hoarding zinc

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: hoarding zinc

Postby exbingoaddict » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:04 am

inflationhawk wrote:A zinc penny is worth 0.6 cents, not .06 cents. If zinc doubles in twenty years, it would be worth 1.2 cents. So basically, for every penny you invest in zinc today, you would get a 20% return on it over 20 years in that scenario. No thanks! I would rather re-invest that penny to buy another box of pennies from the bank to hopefully get a copper one. It makes no sense to hoard zinc until copper percentages go way, way down and/or zinc raises in value. The opportunity cost of holding zinc in the form of a penny is too high today.

A mistyping on my part. :oops:
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby jerry278 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:43 am

inflationhawk wrote:A zinc penny is worth 0.6 cents, not .06 cents. If zinc doubles in twenty years, it would be worth 1.2 cents. So basically, for every penny you invest in zinc today, you would get a 20% return on it over 20 years in that scenario. No thanks! I would rather re-invest that penny to buy another box of pennies from the bank to hopefully get a copper one. It makes no sense to hoard zinc until copper percentages go way, way down and/or zinc raises in value. The opportunity cost of holding zinc in the form of a penny is too high today.

Who says it will double in twenty years? Nobody knows really. The value of copper in 1982 was also about .6 cents, and see where its at today, roughly twenty years later. Consider this: the melt value of copper didnt exceed face value until 2006. Like I mentioned earlier I am sure SOMEBODY was speculating into the future and holding copper cents way back in 1982 but it wasnt until 2006 that interest in the pre-82 really began to grow. People probably thought you were crazy back in 1982 to hoard something that was worth .6 of a cent. Ok so flash-forward to present day. People now sort with a 'copper return rate ranging from 10%-30% max. Obviously 30% is an expectional rate. For something that was discontinued over thirty years ago thats a remarkable rate of finds. That window however seems to closing at a rate which is arguable. The key thing I think that should be considered is this: We are obviously going to see a composition change sooner than later. Your average person couldnt care less. Then most likely the penny will be elimated entirely some time following this. Obviously nobody knows dates. IF/WHEN the penny is elimanted entirely there will most likely be a 'window period' where you can cash your pennies into the bank or some sort of 'recovery program'. Most people CURRENTLY see the penny as absolutely worthless :shock: and will either go straight to the bank or completely disregard any pennies they might have in their 'piggy bank'. By this time coppers should be more or less gone :cry: and there *Will be zincs but they will either be completely disregarded or quickly exchanged for cash, in the hopes that 'they can get rid of these worthless pennies, quick and painlessly for some cash...'
So, the point is that zincs are in *almost in the SAME EXACT POSITION that copper cents were twenty years ago. The industrial uses vary but nobody can really say whats going to be the metal or alloy of the century. MAYBE its going to be *cheap or 'semi precious metals' like zinc. The biggest difference is that the window *after the composition change will be much shorter, than the window between pre-82's and zincolns, because the penny will likely be elimanted sometime, probably. Imagine when the banks no longer sell boxes of pennies. The penny is completely out of circulation. Many people want this NOW.
Zinc is entirely speculative just like copper, gold and silver despite what some people may claim.
A 1 troy oz. zinc bullion bar is roughly $6. Alot of people think because of the high mintage rates of the zincolns that worrying about those is absolutely useless. But think about it. Aside from people sorting boxes, who has all those zincolns..? Your average person probably has a dollar or two worth in a piggy bank. Realcenters, clearly dont have zincolns or have a lot of zincolns and are frantically trying to get rid of them. The people that have the zincolns in such abundant supply is A) Business (some dont even want penny change) and B) The Banks.
When the zincoln is elimanted the average joe will cash in their piggy banks worth, Busineses will efficently convert them at the banks, and well the banks will have all the zincolns! So, when the banks have the zincolns they'll just ship them back to the mint. If the penny is elimanted, probably 2/3rds of zincolns will be back at the mint in a year flat.
The point of this thread was just to hypothesize that maybe just maybe the zincoln isnt COMPLETELY worthless. Claiming that its too much money to tie up in some zincs is kind of ridicolus. How many of us are currently 'TIED UP' in $1 bills or any bills for that matter. Whats their 'melt value' 8-). Pennies are still (for the moment) legal tender you know. You can pay with zincolns.
This argument may seem completely ludicrous, but if the penny is elimanted those zincs are gonna be gone fast. Either in the street (b/c they'll be inaccurately deemed 'worthless') or back at the mint. But 20 years down the road we may wish we saved SOME zincs. The mint clearly thinks they have some value, enough to be elimanted.

Zinc, the poor mans copper 8-)
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jerry278 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:50 am

Sorry InflationHawk I said doubled! I meant quadrupled or 10 times!
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Couldn't resist, I dont consider 1982 to be roughly 20 years ago. More like 30, hehe.

Deal

p.s. Plenty of time left to get zinc if you want it.
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jerry278 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:09 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:Couldn't resist, I dont consider 1982 to be roughly 20 years ago. More like 30, hehe.

Deal

p.s. Plenty of time left to get zinc if you want it.

Ok if we want to get into semantics, It was 24 years until copper exceeded face value (2006)

There is obviously time left. The point of this thread wasnt to get people to rush to the banks to buy boxes of zincs. It was to get the idea out there, that maybe zincs arent worthless and have room to grow. One could go on and on about how we'll always have zincs, but changing/potentially elimanting it is whats being talked about NOW. The window period for zincs is going to be much shorter than it was with coppers because following the composition change, the penny will most likely be elimanted entirely.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Until the zinc value in a penny is at least worth 1 cent, I think there are better uses of my currency. Thats a personal choice. However, as the zinc value in a penny gets closer and closer to 1 cent, the more justifcation can be made for hoarding zincolns. I wish I would have been more on the ball and starting hoarding copper in 2006, but better late than never. It's all opportunity cost, and determining where to get the most bang for each unit of currency.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jerry278 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:45 pm

I agree inflationhawk as zinc moves closer to one cent, the idea of hoarding zinc will likely grow in popularity. Sometimes however we fail to predict or see whats 'right under our noses'. You could argue that having $100 in zincs is much better than a $100 in the bank. Obviously theres a lot of 'anti-zinc' sentiment, and rightly so! its the COPPER penny forum! However I fear a day when there will be no coppers left, and coinage is worth not .6 of a cent but .0006 of a cent, and that'll probably be our next '25 cent coin' or something. I think you catch my drift.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Point taken Jerry. I think the next step shouldn't be a new metal/material for the penny, but the abolition of it altogether. Having spent time living in a country with .05 being the lowest denomination, it was not bad and I think made transactions easier not dealing with .01.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jerry278 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:55 pm

Thats interesting inflationhawk. So much of transactions are with debit/credit cards anyway. I personally think theres something to be said for keeping the penny. Its almost as if you can say "I am going to pay exactly this. Not a penny less, not a penny more." But yes I also believe day to day cash transactions wouldnt really be that affected. The only problem with abolishing the penny is that it would be a clear sign that we have inflation. The general public isnt likely to connect the dots though.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Electronic payments could still be done to the nearest .01, but cash transactions rounded to the nearest .05. This could potentially encourage the use of electronic payments which are more efficient for the banking system anyway. Consumers could then choose when to pay cash and when to pay electronically. If people complain about the rounding and don't like it, they can pay electronically when they feel they are "being screwed". Merchants don't have to round their prices to the nearest .05 necessarily,they can keep individual items priced the same and just round up or down the final total IF cash is being used.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thedrifter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:38 pm

inflationhawk wrote:Electronic payments could still be done to the nearest .01, but cash transactions rounded to the nearest .05. This could potentially encourage the use of electronic payments which are more efficient for the banking system anyway. Consumers could then choose when to pay cash and when to pay electronically. If people complain about the rounding and don't like it, they can pay electronically when they feel they are "being screwed". Merchants don't have to round their prices to the nearest .05 necessarily,they can keep individual items priced the same and just round up or down the final total IF cash is being used.

One more step toward a cashless, trackable, and taxable world.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:21 pm

So replacing the penny with your imagination
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:25 pm

It would mean the elimination of all thoughts because there would be no more pennies to pay for them.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jerry278 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:59 pm

inflationhawk wrote:Electronic payments could still be done to the nearest .01, but cash transactions rounded to the nearest .05. This could potentially encourage the use of electronic payments which are more efficient for the banking system anyway. Consumers could then choose when to pay cash and when to pay electronically. If people complain about the rounding and don't like it, they can pay electronically when they feel they are "being screwed". Merchants don't have to round their prices to the nearest .05 necessarily,they can keep individual items priced the same and just round up or down the final total IF cash is being used.

So I understand electronic payments be done to the nearest .01 and cash rounded to the nearest .05 (up or down potentially). So if people are unhappy about their total being rounded up they can be electronic as you say to the exact price. Well lets say you have $50 in a checkings account. After a series of purchases you are left with $35.72 in your account and you wish to withdraw the cash. So what is the bank going to do round it up .3 cents to the nearest .5 cents? This seems like it could be very costly, overtime, rounding up each person .2, .3 cents etc. Surely the banks wouldnt round you down. Then people would have no faith in them at all. How would this work?

It seems that the only way this would work is that if each and EVERY product sold was rounded to .5 cent somehow.

If this happens I cant see it rounded down to the nearest .5 for some reason, it would probably get rounded up. This would get very costly for the consumer VERY quickly. Just imagine going to the supermarket. You buy 30 items rounded (down, probably up .4 cents max) Thats an extra $1.20. Doesnt sound like much but thats just a 'small' (for some) trip to the supermarket. What about shopping for clothes, movies, restaurants, anything. It could easily be an extra $100 a month a person, just from elimating the penny. For people who live paycheck to paycheck this could be very significant. People would have to cut down their budget considerably, and would have to just stop, going shopping, to the movies, etc. etc. on any regular basis. Their would be more lost revenue from business then from what was gained by rounding up .5 cents.

If its rounded down to the nearest .5 cents thats another story, but that doesnt seem as likely.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennybug » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:29 am

stevkc wrote:
Pennybug wrote: I think that certain zincs WILL become more valuable (hence the tie in previously mentioned)... 2010 and 2011's (look that thread up). I think THEY will be the ones to have (apart from the 2009's as already mentioned). Why? Because #1 they will be BU condition and #2 they will be the second most rare of the zincolons with the new shield design (next to the 2009 designs). THAT is why I am holding onto a few boxes of zincolons.

OK, but you're not really hoarding zincs, which is what the start of the thread suggested doing. You're just hoarding (collecting) a CERTAIN specific coin(s) that you think will have collectible value. That's fine I suppose if you really think 09, 10, and 11s will be valuable, but as for hoarding post-82 pennies for the zinc content, I can't see any reason why they would suddenly gain value from eliminating or changing the content of the penny.

Hoarding is hoarding... regardless of your reasons. Hoarding defined: a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use. It doesn't say anything about "for their melt content" or otherwise. The thread sates... hoarding zinc. That is what I am doing... on a small scale. I understand your point and what your saying though... :)

As for the eliminating or changing content and the zinc's value... see Gresham's Law.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:07 am

Prices get rounded both ways and yes the bank would only give you $35.70, but if your balance was 35.73 you'd get 35.75. Sometimes you come out ahead and sometimes you lose a penny or two, but in the end it works both ways. Should we worry about deflation?

It worked very smoothly in Australia. I lived it and it didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I liked it and I am just as frugal as other realcenters. Rampant inflation did not occur, and even if a slight imact were felt, it would only be a one time event. The elimination of the lowest denomination of currency has been successfully implemented in multiple countries and there is no reason it can't be successful here.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:12 pm

inflationhawk wrote:Prices get rounded both ways and yes the bank would only give you $35.70, but if your balance was 35.73 you'd get 35.75. Sometimes you come out ahead and sometimes you lose a penny or two, but in the end it works both ways. Should we worry about deflation?

It worked very smoothly in Australia. I lived it and it didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I liked it and I am just as frugal as other realcenters. Rampant inflation did not occur, and even if a slight imact were felt, it would only be a one time event. The elimination of the lowest denomination of currency has been successfully implemented in multiple countries and there is no reason it can't be successful here.

INTERESTING!... So what happened to all the physical "pennies" or whatever it was that was eliminated? Did the gov't lift melt bans? Did any hoarders make good profits from the scenario? Is there any coins left and what are they used for (if you know)? This sounds like a new topic emerging... but it's VERY INTERESTING to me to have someone on here who's been there during such a time in a country. I'd LOVE to hear more about this!... as would MANY here I'm sure.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:26 pm

I should restate, I lived the aftermath after the change was already made. I was there in 2004 and 2005. What happened during the transition is a good research topic, but Australia seems to have survived. The one cent and two cent coins were eliminated in 1992, long before I had any interest in such matters or had visited Australia. All I can say is that any transition is worth the pain considering the complete waste of tax dollars that are spent making a penny. The nickel can still be cost effective by changing the metal content. I just want to sort, sort, sort before it happens!!!
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Everyone who is upset about prices being rounded to the nearest 5 cents instead of the nearest cent, what about back when a cent was worth 25 cents in today's money and there was no half cent coin? You will survive I promise.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:50 pm

My thoughts on this are simple:

We used to have a "large cent" - the mint changed to a small cent without demonetizing it, they simply ceased production and it fell out of use
We used to have a "half cent" - the mint stopped making it and it has never been demonetized, it just fell out of circulation
We used to have a three-cent nickel - the mint stopped making it and it has never been demonetized, it just fell out of circulation
We used to have 90% silver coins - the mint changed composition and never demonetized them, and they have mostly come out of circulation

I have no reason to believe that withdrawal of the penny will be any different. The mint will stop making it, it will remain monetized, but it will fall out of use over the course of five years or so, until people no longer find it useful and/or available for everyday transactions.

AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Yes, someone else posted the half cent was worth 11 cents in today's economy when it was dropped.

AGgressive Metal wrote:Everyone who is upset about prices being rounded to the nearest 5 cents instead of the nearest cent, what about back when a cent was worth 25 cents in today's money and there was no half cent coin? You will survive I promise.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby jerry278 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Awesome feedback from everyone! It remains to be seen how the U.S. would be affected by the elimantion of the penny in todays context. But I agree with most that say it wouldnt be THAT painful of a transition. For some reason though the idea that you could pay the price to the penny with electronic payments and not cash doesnt seem like it would bode well. Not everyone has a debit/credit card mind you there'd be some VERY unhappy people when they would find out that they have to pay more (even if it was just .3) because they choose to pay with legal tender and not electronically. These people would be upset on the principal probably.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:11 pm

jerry278 wrote:Awesome feedback from everyone! It remains to be seen how the U.S. would be affected by the elimantion of the penny in todays context. But I agree with most that say it wouldnt be THAT painful of a transition. For some reason though the idea that you could pay the price to the penny with electronic payments and not cash doesnt seem like it would bode well. Not everyone has a debit/credit card mind you there'd be some VERY unhappy people when they would find out that they have to pay more (even if it was just .3) because they choose to pay with legal tender and not electronically. These people would be upset on the principal probably.

Back in the gold standard days, but after state sales taxes became popular, there was the problem of people buying small items and then having to over-pay by a penny in order to cover the tax (remember, a cent was like 20 cents today, so if you buy something that is $1.05, a 7% sales tax makes it $1.1235, rounded up to $1.13, so you lost almost 7/10ths of a cent, or about 14 cents in today's money). So what happened was that in your change you got State Sales Tax tokens for the amount you were overcharged, and these were denominated in Mills (1/10th of a cent). You could then redeem them somewhere once your got a dollars worth, or something like that. In Ohio, they used stamps instead of tokens, and I think school kids often collected them and donated them to their local schools (a local coin dealer told me about doing this himself).

However, a cent is no longer worth what it was, so I doubt people would demand a similar system, although it is doable based on this past experience.

AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:10 pm

jerry278 wrote:These people would be upset on the principal probably.

Lots of people get upset on the principle of things, but it doesn't change anything. I've been upset for years on the principle that it's a given the Kansas City Royals will finish in last place, yet that doesn't change the end result.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Those who anger over principles can always change their principles.

Go Cards.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing