On the magnet test...

On the magnet test...

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 am

I would like to have threads focused on specific techniques, and would start with this one. Having seen several youtube videos and because of them obtaining a N52 keychain type magnet, I've just very recently and fairly casually (so far) been playing with and observing the diamagnetic effect.

In using the magnet in "pendulum" mode, but strictly without permanent fixturing, the diamagnetic effect is obvious and intriguing. However, while I had hoped it was strongly unique to silver that may not be the case. While silver is fairly high in value for this property, copper and lead are also diamagnetic, and when I run this test informally (just letting it swing on the end of the short swivel) I see no clearly definable difference between behavior on a .999 silver bar versus behavior with a .999 copper bar.

I will setup a larger true pendulum, with a long arm, and see if this causes the behavior difference between diamagnetic values to become more pronounced, but at this point I have some concerns that this will be the be-all end-all test.

Who else has tried it with copper or lead?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: On the magnet test...

Postby coppernickel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:17 pm

Please elaborate on the N52 magnet, never heard of one before.

Rare earth magnet?
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:34 am

Google it, but the results are inadequate in my view so while having a strong magnet is a valuable tool, it isn't a panacea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oersted

N stands for neodymium. 52 is the strength of the magnet in megagauss-oersteds (MGOe). One MGOe is approximately equal to 7957.74715 J/m3.

An N52 magnet is the strongest current commercially available magnet.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppers4me » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:08 pm

just wanted you guys to know , A great source for neodymium magnets are inside an old harddrive. they are very strong and all I use for my silver.
coppers4me

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion