I'm An "Oldie - Newbie"

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I'm An "Oldie - Newbie"

Postby Merwanseth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Greetings -

I'm an "oldie - newbie". By that I mean that I've seen my 60th birthday come and go. And although I've been lurking for a year or more, this is my first post.

I've enjoyed and appreciated this site. Important information continually being shared.

I became interested in coin collecting as a child, mostly pennies and nickels, starting in the late 1950's. I looked through lots of rolls that my dad was nice enough to bring home from the bank. By the time I became a young adult, I had a pretty good understanding of numismatics and had a number of the cheap "blue" coin collecting booklets at least partially filled.

I remember the public discussion in the mid-1960's about keeping pre-1965 silver coins. But I was still a kid and didn't have enough perspective or money to have saved much silver at that time.

In 1982, I remember the changes to the penny and saved some. But I was too busy with family and work to have taken advantage of the situation and gotten a lot of pennies at that time. It wasn't until about 2006 that I began to realize and act upon the arbitrage or significant advantage to collect and hoard copper pennies because their melt value was more than their face value.

Then, fortunately, I found this site a few years after that and have been a regular lurker ever since.

I'm not sure what my reason is for finally "coming out" and joining Realcent. At this time, I'm not really looking to sell any of my hoard or other numismatic coins, nor will I likely purchase much that I don't sort myself.

I've been a health care provider for over 30 years. I've read many of the topics from the different forums within Realcent. I appreciate many of the posts on the health-related topics like: "health-related items to stock up on", etc. Perhaps, when appropriate, I can offer some useful perspective within these topics, as well as interact and share from my 50 years of experience as a coin collector and hoarder...

Finally, for this post, I want to say that I appreciate the diversity of opinion I read on this site. It's obvious that the members are from different cultural, spiritual and political backgrounds. There appears to be a genuine respect for everyones' personal beliefs and activities. Personal honor seems to me to be the most important characteristic I feel that comes through much of what I read here.

Thank you for having this forum available...

Merwanseth
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Re: I'm An "Oldie - Newbie"

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Solid first post. Welcome aboard.

Everyone has their first post. Discounting HCBTT I think he started out with a thousand posts.

Healthcare....great! What did you work/practice as?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Looks like I'm first to say 'welcome' even though I am a noob myself. Please contribute as you have time and certainly share your wisdom from the health care perspective. If times get tough, as many of us expect, it would be nice to have a fallback position in case regular (meaning the type of care we've grown accustomed to) health care is unavailable.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:21 pm

welcome mer and please don't be a lurker any longer! post and post often!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Nice post man. Thanks for posting. Now you don't have a reason not to post. Post well and post often.

Deal

p.s. Healthcare huh....
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tbram88 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Welcome, good first post.

Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby glass » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Merwanseth wrote:I've been a health care provider for over 30 years. I've read many of the topics from the different forums within Realcent. I appreciate many of the posts on the health-related topics like: "health-related items to stock up on", etc. Perhaps, when appropriate, I can offer some useful perspective within these topics, as well as interact and share from my 50 years of experience as a coin collector and hoarder...
Merwanseth

Welcome, I'm a older newb too, and there is a a wealth of great info here
looking forward to health-related items to stock up on
glass
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aristobolus » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:35 am

Welcome! I don't really feel verbose in light of the situation in Japan (probable melt-down of a nuclear reactor), but your post brightened an othewise dismal night. I really like this forum; I agree with your read on us. We are a fraternal potpourri of America.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:53 am

Hey, I lurked for several months before joining and making my first post.. I've managed to sneak in a few since then.. when I'm not too busy sorting.

Welcome to the site Merwanseth. Glad you finally joined. Many of us here are old time collectors and just enjoy the comraderie of a shared interest. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby pennypicker » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Hello and welcome to the boards from an "Oldie - Newbie" who joined back in November. Not sure if I still qualify as a "newbie" but I will always be an "oldie". :lol:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Welcome from another Oldie I have posted a lot an enjoy Our community but truth be told less than 50% posts were worth it. I have learned how too stay on topic :lol:

So have Fun an enjoy your self Rosco :D
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby myfundsarelow » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:59 pm

Welcome, another fine oldie joins the ranks this comes from all good people on this forum,I to am a vet of the hunt brothers years back in the goodold days keep posting PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby sparechange » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:00 am

Welcome and I do remember the days of solid copper and silver rolls and returning many to the banks after searching. Hope you have many good searching day ahead.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Merwanseth » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:54 pm

Thank you for your kind words of welcome. To briefly answer your some of your questions and comments , I am a Chiropractor and have been practicing since the late 1970's. My training and research over the years has led led me to study many other complimentary and holistic arts and sciences, including various forms of progressive nutritional support and treatment, tropical disease treatment - especially via ayurveda, pH balancing - very important, and emergency first aid treatment when little if any modern technology is available.

Now, enough about me... Yesterday I found 12 pre-1930 Lincolns in one cwr and a 1943 penny in the next one! In those two rolls alone, I found about 50 pre- 1982 coppers! Although I order about three boxes of pennies a week, I think I'm going to try to find a way to get more cwr's, as they have always had much higher yields for me. They just take so much time and energy to locate around where I live... Any suggestions about how to find and buy cwr's would be appreciated.
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing