Hoarding Standards 101

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Hoarding Standards 101

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Hoarding standards

Pennies 101: the new Rodebaugh version.

A little information/history is always good before starting the hobby
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(United_States_coin)

Risk of hoarding: Worst case scenario if copper prices plummet. If you're hoarding pennies hobby doesn't work out, you can always return your investment back to the bank for face value. The only thing you lost was time, effort, and minor inflation depreciation. Very low risk investment potential.

Pennies: What to sort for keeps and what to discard.

Zinc - These are all 1983 to present. You do not want to keep these for their metal content as the face value is worth more than the metal content probably will be for years to come. Use these to exchange for more unsearched rolls/more money for more rolls.

Mixed composition 1982. Approximately 75% of all 1982 Lincoln cents in circulation are copper. The rest are zinc. It is worth your time to purchase a scale, sorter, or develop some other way to distinguish these cents.

Copper - These are all 1959 to 1981, You want to keep copper pennies. Copper pennies have more metal content value than their face value but are still regularly in circulation. Routinely a single copper cent has held a melt value at or above 2 cents. Although at this time it is 'illegal' to deface money/melt coins, you can store your hoard away until this law is repealed. One can also trade or sell copper pennies above face value without much difficulty at this time.

Wheat Pennies - These are pennies minted between the years of 1909 to 1958. All of these pennies are made of copper, excluding coins minted during 1943 that were made of solid steel plated with zinc. All coins from this series are worth more as a numismatic coin/collector value.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_Pennies

Indian Head - These pennies were minted between 1859 to 1909. These are rarely found in penny rolls. There are a few still left in the wild. Any of these found should be reported in the tracking thread on this forum; so bragging rights may be claimed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_head_cent

Foreign Coins – Most common of these that one may encounter is the Canadian cent. Please refer to Coin Composition Thread for more detail on what to hoard.

Mint Errors There are numerous mint errors. Some are rare; some are not. Some are valuable; some are not. Either way this can be an exciting part of your search. Buy a Cherry Picker’s Coin Guide to learn about most of the known varieties or use the website link below.
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/Erro ... rrors.html

Altered Cents This group includes any stamp, cutout, or alteration made to a penny after it has left the mint. These are just neat and are often saved for fun by the average sorter.

For coin calculators to determine your copper penny hoard with current copper prices, go to
http://www.coinflation.com/coins/baseme ... lator.html

For the fastest most reliable copper/zinc coin sorter on the market right now, go to:
http://www.ryedalecoin.com
Last edited by JadeDragon on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: made sticky
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Hoarding Standards 101

Postby dakota1955 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:19 pm

great post for this new fourm
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Country » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Nice!!! :D
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Good job Chris!

Great attitude!. Let's get it on!

The new forum site..that is.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks guys.

I think we can make this place great.....all good things take time.

My advice is pick something you like and transfer it over. My next thing is: my feedback
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby lewbo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Great post and fitting that is one of the first
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 pm

Don't forget the steel ones :!:
hobo finds

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:28 pm

darn! I am on it
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby snappy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:00 am

2nd try on this fourm....

I just made the switch from the old foums to this one.
snappy
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:33 pm

You should print it out and take to schools and get a whole new generation of numis out there!
misteroman

Postby frugi » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 am

very nice! It could not have been put any better.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby appjoe » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm a newbie to this and I posted in a few diff. threads asking what some of the abbreviations you use here mean such as (ag. frn. ect. )I figured some out some on my own but so far no one has answered my request. Can someone please tell me or point me to a thread that list them.
Thank You
Joe
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Joe-

Ag is silver, Au is gold, Cu is copper, Ni is nickel, frn is Federal Reserve Notes (cash), wtshtf is when the stuff (You know. The stuff.) hits the fans, dyodd is do your own due diligence, and that's about all I can think of right now. If you have any more, just ask us.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby appjoe » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Thank You
Now that I see it I feel stupid. I got my 1st $100 box of nickels today I hope to be able to go through it tonight. I also picked up a $25 box of pennies and I ordered a $500 box of halves the bank said it would be in this Friday.
Thanks again
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mcsusanquilts » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:29 pm

I save all of the pennies. The original copper pennies are thicker, and if you were to purchase them; 3 times more expensive. The newer pennies may be face value, but they are free if you pick them up from the ground. Canadian pennies is the only pennies that I do not like. They are useless here.
mcsusanquilts

Postby BadThad » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:34 am

You should add that Wheat and Indian cents are worth more numismatically than in bullion. I'd hate to see a hoarder simply tossing those into the pile.
BadThad

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:24 pm

BadThad wrote:You should add that Wheat and Indian cents are worth more numismatically than in bullion. I'd hate to see a hoarder simply tossing those into the pile.

And to think I have been just tossing those in the pile. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby centavosdecobre » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:17 pm

On the topic of mint errors, has anyone found any 1983 coppers? Do they even exist? If so, do they have the "light" letters/numbers like some 1982´s, or do they have the "heavy" (or bold) letters/numbers like the other 1982´s? Is there something about them that a hand-sorter would notice before heaving them into the zinc pile?
centavosdecobre

Postby ModernSurvival » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Great post for a new person to the forum, like me. ;)

One addition on the 82s, no need for a scale just give em the flick test. Flick them with a good strike of the thumb nail, the coppers will make a nice ping sound the zincs a quite thud. Do it with a known copper and a known zinc a few times and you will know exactly what I mean. With that you can sort 82s or nasty pennies where it is hard to read the date with just a flick.
ModernSurvival

Postby CanadianNickle » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:41 am

Thanks for the advice.
CanadianNickle

Postby NoCents » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:11 pm

mcsusanquilts wrote:Canadian pennies is the only pennies that I do not like. They are useless here.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
They've sold better than US for me. I'll take'um. :twisted:
I like my guns the same way Obama likes is immigrants.....UNDOCUMENTED!!!!

NoCents User Feedback
NoCents
Penny Collector Member

Postby lsujoeylsu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to this. After years of dealing football cards I lost interest and want to get into something a little safer and more "liquid." The first post of the thread is very helpful to someone like me starting out. I have 2 young boys and I would like to pass on to them more than just cardboard. Before I jump right in buying things I would like to find more information about both this and silver. If anyone could pm me with links or books I could buy that would possibly help it would be very much appreciated. This is my first post although I have been reading everyday to try and learn as much as I can. Thanks for all the information.
Cash back in ebay purchases with no minimum payout.
http://www2.quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5ADP
lsujoeylsu

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:07 pm

lsujoeylsu wrote:Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to this. After years of dealing football cards I lost interest and want to get into something a little safer and more "liquid." The first post of the thread is very helpful to someone like me starting out. I have 2 young boys and I would like to pass on to them more than just cardboard. Before I jump right in buying things I would like to find more information about both this and silver. If anyone could pm me with links or books I could buy that would possibly help it would be very much appreciated. This is my first post although I have been reading everyday to try and learn as much as I can. Thanks for all the information.

Although it pains me to give any help to someone who shows the slightest support towards LSU, I will give you this advice - you cannot send a PM until you've managed ten posts. Shouldn't be hard. Poke around a bit, add a few comments, and then you'll have taken the first step into securing your boys a safe and sound future.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Finder » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

I wouldnt read a lot of books about it imo. Its sufficient to look at a 1 yr copper chart, the price of a penny in circulation at face value (.01), and what they sell for on ebay.(.02)
In addition the melt value on coinflation.(nearly .03)

Thats all I really "needed" to know. The rest is just icing on the cake.
Although there is plenty of helpful information here to hone my penny hoarding skills, and it much appreciated.

Let the boys help, that will be a blast for them. My girls enjoy it. (until they get bored with it)
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NashuaSolstice » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:25 pm

very nice post!
NashuaSolstice
Penny Sorter Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing