What is your bottleneck?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: What is your bottleneck?

Postby Silver4face » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:impossible to dump here unless rolled.

You don't have any banks with coin machines? I sometimes roll up junk anyway, but I love to dump boxes or cans of junk to save time and to sometimes find freebies in the reject tray.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:00 am

Silver4face wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:impossible to dump here unless rolled.

You don't have any banks with coin machines? I sometimes roll up junk anyway, but I love to dump boxes or cans of junk to save time and to sometimes find freebies in the reject tray.

Nope, just one credit union and its far away.

It Atlanta my local Wells Fargo would take bagged coin.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 am

I wish I could get bags...i still buy boxes when I can, Save everything...I have buckets of zincs, bags & drums of copper cents and unsorted boxes like HCBTT had. I have been buying Morgans the last few years.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:15 pm

Careful of returning bagged coin.

Boa did that for me. Then ,,,,messed up,,, bags. I lost 400.

So unless you have weighed it out. Do Not trust them.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Silver4face » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:30 pm

Cwgii, what is boa? Is it "boy scouts of America"?
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Catfish4u » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:00 pm

Silver4face wrote:Cwgii, what is boa? Is it "boy scouts of America"?

Bank of America I am sure!
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 pm

Glad this thread got bumped! (I joined RC in January, 2013 so I didn’t see the original posting)

Another factor I didn’t see mentioned is fees charged for dumping by Coinstar and others.

For me I’ll use the term “opportunity cost”, the cost of the next best alternative forgone. I have to be honest with myself and say that (almost always) time spent trading in the stock market pays much better than time spent on coins. Of course I lose occasionally, but I can also lose when looking for rolls of coins if I go to a bunch of banks and come up empty handed.

Even when the stock market is closed I can always be researching that next great trade opportunity.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Silver4face » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:28 pm

The fee factor is a legitimate addition to the list of bottlenecks. Certain geographical areas might be loaded with fees instead of FREE dump machines. But I would like to point out that most people on this site are much too smart and/or frugal to pay fees!! People that use coinstars are often too lazy to roll stuff up. Coinstar fees are 12 and a half percent, which is fine if you are a millionaire or billionaire - most of us aren't.

Not really sure if the stock market counts as a bottleneck because it's an unrelated issue. If we count the stock market as a bottleneck, then we must count all other money making activities as well such as scrapping, flea marketing, crafting, and anything else that someone can think of.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:20 pm

For those using coinstar, someone posted years ago about getting paid in Amazon or Walmart gift cards to avoid the fee. Not sure if that's possible still but worth investigating.

I found a credit union 20 minutes away that takes loose coin. I take about $75 a week and its quite a hassle because they always have to change the bag, etc.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing