Fake 1963 Franklin

Fake 1963 Franklin

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Well... it had to happen. One of my favorite coins/year to stack 1963 Franklin half.

It weighs the right weight, every detail of the coin looks perfect... but you can clearly see a copper planchet beneath the thin layer of silver that coated its surface. Wear is on the high points on either side of the coin.

I can't take pictures, but trust me... if it weren't for the copper showing through... YOU would be fooled. Upon first cursory inspection, I thought it was one of those coins that people delight in marking with fingernail polish, and that someone had done a poor job of removing it, leaving a pinkish patina. But no, under a magnifying glass you can see where the plating is peeling off.

I just received it from a new dealer on BS whom I believe to be reputable. I will ask for a return for refund.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Fake 1963 Franklin

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Correct diameter and thickness?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:19 pm

68Camaro wrote:Correct diameter and thickness?

the width is right, it weighs 12.5 grams... it might be a hundredth of an inch thicker. Definitely clanks when you drop it, not rings. Like I said, if you didn't look closely, it just looks like smeared poorly removed nail polish on both sides.

I'd really like to keep it as an example of a fake (it's perfect, except for the wear points) but... I would like my money backv :shifty:

If I can recover my cost, I will offer if for sale for $11 shipped, and just inform the seller no further resolution is necessary, other than to be more careful in the future.

I've already emailed the seller, so you must be quick if you want this example. :shock:
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:22 pm

It's got to have lead in it as well then - a silver-plated copper/lead hybrid. You can't create the same volume of material in a silver fake without using lead as one of the constituents.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby bankmining » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Noooo! Bens' are my favorite form of 90% and I felt pretty good when Nate said in a much earlier post that he hadn't seen any Franklin fakes yet when he was doing his Chinese research.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby No82s » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:44 pm

spot on 68!
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:46 pm

68Camaro wrote:It's got to have lead in it as well then - a silver-plated copper/lead hybrid. You can't create the same volume of material in a silver fake without using lead as one of the constituents.

I guess then the other serious issue becomes the handling of lead in addition to the counterfeiting.....
TXBullion

Postby Engineer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:02 pm

TXBullion wrote:
68Camaro wrote:It's got to have lead in it as well then - a silver-plated copper/lead hybrid. You can't create the same volume of material in a silver fake without using lead as one of the constituents.

I guess then the other serious issue becomes the handling of lead in addition to the counterfeiting.....

I just feed it to the kids and animals. It seems to keep them calmed down and out of trouble.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:02 pm

TXBullion wrote:

does this mean that no one wants to buy it then? :lol:
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:05 pm

Dealer told me to keep it and he'll send a replacement.

I'm going to put this up in the KSA
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:13 pm

beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:39 pm

ok, I'm not liking this. Found two more, after I ring tested and weighed all the others.

1948 - 12.7 grams... too "shiny" almost looks polished... but clunks when you drop it
1954 - 12.4 grams... has same look as above... also clunks when dropped.
beauanderos

Postby TXBullion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:42 pm

beauanderos wrote:ok, I'm not liking this. Found two more, after I ring tested and weighed all the others.

1948 - 12.7 grams... too "shiny" almost looks polished... but clunks when you drop it

Yikes!!!!
TXBullion

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:05 pm

beauanderos wrote:ok, I'm not liking this. Found two more, after I ring tested and weighed all the others.

I'm sending these two back to the seller. Not asking for a refund. Told him if he feels they are fakes as well, then he can replace them... but if they seem authentic to him (after testing somehow... none of them are magnetic) then he can hold onto them and return them with my next batch of purchases. I'm not going to let a few bad apples spoil the cart, but this affair re-emphasizes the need to be careful. :thumbdown:
beauanderos

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion