Sigma Verifier & Gold Maple (FAKE??)

Sigma Verifier & Gold Maple (FAKE??)

Postby NHsorter » Thu May 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Have a 1985 1oz Canadian Maple leaf. Placing it on the Sigma PM verifier, calibrated, on the "pure gold" setting.
Coin displays --> (arrow to the right) If I flip it, move it around, try different spots I can sometimes get it to display the Rectangle all the way to the right. But most of the time it is the arrow to the right. Tried repeatedly, same results. Come to find out, I might have OCD developing.

Have a 1979 and a 2015 1oz Canadian maple leaf. On the PM verifier, they show perfect, dead center, readouts. Moved, flipped, off-center a bit... all perfect center according to the verifier readout. Also have a 1oz US Buffalo and it is also dead center.

Waving a RE magnet over all the coins produces the same result, very slight resistance as would be expected on good coins.

All the coins are 31.1g.

All of the canadian ones are the same thickness, same diameter, same reeded edges, identical look and feel.

What I am getting at is that by all appearances, the 1985 passes the test. Just not on the Sigma doo-hickey.

Opinions??
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Sigma Verifier & Gold Maple (FAKE??)

Postby NHsorter » Fri May 15, 2015 8:03 pm

No opinions?? Let me put it this way. If a 1oz gold maple leaf is the correct diameter, thickness, weight, color, and has the correct magnetic interaction, could it still be a fake? I am leaning toward this being a good coin, but the verifier just does not like it for some reason. Hoping someone might have some insight. or even a suggestion for another test that I could perform on the coin (non destructive at this point!)
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 15, 2015 9:01 pm

You should get the verifier setup to measure the actual conductivity number and see how that compares with a control specimen. Could be that one coin was just slightly off nominal and the internal range criteria are just slightly too tight to cover an off-nominal coin.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby chris6084 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Not sure. I have tested quite a few maples, and have not had issues with any.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:34 pm

From your description, I would venture to guess that the coin is real, but slightly < .9999 gold. It does happen from time to time, as you and I discovered with that little Pamp bar. It does not have to be off by much to read bad on the PMV.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Fri May 15, 2015 9:42 pm

Ok, thank you all. I'll get the readout to display conductivity numbers and dig around to see what the results might mean. I suspect Nate is spot on with his assessment.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion