Non-Destructive Silver Testing, Pocket Kit

Non-Destructive Silver Testing, Pocket Kit

Postby jmaii » Mon May 06, 2013 5:18 pm

As I've been scouting flea markets and pawn shops for silver, I'm interested in building a pocket kit for non-destructive silver tests. Acid test is awesome, I know, but even an honest dealer isn't going to have me file into a silver eagle. I can think of five tests, and I'm hoping it won't take too much time when checking the coins.

Please share your suggestions; this is what I'm planning so far:

Magnet -- Tool: Rare Earth Magnet ($8)
If it sticks, throw it away. Silver should have very slight repulse when magnet is close. Candidate: http://amzn.com/B001KV38ES

Ring -- Tools: Ear, Silver Eagle ($30), Clad Ike Dollar ($1), Copper Penny ($0.01)
This is my favorite test; it just seems so elegant. Balance the suspect coin on my finger and strike with the copper penny. If it's sweet-like-silver-bells-on-Christmas then I proceed. If my ear needs a refresher, I listen to the difference between a true Silver Eagle and a Clad Ike Dollar (they both ring but the sound is much different).

Appearance -- Tool: Jeweler's Loupe ($5)
Silver Eagles in particular have very nice detail, and a 30x view should help find a fake. Candidate: http://amzn.com/B001T4OWZ0

Measurement -- Tool: Jeweler's Caliper ($6)
While the fakes have put a lot of attention on weight and diameter, it looks like they are trying to hide the extra base metal in the coin's thickness. I would measure diameter and thickness and compare to accepted values. Candidate: http://amzn.com/B0036ZW6TY

Mass -- Tool: Scale with 0.01 g sensitivity and at least 50 g max ($9), Calibration weight ($4)
One troy oz is 31.10g so the scale has to be able to handle at least that. I may get a larger scale for home if I buy larger bars, but that's off topic. Candidates: http://amzn.com/B0012LOQUQ & http://amzn.com/B000EG6T0A

I already have the coins, so $29 on this other stuff is the same price I'd lose if I bought one fake silver eagle. I just hope whipping out this equipment doesn't intimidate sellers or make them try to stick me with a higher price. Probably possible to still pick up a really good fake, but I'm not sure what else to try.
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Non-Destructive Silver Testing, Pocket Kit

Postby wjruth » Thu May 30, 2013 10:44 am

Bring a direct fit air -tite, coins that are made of plated brass need to be larger to weigh 1oz. See if it fits.
Do you have a smart phone? If you do, download a frequency tuner app. Use it as you ping the ASE, real 1oz silver coins ring at 3780hz +/-1%.
(I have tried this with ASE's and Fiji takus, both .999 1oz) Android users can download a bullion tester app that does this in a nice package.
I have the magnet Nate sells on Copper Cave - if you place an ASE on a counter and move the magnet over it closely, you can get the magnet to push the coin in the direction the magnet is traveling.
wjruth

Postby jmaii » Fri May 31, 2013 8:01 pm

wjruth wrote:Bring a direct fit air -tite, coins that are made of plated brass need to be larger to weigh 1oz. See if it fits.
Do you have a smart phone? If you do, download a frequency tuner app. Use it as you ping the ASE, real 1oz silver coins ring at 3780hz +/-1%.
(I have tried this with ASE's and Fiji takus, both .999 1oz) Android users can download a bullion tester app that does this in a nice package.
I have the magnet Nate sells on Copper Cave - if you place an ASE on a counter and move the magnet over it closely, you can get the magnet to push the coin in the direction the magnet is traveling.

Thanks for the suggestions. I got some equipment and will test over the summer. I was relying on my ear for the ring test, but I can try the Android app. :thumbup:
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 am

Fisch scales are excellent. If it passes the fisch, it's silver. And you can carry one in your pocket easily. They actually give you a little carrying pouch just big enough for the scale(s) you will need to bring, and a pocket guide on how to use them.

Here's a little animation on their site demonstrating how they work:

http://www.thefisch.com/
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:31 pm

What about just dropping a silver coin onto a table from about 2"-4" above the surface? The silver coins sound different than non-silver. And the cost is zero!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion