Question on 1943 steel cent coloring

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Question on 1943 steel cent coloring

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 pm

OK, so I just got a bunch of 1943 pennies (various mints) and I have them with three different colors and I'm a bit clueless. I did a little research online and didn't find too much information, although I know that some can get re-processed with an extra zinc coat to clean them up, which kills the numismatic value, if any.

Anyway, so here's what I got (three colors) and here are my questions:

1. Black color, normal to large fading on both sides, but surprisingly good details even on the back, especially the ears of corn. I'm surprised. I am assuming this is the majority of steel cents in circulation? I was going to try soaking these in water only and overnight, then wipe with a clean cloth.
2. Light gray (almost like a primer paint color), definitely cleaner-looking and light in appearance, the usual pitting and dirt stands out a lot more.
3. Shiny gray with maybe a very slight bluish color (can't really tell exactly), beautiful, shiny, minimal scratches, almost perfect, PERFECT ears, practically flawless, edge of coin perfect. What the heck?? Are these MS-63 or higher? Or were these just re-painted or re-processed with zinc at some point, to preserve them? I mean, these things are practically perfect with no flaws. What am I missing here?

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post pics yet.

Last question and the obvious one. Which one do YOU put in your Dansco folder and why?

I'm looking forward to your responses on this one, as I'm a bit stumped. Thanks, everyone.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Question on 1943 steel cent coloring

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:11 pm

BUMP....any comments, anyone?
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:24 am

BUMP....OK, last try. Any comments would be appreciated. I'm surprised nobody has said anything, considering the number of copper and wheaties experts on this board.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 am

Steel cents wear very different than all other wheat cents. They are suppose to be a "strong colored" grey but most of them are dull grey colored now. They also tend to rust and react with different chemicals so thats why you will see black and redish ones.

A lot of people haev started "repoping" these as well. What I mean by that is they are just replating them with steel. If you see any super shiny grey ones thhan they are most likely "repopped"
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:01 pm

HPMBTT.......I went to my Official RedBook and was surprised that they didn't have a grading description specifically for color for the steel cent. If you have high speed and can find some good online sites I would use those as my guide as to which to pick for my album. Or try looking for some more detailed books on US Coin collecting at your local library.

Me, I only have rusted ones, so I'm no help to you.

1. Black color, normal to large fading on both sides, but surprisingly good details even on the back, especially the ears of corn. I'm surprised. I am assuming this is the majority of steel cents in circulation? I was going to try soaking these in water only and overnight, then wipe with a clean cloth.

Ummmmmmm.......don't mean to knit-pick here, but it is wheat ears on the reverse not corn ears. (Lincoln, Wheat Ears Reverse 1909 - 1958)

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing