Do I get a tone of discouragement?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Postby coppernickel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:51 pm

We all know markets, economics and investing are cyclical. This cycle has gone longer than expected, but hearing the discouragement, and liquidation leads me to think we may be nearing the bottom.

The arguments valid for acquiring copper cents remain valid. Looking today, copper cents are worth 167% each and though not in great abundance can be found in circulation. Look at some of the old posts.

This has always been a very small community. Those willing to think small like cents and copper and quarks frequently get maligned, but we've stuck with it through the first wave of the second great depression.

Keep it up.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Do I get a tone of discouragement?

Postby coppernickel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Saving in RealCents is definitely not a get rich plan.

It is action to preserve some small wealth until needed in the future.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Changechecker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Been expanding my reading subjects. Looking for different perspectives, alternative ideas,etc. Hear a lot about potential zinc deficiency. Wondering if it would be worth keeping all cents (once separate). If we have inflation the cent may be discontinued and potentially create a sub-market for zinc as well. Thoughts.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:44 pm

Silver on it's way back up? Well, maybe a little. Copper being shunned? Seems like for a while now. Hummm, my contrary brain said go to the bank and search all the CWRs of pennies. Result was 29 steel and 6 Indians. Brain says go back to bank and buy ALL the rest of the CWRs for silver. Result was 3 mercs, 3 '64 Roseis, 2 silver Jeffs and a hand full of older Jeffs. Not a windfall but all good by me.

Felt good to fire the Ryedale back up and watch my FRNs turn into value. I'll be doing more while other shun it if for no other reason I march to the beat of a different bag piper.

This is how I want to start and end my meals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Y3r98Ols
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:29 am

johnbrickner wrote:Silver on it's way back up? Well, maybe a little. Copper being shunned? Seems like for a while now. Hummm, my contrary brain said go to the bank and search all the CWRs of pennies. Result was 29 steel and 6 Indians. Brain says go back to bank and buy ALL the rest of the CWRs for silver. Result was 3 mercs, 3 '64 Roseis, 2 silver Jeffs and a hand full of older Jeffs. Not a windfall but all good by me.

Felt good to fire the Ryedale back up and watch my FRNs turn into value. I'll be doing more while other shun it if for no other reason I march to the beat of a different bag piper.

This is how I want to start and end my meals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Y3r98Ols

Wow... nice Thogey's widow find :clap:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:47 am

I don't know if discouragement is the word- maybe apathy. I've got a few dozen $25 boxes of cents to go through but don't feel like I'm in any real hurry to do so. Also, I'm a bit frustrated in that I don't have a really good place to store them. That means I'm going to have to do some cleaning to make a place. So a lot of work for something that likely won't pay very well for many years. This is all said, even though I own a Ryedale.

It would be hard for me to get excited by selling copper pennies for just two or three cents each- a dime each would be more like it and that may not happen in my lifetime. Silver and nickel, on the other hand have had much bigger spikes in the past and (in theory) would be more likely to have bigger spikes in the future.

I do agree that when the sentiment is very negative often times can be the sign of a bottom forming. We'll see...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hammerrob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:27 pm

TD Bank shutting down their Penny Arcade machines threw a wrench in things for me. I still do some very limited sorting, but there are only so many Coinstar gift certificates for Amazon that I can use so it's not nearly even the low volume I used to do. There is no way that I'm am going to roll my dump coins and return them to the bank!
hammerrob
Penny Pincher Member

Postby dakota1955 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 pm

I am having the same problem I was told by people from Well Fargo banks are taking out their coin counters. So that end a source bank and also a dump spot at different Well Fargo banks. Has anyone heard this about Well Fargo banks?
dakota1955

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Just for the hell of it, I hand sorted 10 FV in pennies tonight.....SLOWLY rebuilding the hoard I once had. I'm guessing that I got about 20% coppers out
of the 20 rolls I had.

I don't know. I was just a little bored and wanted something to do. Picked up 5 rolls of nickels. Not much to find, just a few from the 40's and 50's.
No War nickels or anything like that.

Yes, I'm still around, but just lurking and haven't posted much lately. :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PennyPincher » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:20 am

I'm not discouraged. I enjoy hand sorting pennies and nickels while listening to something on TV or YouTube.

Copper pennies are easy to find and certainly an excellent store of wealth at 177% of face value. I've also purchased several boxes of brand new, shiny zinc pennies. At 72% of face value, they represent a reasonable store of wealth.

I've been hoarding nickels as well. I've collected over $1,300 worth of nickels. Their metal value is 69% of their face value, so I consider that to be a monetary upgrade. After all, the paper money I bought my nickels with had no intrinsic value. Metal money is superior to paper money.

On trips to Canada, I bought many Canadian nickels. I found over 1,000 pre-1982 99.9% Ni coins, plus the Cupro-Nickel alloy coins (1982-2001 + 2006) are reasonable monetary upgrades as well at ~84% of their face value. I returned the newer steel nickels.

Given the history of copper and nickel prices in conjunction with inflation, it's reasonable to assume that the nickels will regain lost ground at some point. Regardless, I like having my US currency backed up by *something*!

Aside from the metal values, I've also been finding plenty of wheaties, Canadians (including some King George VI), an occasional Indian Head, as well as an occasional exotic foreign coin (a 1990 Bahamian cent, most recently). My last great find was a 1917 'S' in "fine" condition.

With nickels, I seem to find a "good" condition Buffalo nickel once in a while, plus I consistently find silver war nickels. I recently found my first 1953 'S' Jefferson as well, helping me fill in my collection book.

Anyhow, though it's nice to obtain an immediate profit, I also find value in coins as a defensive play. By upgrading your paper money to metal money, you obtain a greater level of financial safety. It will protect you from deflation, hyperinflation, and if the underlying metal prices happen to go up, that's a win too. The only losing scenario is mild inflation without rising metal prices. As an investment, that's pretty low risk with a high level of safety.
PennyPincher

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 pm

So I've sorted 15 FV in pennies during the last week. I found at least 10 wheats, 4 Canadians, and a decent percentage of coppers!

I also went through 20 FV in nickels too, just to see if I could find anything interesting. Nothing noteworthy, just a few pre-60's jeffersons.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing