How do you salvage copper?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How do you salvage copper?

Postby Coppergames » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:03 pm

Hiya Forum!- Well, I know most of you guys buy boxes of pennies and sort them by hand or machine, scrap, or buy copper but, I was wondering if you had a unique way of sorting, buying to salvaging all together. I always thought that it was interesting to see what you guys do differently so post away!

-Cgames
Got lots of stuff on sale, Stranga!
Coppergames

Re: How do you salvage copper?

Postby appjoe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:03 pm

I sit in a nice comfortable recliner with a 10 compartment plastic box on my lap and a scale next to me and a 16x magnifier. As i sort the box i separate into the compartments. 1 for copper pennies, 1 for 82 copper, 1 for 82 zinc, 1 for wheats, 1 for copper ugly abes, 1 for s mint, 1 for foreign, 1 for anything else like wide am's ect. The zinc pennies go back into the roll box. I just sit back relax take my time and most of all ENJOY.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Joogaler » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:26 am

appjoe wrote:I sit in a nice comfortable recliner with a 10 compartment plastic box on my lap and a scale next to me and a 16x magnifier. As i sort the box i separate into the compartments. 1 for copper pennies, 1 for 82 copper, 1 for 82 zinc, 1 for wheats, 1 for copper ugly abes, 1 for s mint, 1 for foreign, 1 for anything else like wide am's ect. The zinc pennies go back into the roll box. I just sit back relax take my time and most of all ENJOY.

And I thought I was insane for using 4 boxes when I was handsorting!

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:56 am

When sorting Rolls I use a paper to go tray to hold a roll as pick small numbers to sort in to containers

I use a small end nipper to rip ends off Shot gun rolls The ends go in trash an the larger piece :ugeek: goes to recycling :ugeek:

I Know :oops: but the Recycle Gestapo will rap my knuckles if i don't :lol: :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby appjoe » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Rosco wrote:When sorting Rolls I use a paper to go tray to hold a roll as pick small numbers to sort in to containers

I use a small end nipper to rip ends off Shot gun rolls The ends go in trash an the larger piece :ugeek: goes to recycling :ugeek:

I Know :oops: but the Recycle Gestapo will rap my knuckles if i don't :lol: :lol:

All my wrappers go into the compost barrel next year they will be turned into veggies.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:44 pm

I sort sitting in my chair using a lighted stand magnifier plus my 20x loupe, I have two other power loupes as backups plus a hand held microscope too. I sort with a lid from a plastic shoe box on my lap. I open the roll in such a way as to reuse it, if possible. I count the roll out in five piles of ten, making note of any shortages or overages. Then I look through the coins. The 1959 - 1981 go into a jar lid that sits on the shoe box lid and the 1982s have their own little spot on the lid where they stay until I weigh them about every four rolls. I have a small container that any wheats are placed in after making note of them in my search notebook. I have a two liter bottle for nasty 1985s, a two liter bottle for nasty 1987s, a small Powerade bottle for nasty 2009s. I have a pretty glass container for nice 1985s, another glass container for nice 1987s, yet a different glass container (pictures shown on this forum) for the nice 2009s. After going through the coins, making my notes in the notebook, I count to see how many pennies I need to replace those that I have pulled. Take those replacement pennies out of their little plastic container where they stay until I need them and then I reroll the pennies counting to 10 five times as I make certain there are fifty pennies back in the roll that will go back to the bank with my mark on the wrapper that I have searched that roll. I also have a larger plastic tub where I toss any Canadian pennies that I find. I have a glass canning jar that I place the other foreign coins that I find.

A simple system that works for me with my limitations. And, something that I enjoy. It is great fun to be able to look back at my notes and see what I found, when, etc.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:35 pm

Forgot to add that I also have a small jar that I put my "S" mint marks in for safe keeping.

PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:26 pm

i put about 10 bucks worth in a tray and grab a fist full. coppers go in a bucket ,82s in a pile to be checked later and all others get either thrown in the zinc bucket or depending on the box i end up with little piles next to me on the couch s mints,canadians,foreign,ect
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby appjoe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:42 pm

PreservingThePast wrote:I sort sitting in my chair using a lighted stand magnifier plus my 20x loupe, I have two other power loupes as backups plus a hand held microscope too. I sort with a lid from a plastic shoe box on my lap. I open the roll in such a way as to reuse it, if possible. I count the roll out in five piles of ten, making note of any shortages or overages. Then I look through the coins. The 1959 - 1981 go into a jar lid that sits on the shoe box lid and the 1982s have their own little spot on the lid where they stay until I weigh them about every four rolls. I have a small container that any wheats are placed in after making note of them in my search notebook. I have a two liter bottle for nasty 1985s, a two liter bottle for nasty 1987s, a small Powerade bottle for nasty 2009s. I have a pretty glass container for nice 1985s, another glass container for nice 1987s, yet a different glass container (pictures shown on this forum) for the nice 2009s. After going through the coins, making my notes in the notebook, I count to see how many pennies I need to replace those that I have pulled. Take those replacement pennies out of their little plastic container where they stay until I need them and then I reroll the pennies counting to 10 five times as I make certain there are fifty pennies back in the roll that will go back to the bank with my mark on the wrapper that I have searched that roll. I also have a larger plastic tub where I toss any Canadian pennies that I find. I have a glass canning jar that I place the other foreign coins that I find.

A simple system that works for me with my limitations. And, something that I enjoy. It is great fun to be able to look back at my notes and see what I found, when, etc.

Why save the 1985'sand the 1987's ??
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:42 pm

appjoe wrote:
PreservingThePast wrote:I sort sitting in my chair using a lighted stand magnifier plus my 20x loupe, I have two other power loupes as backups plus a hand held microscope too. I sort with a lid from a plastic shoe box on my lap. I open the roll in such a way as to reuse it, if possible. I count the roll out in five piles of ten, making note of any shortages or overages. Then I look through the coins. The 1959 - 1981 go into a jar lid that sits on the shoe box lid and the 1982s have their own little spot on the lid where they stay until I weigh them about every four rolls. I have a small container that any wheats are placed in after making note of them in my search notebook. I have a two liter bottle for nasty 1985s, a two liter bottle for nasty 1987s, a small Powerade bottle for nasty 2009s. I have a pretty glass container for nice 1985s, another glass container for nice 1987s, yet a different glass container (pictures shown on this forum) for the nice 2009s. After going through the coins, making my notes in the notebook, I count to see how many pennies I need to replace those that I have pulled. Take those replacement pennies out of their little plastic container where they stay until I need them and then I reroll the pennies counting to 10 five times as I make certain there are fifty pennies back in the roll that will go back to the bank with my mark on the wrapper that I have searched that roll. I also have a larger plastic tub where I toss any Canadian pennies that I find. I have a glass canning jar that I place the other foreign coins that I find.

Why save the 1985'sand the 1987's ??

The 1985s are the birth year for the DIL. She received a decorated quart canning jar filled with all 1985 pennies this past June on her 25th birthday from me with a litle note telling her how many pennies I had searched and how much time I spent searching them to fill that jar. My son will turn 25 in less than two years, so he is the 1987. For him, which I started the birth year coin project for first back in 2008 when he turned 21 and I couldn't just waltz into my local bank and get 21 large dollar coins (Ikes) for his 21st birthday, I am doing 25 of the nicest I can pull from circulation from each coin denomination for his birth year. I keep track of the amount I search, the time spent searching=love for them. It gives me something fun to do, plus I have gotten into numistmatics because of this. In 2009, they each had even numbered birthdays so they got their age divided by $2.00 bills. Something different and something I hope will be a life long loving memory. I also search foreign junk bins at coin shows and pull their birth years and that is part of their 25th birthday gift. Plus at the FUN Show, 2010, there was a booth where I was able to get two $25.00 bags of shredded currency--another tie-in to 25th.

They were married in 2009 so I keep all 2009 coins for them for anniversary coin jars for whatever anniversary when I can eventually fill them. One large nice jar for the nicer 2009 pennies (and a smaller pretty shaped jar for non-penny 2009 coins). I am keeping the nastier ones too separate and may give those to them sooner. I have two larger identical glass jars that are for each of them for their 30th birthdays and I hope to be able to fill each of those with their respective birth year pennies.

I can't control the years they were born, or married for that fact as 2009 has been tough for finding coins!!!, and I can't afford to spend a lot for their gifts. This gives me something to do that I enjoy and I hope they will know the amount of time and love I put into it for each of them.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing