Looming copper shortage?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Looming copper shortage?

Postby PennyPincher » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:19 am

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-looming-copper-supply-crunch/

This article suggests that there will be a copper shortage beginning within the next five years.

Given there are no good substitutes for copper wiring and demand for copper keeps rising worldwide, isn't it wise to hoard as much copper or cupro-nickel alloy as one can before it's too late? Additionally, Trump is expected to spend heavily on infrastructure projects that will require copper, plus electric cars are gaining popularity (even more copper required...)

Is this the last year that copper coins will be so inexpensive to obtain?
PennyPincher

Re: Looming copper shortage?

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:04 am

Looks like another long-term strategic to me. Kind of goes with peak everything. I don't know about cupro-nickel but do prefer high % nickel coins over mix. I also don't know about this being the last year to get copper coins inexpensively as mine have always been just a penny each (+ time and effort) and the deflation/inflation tug-of-war continues so a strong U$D makes commodities "cheaper" to obtain.

Most know my preference is bent towards long-term and contrarian to the crowd. So if no one is firing up the Ryedale, it makes me take a second look at doing just that.

Time to march to the beat of a different piper:

johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby messymessy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Guy at the supply house says that the wire companies are expecting copper wire prices to double by June. Only thing that would do this is an increase in the price of copper.

However, they have said the same thing before and been wrong.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPincher » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Copper is up 11.5 cents (4.5%) today! It's now at $2.75 per pound.

http://www.kitcometals.com/
PennyPincher

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:54 pm

highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:56 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Looks like another long-term strategic to me. Kind of goes with peak everything. I don't know about cupro-nickel but do prefer high % nickel coins over mix. I also don't know about this being the last year to get copper coins inexpensively as mine have always been just a penny each (+ time and effort) and the deflation/inflation tug-of-war continues so a strong U$D makes commodities "cheaper" to obtain.

Most know my preference is bent towards long-term and contrarian to the crowd. So if no one is firing up the Ryedale, it makes me take a second look at doing just that.

Time to march to the beat of a different piper:

Curse you John! I've been fixated on pipe and drum music, especially Scots martial parades, ever since you posted this. I've got to stop!! :lol:
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing