Copper cent selling price revisited.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper cent selling price revisited.

Postby PennyPauper » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:38 am

There have been many discussions here on what is a fair price for selling copper cents. Granted many sellers,including myself,have sold for what most sorters know is well below their true value,or even the value of having collected them in the first place. The free market is what it is,whatever a buyer and seller agree to. I say in confidence that,in spirit,the overwhelming majority of members here beleive in true free markets and the freedom and ability for anyone to do as one sees fit to in their own interests. For we all love liberty and our freedom! So I sumbit to the debate my idea that in the future sales of copper cents which we have worked so hard to obtain,that maybe a fair benchmark for selling copper cents would be one cent below the current metal value,I don't like to use the word "melt",which most of us keep track of on Coinflation.This way the sellers would get a fair price,currently 1.7 cents each,and the buyers taking the risk would have a built in one cent or $100 per lot potiental profit. I think this is a fair benchmark and we need to find ways to inch the prices realized higher.
I know the value of the cu cent is well above this 1.7x value but the market here struggles to hit 1.5x,so maybe if enough of us stay close to this new benchmark we can collectively set a new floor price for our beloved copper cents. So thats my two cents and I await the informed debate that will likely come.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Copper cent selling price revisited.

Postby slickeast » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:59 am

I sell at 1.8 x. I sell enough at this price to keep me happy. I use the profits to buy more to sort, or buy silver. I am not a buy and hold sorter. I do keep some in reserve, but I do like selling for a profit so I can continue to fund my hobby and build the reserve pile.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennyPauper » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:17 am

slickeast wrote:I sell at 1.8 x. I sell enough at this price to keep me happy. I use the profits to buy more to sort, or buy silver. I am not a buy and hold sorter. I do keep some in reserve, but I do like selling for a profit so I can continue to fund my hobby and build the reserve pile.

Is this one steady buyer or do you have several at that price? I know you have been at it longer than I have and surely have more contacts.
Are you pulling the wheats or just sorting out the copper? I think if the wheats and sometime indian are present it would give the final selling price a boost.
What do you think of my benchmark "compromise"? I've never seen a sell ad on here from you and I know you have a few machines so I'd say coppers have treated you well?
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 am

In 15-20 years they will easily sell for a nickel each.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby Copper Member » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 am

I think that is called collusion.Ha ha. I have not sold any ,but would not move mine below $175/$100. My 2 cents...zinc of course.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tinhorn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:46 pm

I'm glad this thread got bumped--I hadn't seen it before, yet it addresses a topic I've been wondering about.

IF, as I've read, even mainstream sources are touting copper as an investment, and IF guys are selling "ingots" for ten times their metal value, and IF we expect to pay a premium when we buy silver or gold as a hedge or investment--even junk silver, why are so many selling their investment-grade "copper bullion" at scrap metal prices?
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:27 pm

tinhorn wrote:I'm glad this thread got bumped--I hadn't seen it before, yet it addresses a topic I've been wondering about.

IF, as I've read, even mainstream sources are touting copper as an investment, and IF guys are selling "ingots" for ten times their metal value, and IF we expect to pay a premium when we buy silver or gold as a hedge or investment--even junk silver, why are so many selling their investment-grade "copper bullion" at scrap metal prices?

There always seems to be a person willing to sell at 1.3-1.5 so it makes most of the rest of the people have to lower their prices to be able to compete.

Ideally the price should be at 2x right now.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Corsair » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Even though I'd love to see a benchmark, that's just not going to happen. For a lot of people, much of their "security money" is tied up in copper. If something happens and they need that cash, waiting a few days to get a bite at 1.7x just isn't an option.

I think the only time we will see a major increase in the consistent Buy Price of copper cents is when something drastic happens. This could be a serious drop in copper percentages, a composition change, the elimination of the penny, an unprecedented fluctuation in the copper spot price, or the lift of the melt ban.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:32 pm

PennyPauper wrote:
slickeast wrote:I sell at 1.8 x. I sell enough at this price to keep me happy. I use the profits to buy more to sort, or buy silver. I am not a buy and hold sorter. I do keep some in reserve, but I do like selling for a profit so I can continue to fund my hobby and build the reserve pile.

Is this one steady buyer or do you have several at that price? I know you have been at it longer than I have and surely have more contacts.
Are you pulling the wheats or just sorting out the copper? I think if the wheats and sometime indian are present it would give the final selling price a boost.
What do you think of my benchmark "compromise"? I've never seen a sell ad on here from you and I know you have a few machines so I'd say coppers have treated you well?

I keep a listing on E-Bay. Usually small lots. Just trying to make a name for myself. I always contact the buyer directly once I receive payment. I use the E-Mail I get from the paypal transaction so E-Bay doesn't see it. I can usually make another sale or two this way and at a lower cost to the buyer.

As far as the wheats go, I usually just send out whatever got sorted. Wheats and Canadians are in the mix. I use to sort through them, but the time to do so was too much for me to invest.

Yes, I have 3 Ryedales. I have sold a good bit of copper. The money is just recycled back into more to sort or I buy silver or gold with the profits.
slickeast

Postby slickeast » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Oh yeah I forgot

The buyers are paying 2x PLUS shipping. After the dust clears and E-Bay and paypal are done I see about 1.8x
slickeast

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing