Another question on Copper Penny weight

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Another question on Copper Penny weight

Postby Sheba » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi all,

I think this may have been covered before, but will ask again. Her goes ... Can anyone give a ball park figure for the following questions:

1) If a five gallon plastic bucket is filled completely to the top with copper pennies, approximately how many pennies are in the bucket?

2) If a five gallon plastic bucket is filled completely to the top with copper pennies, approximately how much does the bucket weigh?

Thanks to all the mathmaticians and physics geniuses who have this figured out :D

sheba
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Re: Another question on Copper Penny weight

Postby inflationhawk » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Ok I'll extrapolate from a one gallon paint can. I once got 5000 pennies in that, filled to the top, so I would say 25000 pennies in a 5 gallon bucket max. A copper penny weighs 3.11 grams, so that is 77,750 grams or 171.4 pounds. I hope you ate your wheaties this morning if you plan to move it.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks for that answer inflationhawk. I've understood that 147-150 pennies (approx) equals 1 lb. so unless my figuring is way off (which it certainly could be :), I'm 'guessing' that a 5 gallon bucket of pennies is worth somewhere around $260.00? Does this sound right?

Thanks for any answers anyone gives.

sheba
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Shaken.. not stirred?

It can depend greatly how well the coins are settling. This is why many folks shake their buckets to get more in them. After 3 or 4 gallons it can get a little tough to shake though. $260 sounds about right. I generally figure a 5 gallon bucket at $250 if you leave a little room at the top to avoid spillage. !50 coppers per pound will get you pretty close on weight estimate. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Common Cents » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:53 pm

I think $300 face is more accurate. I use half-gallon plastic juice bottles to store, and these hold 3000 pennies pretty comfortably. I also use 150 pennies/lb. for my calculations.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pachucko » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:52 pm

And still..... no consensus. :lol:
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing