whats the purity on copper pipe/fittings?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

whats the purity on copper pipe/fittings?

Postby 97guns » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:50 pm

ive heard of guys stacking romex wire but never heard of anyone holding pipe and fittings.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Re: whats the purity on copper pipe/fittings?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:27 pm

PM wackzingo, he could tell you. Or, just call the local scrap yard.

I have held copper fittings and pipe for years, but I can't tell you the purity of the copper they have in them.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby wackzingo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Most copper tubing and fittings used for water is 99.9% pure. It contains small amounts of Phosphorous which I believe is either used to deoxidize it and/or keep it from oxidizing. I believe the most common grade is C106 which if you Google it you'll find all kinds of data sheets listing it's properties.
wackzingo

Postby 97guns » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:30 pm

hmmmm ok, i wonder if it can be bought at or near spot. i'll have to get down to home depot and find out.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:23 pm

I always thought it was 99%. I actually want to put an ad on CL buying up pipe as the scrapyards get ya sometimes
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:28 pm

I can't imagine copper pipe and fittings sold at Home Depot to be anywhere near spot. The manufacturer of the pipe probably pays spot for the copper they use to make the pipe. Then they add on their labor cost plus their profit margin. Finally they add on the shipping cost to ship it to Home Depot. Now it is Home Depot's turn to add on their large mark up to obtain a profit. I would guess in the end the retail price of copper pipe and fittings is many times spot. :ugeek:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby misteroman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:32 pm

^^^^^ it's about 2.5X spot last time I checked or about $10 a lb
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wackzingo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 am

Copper gets refined to about 99.95% to 99.99% but then small amounts of Phosphorus are added to reduce the oxidization that forms during the melting process. Regardless of purity, clean stripped copper wire, copper tubing, fittings, etc., all are considered #1 copper and will pay the same.
wackzingo

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing