1856 $1 Gold - Real??

1856 $1 Gold - Real??

Postby Chaboo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:19 am

Someone local wants to sell this and sent the attached pics to me. Sorry they’re not very clear but hopefully they’re clear enough for someone to know. If not, please let me know and I’ll ask for better ones.

I have one request, if you reply with an opinion please state why you feel it’s real/fake so I know what to look at.
Thank you!! :thumbup:

APMEX has an 1856 - I guess there are slanted and upright 5 versions.
https://www.apmex.com/product/54357/185 ... right-5-au
Attachments
CE13EA95-F53E-4189-A498-0FAFFCFCE4FD.jpeg
CE13EA95-F53E-4189-A498-0FAFFCFCE4FD.jpeg (171.26 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
1DF08C03-7E4E-4656-B8CB-332F43D6AE79.jpeg
1DF08C03-7E4E-4656-B8CB-332F43D6AE79.jpeg (143.81 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 1856 $1 Gold - Real??

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:30 am

I can't say but if it isn't real I'd better check the couple of them that I have!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:07 am

I can't say whether it is real or not as well. I do remember going to a large coin show around 8-10 years ago. A dealer showed me 3 gold coins and asked me which one was fake. I responded that I couldn't tell as they all looked good to me.

He then told me ALL THREE WERE FAKES- AND CAME FROM THREE DIFFERENT SOURCES. I was absolutely floored.

I would want to use a Precious Metals Verifier (several people on this site have them) to give me more confidence about the authenticity of any gold coin I buy. We did a group buy of a bunch of them back in the day. A neat thing about the PMV's is that they can read through a slabbed coin so you don't have to crack open the slab. With the amount of counterfeit slabs out there, this is a valuable tool to have for many.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Chaboo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks guys - not real encouraging!! LOL

I took part in the original group buy for the PMV and plan on bringing it plus a scale. I haven't found too much helpful info in my searches. ....I haven't tried searching with duckduckgo yet - need to remember to use it instead of the google.

One thing that makes me feel good is, when comparing it to the image for the APMEX coin, the areas where the strike is weak, it seems to be the same on both. ??
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:58 am

The PMV will tell you if it is gold. It just won't tell you if it is fake. If you bought at bullion prices whether it is fake or not may not matter if it was made of gold.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby smackvay » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:56 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I can't say whether it is real or not as well. I do remember going to a large coin show around 8-10 years ago. A dealer showed me 3 gold coins and asked me which one was fake. I responded that I couldn't tell as they all looked good to me.

He then told me ALL THREE WERE FAKES- AND CAME FROM THREE DIFFERENT SOURCES. I was absolutely floored.

I would want to use a Precious Metals Verifier (several people on this site have them) to give me more confidence about the authenticity of any gold coin I buy. We did a group buy of a bunch of them back in the day. A neat thing about the PMV's is that they can read through a slabbed coin so you don't have to crack open the slab. With the amount of counterfeit slabs out there, this is a valuable tool to have for many.

Problem with this thought is that LOTS of these fakes are made of the correct gold, so you have to figure out another way.
Here is my go to EVERY time, track down Rodebaugh as he is pretty qualified in this old gold and morgans. :clap:

/thread :wave:
Mike
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion