doesn't make it so. Where's the proof? On the other hand, there is no doubt that China has been the first to openly advertise fake coin product lines on the internet. It doesn't really make any difference to me who is doing the counterfeiting (it actually DOES fit a hidden agenda, in differing fashions, of both countries), the fact of the matter is there's a lot of fakes out there, more every day, and you have to be careful. They can be difficult to detect. Ironic, but this is just another form of debasement, the knowledge of which could go a long way to destroying faith in silver as real money, if people are afraid to trust it's purity/authenticity.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:29 am

Numis Pam wrote:
natsb88 wrote:
Thogey wrote:Where did you get this stuff?

Directly from China.

Why would you want to feed their greed and buy that stuff from them.... What am I missing here? :?:
Is it for educational purposes? If so... think how much more of it they will sell if we all did that... :o :?

know your enemy.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion