Pricing Wheat Cents

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Pricing Wheat Cents

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:30 pm

Fellas and Gals, I need your good advice about giving a fair price for common date 40's and 50's Wheat cents. A friend of mine asked me to sort thru a small tub full (13"x9"x5") of Lincoln cents that she had been stashing for 50+ years and keep what I want (I want all of them) and to just give her "what I thought it is worth." I started sorting last night and so far I've pulled out 1,050 Wheats with a third of the tub to go. The rest of the cents are pre-82's so I will give her face for them.

What do I give her for the Wheats? I've never sold or bought cents before, just the pay for face that I get at the bank. There are quite a few of them that are in really good AU condition. I've been hoping to run into some pre-40's Wheats but so far nothing but 40's-50's.

Any advice you have to give me would be deeply appreciated. Thanks folks!

DirtyFingers
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Re: Pricing Wheat Cents

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:37 pm

I would say they are worth between 3 to 5 cents each for circulated common wheats. Uncirculated ones might get up to $1 if they are high end but very doubtful there are any of those. I am no expert, this is just what I have observed.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wagsthadog » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi there-

Are you buying them as an investment, or to resell?

If it was just an unknown party, and I was buying them to "flip," I'd offer 2.5-3 cents each. But, if it's a buddy, definitely 4-5 cents each. Bulk bags of 5000 wheats typically get 4 cents each all day long.

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:49 pm

wagsthadog wrote:Hi there-

Are you buying them as an investment, or to resell?

If it was just an unknown party, and I was buying them to "flip," I'd offer 2.5-3 cents each. But, if it's a buddy, definitely 4-5 cents each. Bulk bags of 5000 wheats typically get 4 cents each all day long.

wags

Wags, I'm throwing them in with the rest of the Wheats I have stashed and then I'll probably have to be reminded later on that I have them. ;) I'll probably give them to my grandkids someday.

A sidenote: My friend was going to take them to the bank if I didn't take them. Somebody would have been in Wheatie heaven if she had of.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Since you are buying from a friend....the right thing to do is call your local coin shop and see what they are paying for the wheats. Give your friend that price. Right is right and friends are friends! I have 2 local shops that I visit here. One pays 3 cents per decent shape wheat...the other pays 3.5 cents on any wheat. You take care of your friends because you never know...they may run into more coins or know someone who is gettin rid of some coins.....you never know....it's KARMA!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:15 pm

strange....i dont make money off of my friends and they dont either. But on the other hand generosity is nice.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:58 pm

I would offer 3 cents per wheat for common dates and price any better ones individually.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Unless you like sorting through the whole tub, and have a bit of OCD, then just weigh the tub and calculate the number of total cents. Then figure on a percentage of the total that are wheats and agree with your friend for a fair offer.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:27 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Since you are buying from a friend....the right thing to do is call your local coin shop and see what they are paying for the wheats. Give your friend that price. Right is right and friends are friends! I have 2 local shops that I visit here. One pays 3 cents per decent shape wheat...the other pays 3.5 cents on any wheat. You take care of your friends because you never know...they may run into more coins or know someone who is gettin rid of some coins.....you never know....it's KARMA!

You're right, TJCF. That karma thing can work for or against you. I'm stopping in my coin shop tomorrow and I'll ask him what he is paying. That's a good idea, thanks much!

It seems like most everyone is suggesting a 3-4¢ range per wheat. I'll see what the coin shop says and bman's suggestion of pricing some of the better grades alittle higher is also a good and fair idea. This lady knows absolutely nothing about coins and I want to do this with a clear conscious.

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate it.

DF
Last edited by DirtyFingers on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Unless you like sorting through the whole tub, and have a bit of OCD, then just weigh the tub and calculate the number of total cents. Then figure on a percentage of the total that are wheats and agree with your friend for a fair offer.

MH, I thought about using your suggestion but I'm almost done sorting. If there's ever a next time I will try using your idea.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:43 am

If she was just going to turn them in to the bank for FV, then give her FV plus 2 cents per wheat cent. You did the work and a favor to her.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:26 am

i can buy plenty of wheats at 4 cents, and they often dont sell. if they are 40s and 50s, i would pay 3 or 3.5 cents to a friend.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby abe » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:23 pm

If she was gonna take em to the bank anyhow just save her the trip.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing