Using Marble to Detect Slugs

Using Marble to Detect Slugs

Postby jmaii » Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 pm

For the second time now I've heard of older cash registers having a marble slab as a means of slug detection. Knocking a silver coin on the marble made a much different sound than other metals (guess it's similar to a ring test).

Anyone try this method for counterfeit detection? I might pick up a marble tile and try this out, though it appears the test may require a piece of copper, wood, and/or open space below.
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Using Marble to Detect Slugs

Postby beauanderos » Wed May 15, 2013 7:48 am

jmaii wrote:For the second time now I've heard of older cash registers having a marble slab as a means of slug detection. Knocking a silver coin on the marble made a much different sound than other metals (guess it's similar to a ring test).

Anyone try this method for counterfeit detection? I might pick up a marble tile and try this out, though it appears the test may require a piece of copper, wood, and/or open space below.

makes good sense. The ring test is a good, quick, inexpensive and dependable test for weeding out "suspect" coins, but would prove worthless for detecting alloys with a similar sound signature... if they have been developed.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion