Canadian Government Scraps Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Canadian Government Scraps Pennies

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:16 am

So, can Canadians melt down their pennies now that they are being phased out? Curious to see how that plays out because if the US gov decides to scrap the penny, two tiers will happen I bet. Overnight scramble to get any cents because of the specter of them being more "valuable" now that they are not being minted and a second tier of people realizing the copper in them is real and fungible ala like silver coins.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:24 am

JerrySpringer wrote:So, can Canadians melt down their pennies now that they are being phased out?

In Canada you only own the value stored in the coin but not the coin.

From--http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/customer-service/faq-1100010#Q1

Is it illegal to melt or deface Canadian coins?
The Currency Act and The Canadian Criminal Code clearly state that no person shall melt down, break up or use otherwise than as currency any coin that is legal tender in Canada.

and from-- http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-52/page-2.html#h-8

Melting Coins
Marginal note:Melting down coins

11. (1) No person shall, except in accordance with a licence granted by the Minister, melt down, break up or use otherwise than as currency any coin that is current and legal tender in Canada.
Marginal note:Offence and punishment

(2) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or any condition attached to a licence referred to in that subsection is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding two hundred and fifty dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or to both, and, in addition to any fine or imprisonment imposed, the court may order that the articles by means of or in relation to which the offence was committed be forfeited to Her Majesty.

R.S., c. C-39, s. 10.

and from http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn/faqs-consumers-6900004#.Uostw42E4kI

Yes. The penny will retain its value indefinitely. As such, consumers can use pennies for cash transactions with businesses that choose to accept them.

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:37 am

I wonder what "current" means. They are legal tender, but are they still current? I would tend to think not. Is it legal to melt Canadian silver coins in Canada?

Anyway, even if it's never legal, you can at least export them to melt.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:28 am

scyther wrote:I wonder what "current" means. They are legal tender, but are they still current? I would tend to think not.

Don't you have to have a reason to "think not"? What's your reason?

They still work in commerce. You can still trade 100 of them at a bank for a dollar bill. I wonder what "think not" means.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 am

scyther wrote:I wonder what "current" means. They are legal tender, but are they still current?

From---http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-52/page-1.html#docCont

Current Coins
Marginal note:Current coins

7. (1) A coin is current for the amount of its denomination in the currency of Canada if it was issued under the authority of

(a) the Royal Canadian Mint Act; or

(b) the Crown in any province of Canada before it became part of Canada and if the coin was, immediately before October 15, 1952, current and legal tender in Canada.

So this is still a Current Coin.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:10 pm

68Camaro wrote:
scyther wrote:I wonder what "current" means. They are legal tender, but are they still current? I would tend to think not.

Don't you have to have a reason to "think not"? What's your reason?

They still work in commerce. You can still trade 100 of them at a bank for a dollar bill. I wonder what "think not" means.

In this context, "think not" means "I think Canadians pennies (may) not be considered current". It means the same thing (in any context) as "not think so" or "think otherwise". It's a rather common expression.

My reason for thinking not is that the mint doesn't make them anymore and doesn't distribute them anymore. Most stores don't give them out in change anymore. Most banks don't have them anymore, and they're being melted en mass. They're not really part of the current coinage system. A (US) 2-cent piece is still legal tender, but since they're not currently used, I thought they may not be considered "current". Apparently I was wrong.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:12 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
scyther wrote:I wonder what "current" means. They are legal tender, but are they still current?

From---http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-52/page-1.html#docCont

Current Coins
Marginal note:Current coins

7. (1) A coin is current for the amount of its denomination in the currency of Canada if it was issued under the authority of

(a) the Royal Canadian Mint Act; or

(b) the Crown in any province of Canada before it became part of Canada and if the coin was, immediately before October 15, 1952, current and legal tender in Canada.

So this is still a Current Coin.

Thanks.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 pm

It's been one year now, so at the risk of being annoying, I'll ask again:

Are any banks still giving out pennies? Any businesses still giving them out in change? Has the price of copper pennies increased? Has anyone been able to sell non-copper pennies for over face value? Any information about how many pennies have been destroyed?
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:25 pm

I can't answer any of your questions but here in upstate NY, there are still more CA pennies in a roll than wheats and I save all the Cu and stainless (for I'm not sure what reason yet,) but still thinking it would make some cool scale mail.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:19 am

johnbrickner wrote:I can't answer any of your questions but here in upstate NY, there are still more CA pennies in a roll than wheats and I save all the Cu and stainless (for I'm not sure what reason yet,) but still thinking it would make some cool scale mail.

Same here in western NY. I have not yet seen a decrease in the number of canadian pennies in a bag.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby brexzz1 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:17 pm

Most banks wont give them out. If you look at the donation jars for coins at Tim Hortons and McDonalds you will notice not very many pennies. The transition has been very good. I still have thousands of pounds of Canadian copper left. Slowly selling it here and other places.
brexzz1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:18 am

scyther wrote:Are any banks still giving out pennies? Any businesses still giving them out in change? Has the price of copper pennies increased?

My credit union still saves them for me when they get them but some weeks I get some,
some I don't, just depends on whether anyone else that deals with the same branch of
the same credit union brings any in that week.

I haven't tried any banks in the last year, the big 5 were quite adamant about not giving
out any more, so if I branch out my sourcing it will be to other credit unions or the smaller
banks.

I have not gotten any in change from any bussiness for quite some time. When I spend
some steel core pennies the clerks notice, most places take them but a few don't, pretty much the same as the last time I reported in on it.

Like brexzz1 I haven't been seing them in donation jars anywhere so most of the general
public seems to be tapped out. Also since nobody is getting them in change for those of
us that still posses them they aren't "extra" change.

I haven't sold any copper, for the amount that I do have I'll most likely hang onto them
for the long haul. It's not like i'll be getting (many) more at this point.

I had one person express an interest in even my steel pennies but that's at face, when I
catch up my sorting I'll put together some for them in $50 increments. (The most that's
safe to deliver to them transporting them in my bike basket, that's about where the
basket starts wobbling. ^_-)

I do have one friend that got another friend to import him a roll of U.S. cents so he can
pay exact where it's to his advantage.

johnbrickner wrote:I can't answer any of your questions but here in upstate NY, there are still more CA pennies in a roll than wheats and I save all the Cu and stainless (for I'm not sure what reason yet,) but still thinking it would make some cool scale mail.

Probably the same ones recirculating because nobody other than us pulling them out.
Kinda like why I'd more easily find wheat pennies in Canada than in the U.S. back before
the discontinuance. Nobody up here other than a few people like me were specifically
pulling them out of circualtion. (Canadian coin shops wouldn't buy them like U.S. coin
shops would so you really couldn't sell them above face without taking them back to the
U.S.)

I'm pretty much keeping my copper and (very) slowly spending the steel ones, may offer
some to friends at some point. As for zinc Canadian cents I still haven't decided whether
to hoard or disperse them. I'm thinking I sould leak the zinc ones into the U.S. so they'll
stay in circulation longer. ^_^
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:56 pm

fansubs_ca wrote:
scyther wrote:Are any banks still giving out pennies? Any businesses still giving them out in change? Has the price of copper pennies increased?

My credit union still saves them for me when they get them but some weeks I get some,
some I don't, just depends on whether anyone else that deals with the same branch of
the same credit union brings any in that week.

I haven't tried any banks in the last year, the big 5 were quite adamant about not giving
out any more, so if I branch out my sourcing it will be to other credit unions or the smaller
banks.

I have not gotten any in change from any bussiness for quite some time. When I spend
some steel core pennies the clerks notice, most places take them but a few don't, pretty much the same as the last time I reported in on it.

Like brexzz1 I haven't been seing them in donation jars anywhere so most of the general
public seems to be tapped out. Also since nobody is getting them in change for those of
us that still posses them they aren't "extra" change.

I haven't sold any copper, for the amount that I do have I'll most likely hang onto them
for the long haul. It's not like i'll be getting (many) more at this point.

I had one person express an interest in even my steel pennies but that's at face, when I
catch up my sorting I'll put together some for them in $50 increments. (The most that's
safe to deliver to them transporting them in my bike basket, that's about where the
basket starts wobbling. ^_-)

I do have one friend that got another friend to import him a roll of U.S. cents so he can
pay exact where it's to his advantage.

Thanks for the update.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby goldensilveronline » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Very interesting indeed. but who care about it.
Buy the best pure gold and silver bullion coins and bullion bars at the lowest prices online. American gold and silver eagles, Swiss credit sussie gold bars You can buy gold and silver online with a credit card, ACH, Bank Wire, or pay by check
http://www.goldandsilveronline.com/
goldensilveronline

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:59 pm

goldensilveronline wrote:Very interesting indeed. but who care about it.

Most RC members invest in base metals.

This forum is composed of many who stack copper cents.

Canadian cents demand a premium due to their purity and maybe soon, scarcity.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dannan14 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:00 pm

You replied on the 12th page of the thread....
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:30 pm

dannan14 wrote:

You replied on the 12th page of the thread....

Also the reply is totally generic (could be said about any topic) and in broken English, not to mention being a complete contradiction. I think this is a bot or something.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby millermaher2016 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "scale mail"?
millermaher2016

Postby dannan14 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:20 pm

millermaher2016 wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "scale mail"?

A type of armor made by attaching thousands of small pieces of metal to a hardened leather base. Its appearance is similar to fish scales. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_armour
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue May 06, 2014 11:42 pm

22 Minutes humorous take the penny phase out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mS5Q52N43c
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby fansubs_ca » Wed May 07, 2014 4:55 am

JadeDragon wrote:22 Minutes humorous take the penny phase out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mS5Q52N43c

LOL! That's awesome sticking it to the penny deniers! ^_^

I have had the occassional clerk try to talk their way out of accepting pennies.

The guy at Mac's was a bit reluctant to accept my exact change but eventually
accepted it. Costco seems to have no problem accepting pennies from those
of us who have them.

Next time I should just use my Amex and make the store pay merchant fees.
Usually Amex is the most expensive to process. ^_-

BTW, glad to see you back, I notice you were inactive for a while.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu May 08, 2014 7:46 am

JadeDragon wrote:22 Minutes humorous take the penny phase out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mS5Q52N43c

Sad at will not play in the USA.
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Fri May 16, 2014 12:00 pm

I have to get my occasional supply update. where are you guys at on percentages of .999 nicks and copper cents?
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:16 pm

I stopped into my LCS and was able to get at least 10 pounds of Canadian coppers and a decent size pile of .999 Canadian nickels.....at FACE value! :thumbup:

Happy with this little score!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri May 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Newfoundland singer-songwriter pens lament for Canada’s lost penny

Newfoundland singer-songwriter Liam Peacock released a new song today, dedicated to Canada’s lost penny.

“They’re all scrap copper now,” he sings in the video embedded below.

Canada announced almost a year ago that the penny would be discontinued and Feb. 4 marks the day when retailers will begin rounding them up, never to be seen again.

A few other cute send-offs are appearing across the country, too. Others are less sympathetic, though.

Listen to Liam Peacock’s “1,800 Coins” below.

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing