stolen pennies recovered

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

stolen pennies recovered

Postby gollum » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:49 am

Hi guys:

Posting the same update I just made on the older site, b/c I want to make sure certain people receive my appreciation.

Here's the original thread...

http://realcent.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~16991.asp

Here's my update:

Hi everyone! Wanted to update all of you on this thread about what happened...short answer: I got my stuff back believe it or not!

First of all, thank you very much for all the support and advice many of you gave me on this thread and privately. I really appreciate it and all of you! This board and the people on it are the best. As you might guess, I kind of went into hiding for several weeks after this incident, depressed and discouraged. But I'm back and sorting again in a big way!

Ok, here's what happened (trying to make a long story short): first of all, the police were completely 100% useless. I filed that police report and never got a call back from anyone. I even called the cop back directly who I filed with and he said 'if the prosecutor thinks it's worth it they'll call you.' I then interviewed a bunch of my neighbors and actually got a tip from one of them that helped me solve the case. Basically it ended up being two pathetic teenagers from the area who did this opportunistically. This was actually a relief b/c it meant no one had been stalking me, following me from banks, involved in drugs, etc. I knew the family they were from and confronted them. In the end, the two families came over to my house, apologized profusely, thanked me for not pressing charges, and gave me all my nickels and pennies back! They had only cracked open $500 worth out of about $3000 total, so one of the parents even gave me $500 in cash!

It was most definitely a happy ending.

Oh yeah, I also fixed the lock on that door that got me in trouble in the first place, spread the boxes throughout multiple locations, and took some other precautions now that I should have taken in the first place.

Thanks again to everyone for your support!
gollum

Re: stolen pennies recovered

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:16 am

Lucky man!

Glad you were able to get most of your coin back.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 am

Outstanding,

If my kid ever does something like that, I'll call the cops myself.

I wonder how long those punks parents will continue to cover for them. It's no wonder they are the way they are.

Congratulations.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:38 am

You sir are very lucky. So are the kids. I would have kicked their asses, or if they were too young found someone to do it. Thievery cannot and will not be tolerated by me.

The parents are scum as well. How would they not nitice their kids with $3K in cents? Ones again, lucky you.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby misteroman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:56 am

Great news!!!!!!!! Take that money and buy an alarm system. They are usually free install and 20-30 a mo. Worth it in just peace of mind from what already happened
misteroman

Postby CU Baker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:12 am

Great to hear about the recovery. Hope its the justice that sets these kids on the right path.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXTim » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Good work!
It just goes to show that you can't rely on law enforcement for anything anymore.
Keep your guns loaded!
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jasmatk » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:01 pm

glad you got them back.I agree cops are useless about 5 years ago i had 2k in electronics stolen from my house and in the end got a check for $4.25 from the state of florida for being a witness to the state.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:59 pm

NOW THAT IS GOOD NEWS..congrats on the recovery...I had some baseball cards stolen when they were valuable...didn't have to look far...it was the neighbor kid.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Absolutely awesome. It seems in an area where crime is not all that prevalient, that when something happens such as this, neighborhood heathens are usually a good place to start looking. Teenagers whith nothing ese better to do start looking for trouble.

Scotty
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dakota1955 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:49 pm

we all need to take care so that we also don't get taken
dakota1955

Postby smartinson » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:43 pm

WOW THAT IS WONDERFUL. Did you make them haul them all back one box at a time? So glad to hear that you got them back.
smartinson
Penny Collector Member

Postby PennyPauper » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:04 am

Glad you got your coins back and the cash to equal it out.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:15 am

:D That is Great news
We need to maintain connection with our neighbors
They can help just keep our eyes open. :shock:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby drpineapple » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:39 am

Glad to hear you recovered everything and are happy, that is most important. I would just say the parents and kids have been misguided and it is unfortunate that their behavior was that way. Hopefully they will change and be better. Though if they don't be wary of it happening again. To the wrong person the money seems 'juicy'. Good luck.
drpineapple

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 am

Very glad to hear that you were able to recover your property. Thanks for posting to update us.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Nice job. Maybe you should become a part-time detective ;)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:18 pm

So happy to hear the great ending to your sad experience! I've been off the forum for several weeks recovering from a pretty bad bike accident which, thank the good Lord, I escaped serious injury, receiving only one fractured rib, scrapes, bruises and pulled muscles. I'm finally feeling pretty much 'normal' again. So maybe its time to start sorting again, too! :D

Sheba
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Congrats! :D
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby gollum » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:59 am

They brought them all back at once in a pickup truck (probably the one they used to steal it), and placed them one box at a time into my garage, while their parents watched from the driveway with me. I was so pleased to get it all back that I genuinely wasn't even angry at that particular time (although still should have been).

smartinson wrote:WOW THAT IS WONDERFUL. Did you make them haul them all back one box at a time? So glad to hear that you got them back.
gollum

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing