Storing pennies on the second floor.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Storing pennies on the second floor.

Postby theo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:43 am

I store my pennies in an extra upstairs bedroom. Since I store my copper rounds in Brinks boxes (2250 in each), I'm pretty sure about a ton will fit nicely (stacked two high) under the twin bed we have in there. However, I'm concerned about weight issues. Is a ton too much to store upstairs?

Thanks

P.S. I have about 1500 pounds up there right now and haven't noticed any problems.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Storing pennies on the second floor.

Postby DollarsNSense » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:48 am

i wouldnt do it. why risk the extra weight? unless your storing those ontop of a support beam of the house or apartment, its just not worth to put a ton of pennies there.
could you imagine cleaning up 1 ton of pennies if it fell through? that would be a youtube sensation.
DollarsNSense

Postby avidbrandy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:27 am

What GoTTi means is you should totally go for it, just make sure you film it.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:09 am

Take them downstairs theo. Safety first.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 am

If they do fall through, it will save you the trouble of carrying it all downstairs.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:46 am

Basement is best. Lined against the walls in either bricks, small bags or peanut butter jars. Not on top of any sewer or water lines.

http://www.odditycentral.com/funny/russ ... coins.html

And not too high, or it will be a danger in an earthquake.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 am

Storing a ton of weight under your bed...sounds like A 1000 Ways to Die episode...new contest...name the episode.."Sort a Dead"?
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby galenrog » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:09 am

Use the floor that will take the greatest load, regardless of which floor. Most homes will not support heavy loads on second floor. Many homes will not support a concentrated heavy load on the first floor either. Best is any room with reinforced concrete floor. in an adequate safe (to retard theft), with an internal heater or dehumidifier. I have my safes welded to the rebar in the concrete floor, with a 40 watt heater inside to drive off moisture, thus preventing the green cancer.

Take all the advice you can and make your decision based on your circumstances. I wish you well.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:31 am

inflationhawk wrote:Storing a ton of weight under your bed...sounds like A 1000 Ways to Die episode...new contest...name the episode.."Sort a Dead"?

I would vote for "Death of the strangest sort." :lol:

This is not a bed a I sleep in (except when I misbehave ;) ) Also my house is only 25 years old, so I doubt a ton of extra wieght will cause an outright collapse (at least not immediately). After all isn't a large filled bathtub (with occupant) is also pretty heavy. Also, the previous owner had a hot tub in a our Florida room, which is ten feet off the ground held up by wooden stilts with no apparant problems. My concern is that it might cause some excess strain (and sagging) over several years.

Having said that, a ton pennies crashing down on to our dining room table may cool my wife's attitude toward my hobby just a little. ;)
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:34 am

galenrog wrote:Use the floor that will take the greatest load, regardless of which floor. Most homes will not support heavy loads on second floor. Many homes will not support a concentrated heavy load on the first floor either. Best is any room with reinforced concrete floor. in an adequate safe (to retard theft), with an internal heater or dehumidifier. I have my safes welded to the rebar in the concrete floor, with a 40 watt heater inside to drive off moisture, thus preventing the green cancer.

Take all the advice you can and make your decision based on your circumstances. I wish you well.

Sounds like good advice. When I started I never thought my pile would get this big. I will start moving them down to the basement.

Thanks guys!
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 am

Lincoln left him stinkin.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby twentybux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:04 pm

avidbrandy wrote:What GoTTi means is you should totally go for it, just make sure you film it.

Yes. I am sure it would be a hit! Look out below! :mrgreen:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twentybux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Just noticed that my post count was 666. Can't have that so making this post to get to 667. Ah...I feel better already. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:34 pm

The building code for bath tubs requires extra support so the floor under the tub is designed for extra weight, while a bedroom probably just has normal framing. It probably is fine, but if you have a better (lower) spot, then why not use it. Or spread out the weight a little to a couple different rooms upstairs.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mongo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Is your first floor ceiling under the storage room bowing yet? If it is id say move em quick.

Sort On

Mongo
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Cent1225 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 pm

From the chart of Structural loads for lumber on the internet (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/floor ... _1479.html), depending on the size of floor joists, the joist spacing, the maximum span and other Live loads in the room, you can get support for between 30 - 60 lbs per square foot. Erroring on the side of safety at 30 lbs/sq. ft., I wouldn't put more that $25 per square foot. If you have a 6ft x 6ft King bed that equals 36 square feet so you might be able to store $900 under a king bed.
My other rule would be that if you need a structural engineer to figure out if you and your family are going to be safe under several hundred or thousand pounds of anything, put them someplace where you don't need a structural engineer to figure that out!
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:58 am

Twenty 5 year old house is pretty new, but it depends how it's built too. If you are in a ranch you can chance storing them on inside walls that are supported by the main beam that holds the floor up without less chance of any sag. I just spread them out and put them where the floor is known to be strong, but am working on a semi-permanent storage for most of the hoard eventually, which will be in a basement.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cupronickel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Be sure to store them directly over a bed or a couch. That way when they eventually crash through the ceiling there will be a soft landing and the coins won't be damaged.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CU Baker » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:00 am

Just box them all up and send them to me, I will PM my address. No more stress about structual failure. I have a very nice place to store them. :P
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby getdong » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:33 am

i agree if nothing else eventually your going to have to carry a ton of two down the stairs lol. do you have a concrete foundation with no basement? if so keep them on the first floor. lots of good places to keep them both safe adn also out of the way. i have a small storage area under my stairs, area behind hte furnace and water heater, small storage closet.
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing